SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

Detecting clutch slip via kickstart

<< < (2/2)

K2-K6:
Agree its slightly difficult to discern against engine compression as cylinder pressure bleed off feels a little like clutch slip if you're trying to resist movement with that method.

Perhaps a zip tie round clutch lever and click it in one at a time while trying to push it along in gear may give you an accumalative/incremental feeling to detect the onset of slip.

taysidedragon:

--- Quote from: Oggers on May 20, 2022, 09:50:57 AM ---I should have mentioned this is not a Honda- rather a 58 Velocette Viper where drive from the kickstart to the box then via the clutch to the primary drive. I need to be able to tell when I just have clutch slip in order to adjust the clutch. Velos have a unique adjustment technique.

--- End quote ---

Not being negative,  but why don't you ask on a Velo forum or VMCC. You can't beat the knowledge of people who know the marque and have done that adjustment hundreds of times?

Lobo:
Not sure I understand the issue… but take a ‘plug out, put a lolly stick down the ‘hole and notice when it ceases to move versus kickstart action?

Bryanj:
I have done a velo and it should be easy to feel clutch slip as its a big single and on compression you feel the kickstart move with no effect

Oggers:
Bryan

Thanks for that. At present, when compression is found, the kickstart is very stiff - as it ought to be I guess, so I assume no clutch slip. Clutch adjustment on Velos is pretty unique, and I need to adjust it to when it just slips before making the final adjustment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version