Author Topic: 400/4 build. Paused due to other commitments. But starting up again  (Read 37191 times)

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 build. Paused due to other commitments. But starting up again
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2023, 02:52:45 PM »
I could only think thats down to the age of the bike....my Hypermotard you see in the pic has a lithium battery and all the lights are LED...ive not had one fail....and theres horror stories of the Reg/rec's failing and litium batteries failing and ive seen none of it...same for the rsv4 and my z1000....all have been fine. Going back to the 400 - i mean its a really old bike from a tech point of view...!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2023, 02:53:15 PM »
Steve should set up another section for non standard bike's. Member wouldn't get so confused  ;)

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2023, 02:56:54 PM »
From an electrical point of view maybe.... as mine is completely different under the hood (which is what i wanted) - that being said the signature finishing touch for me will be a set of Nitron rear shocks (fully adjustable) when i pay my credit card off! totally not needed as its rolling pig iron but more of an aesthetic finishing touch!

Maybe convert yours to motogadget - i am a convert - once id got the hang of it, its wasnt too hard plus its removed (i would say) about 70% of the old wiring and making it more reliable in the process...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 02:59:25 PM by ComfySofa »

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2023, 06:00:10 PM »
This lot on Andy’s is through the M unit so they won’t blow as they would running through old Honda OEM wiring. It’s all new wires going on so shouldn’t have any issues with things going pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, i am aware of that Roo. But, other member do not. On my build i was advised by a member to put all LED's in and he reckoned they were the best thing since sliced bread. He knows who he is and forgot to mention that he had a M-unit and had upgraded every electrical component  :o
I’ve only ever heard of issues trying to plumb in LED’s into old wiring, I was advised never to do it. If you’re going full LED’s it’s basically a rewire job. To save the grief.

Thankfully the lights on the Viffer are awesome so wouldn’t want to change them in the slightest. Wouldn’t want to go into that lot what with 3 computers, ABS management etc. the harness is a monster on this, I shall never grumble about having lack of access ever again on the CB’s, the Viffer is an utter pig to work on.

Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2023, 06:37:15 PM »
Not electrically related but on starting it last night it was leaking fuel out of the float bowls....nothing to do with Bryan - first and foremost  he made the box of sharpnel i gave him look like carbs again for which im eternally grateful - he did say at the time "ive set them as best as i can..." first and foremost its 20+ years since ive messed with carbs and its never turned out well! - is there anything i can adjust while theyre in situ - or do they have to come out for adjustment..?

I've found just shaking the bike from side to side usually fixes it.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2023, 07:43:46 PM »
From an electrical point of view maybe.... as mine is completely different under the hood (which is what i wanted) - that being said the signature finishing touch for me will be a set of Nitron rear shocks (fully adjustable) when i pay my credit card off! totally not needed as its rolling pig iron but more of an aesthetic finishing touch!

Maybe convert yours to motogadget - i am a convert - once id got the hang of it, its wasnt too hard plus its removed (i would say) about 70% of the old wiring and making it more reliable in the process...

I like to keep things simple and standard. Custom bike builder " Desperate Dan's" never used motogadget back in the 80's, they just used a 10p chocolate block connectors  ;)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2023, 07:45:19 PM »
That'd be great if you could (i could possibly get them on order today!) - thanks very much.

This invoice shows the ones I bought for my 500 as can't find my previous invoice - the SKU number shows the colour of the LED's

.LED's by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

I fitted all LED to my silver 550, all of them blow within 6 month's . I even had to get Ash to make a box of tricks just to keep the LED on the number plate light. Now all back to standard bulbs apart from the number plate light  ;)

Aside from cheap LEDs a few years back I've had no issue with converting to LED if the contacts are reasonably clean.
 My Jeeps an old 55 plate all the festoon bulbs work fine as they did on our previous Jeep.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2023, 07:46:57 PM »
Your Jeep is a car and not a sohc Honda  :o

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2023, 07:50:31 PM »
This lot on Andy’s is through the M unit so they won’t blow as they would running through old Honda OEM wiring. It’s all new wires going on so shouldn’t have any issues with things going pop.

Yes, i am aware of that Roo. But, other member do not. On my build i was advised by a member to put all LED's in and he reckoned they were the best thing since sliced bread. He knows who he is and forgot to mention that he had a M-unit and had upgraded every electrical component  :o
I’ve only ever heard of issues trying to plumb in LED’s into old wiring, I was advised never to do it. If you’re going full LED’s it’s basically a rewire job. To save the grief.

Thankfully the lights on the Viffer are awesome so wouldn’t want to change them in the slightest. Wouldn’t want to go into that lot what with 3 computers, ABS management etc. the harness is a monster on this, I shall never grumble about having lack of access ever again on the CB’s, the Viffer is an utter pig to work on.

Maybe Ash should explain as, he found that they can't be just fitted and built me a box of tricks. He did not build a box of tricks for no reason  ;)

Offline ComfySofa

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2023, 07:52:46 PM »
Just had a chat with Roo on the phone - ive set the air/fuel screws but apparently i might have my throttle cables routed incorrectly....apparently theres a diagram somewhere...ive got my original manual here along with the Haynes but cant see it...yet! (they feel loose) but apparently its very critical.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2023, 07:53:59 PM »
A decent quality LED  can cope with a wide range of voltages some are not polarity specific plus they use lower currents so why re-wire. Never ever ever had a problem.👍👍👍
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 07:59:52 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 31, 2023, 08:01:50 PM »
I can only say about my experience with LED on a standard wiring on a SOHC and not what i have read or you tube videos that i have watched  ;)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 31, 2023, 08:20:52 PM »
I have well over 5 years experience with LEDs on cars & house  friends vehicles never had a problem.

Don't believe all you see on U-tube Graham
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 08:31:12 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 31, 2023, 08:34:03 PM »
My 1300 is using an LED headlight bulb on original wiring, it's been in for 2 years now, as it's a modern bike the headlight is permanently on, so that's a lot of hours it's been used. I can't see any problem with old wiring, the draw of an LED is far lower than a halogen bulb, why would they cause problems?

I know that indicators LEDs can be a problem but for me it's about buying quality bulbs, get the best and they last.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2023, 08:36:59 PM »
I agree completely with that Ken.👍👍👍
You get what you pay for plus the quality even from China has improved no end.

I have a bedside lamp that pre-dates our house fire in 2017 it is a touch sensitive LED with a plastic casing - still going strong.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 08:40:46 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal