Author Topic: What do you call Original  (Read 1695 times)

Offline F2 Paul 876

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
What do you call Original
« on: May 30, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »
Hi Thought this mite get the site buzzing a bit.
As i have just started a rebuild of my bike, at what point did it stop being original.
I will repaint the frame, and engine, replace brake pipes with Honda Ones and i will replace any bolts / nuts that are not orig spec with ones got from a Honda dealer.
To me this means i have now not got a original bike, i will have a refurbished bike.
Why aim i asking this i have seen loads of adverts for bikes over the years saying total original spec, then you read they have powder coated the frame and all other things black, motad ex, and the like.
To me this is not Original, what do you think or is it to heavy to think about, Or aim i just a grumpy old Man now. ;D
Paul
Passed Bikes
CB 250 G5
CB 550 K3
CX 500 B2
VT 500 E X2
Still got
CB750 F2   2 off  1 Rebuilding  1 Waiting Rebuild

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: What do you call Original
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »
Thats a good one Paul, other than the consumables, an original bike could be the same one that left the factory, an original spec bike could mean a bike restored to original spec using new parts, an unmolested original could be one that has not been touched/ altered since leaving the dealers,
If you were to rebuild your bike but restore the finish on things like nuts and bolts, chrome etc , is that the same as restoring a bike buying original spec bits from all over the world,
on the other site there was a post where some guy in Belgium, died leaving 11 norton commando's still in the crates as delivered from the factory, now thats what i call original
Pete

Offline PMK

• SOHC Member
  • Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles & Idiot for Hire
    • View Profile
    • Karpettiger Maine Coon Cats
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 07:46:32 PM »
I always see original as faded paint worn in the sort of places that riders touch. But cared for too. The bike in the pic is a good example

Most people see a worn out old bike, but if you look you'll see little touches like a nicely lubed and adjusted chain and cables.

Then there was my Guzzi, scruffy but loved

God I miss her!

Or there's this

I've had several disgusting thoughts about this bike  ;D
He who breaks something to see how it works has left the path of wisdom and become an engineer

Honda CB750F2 1978
Harley Sportster 883 1999
Matchless G80 1960

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:33:12 PM »
An original bike is one that's had minimal interference, I'd not be picky over a few replacements of say exhausts etc as long as the milage reflects the number of replacement parts and I personally love the well used look. My 500/4 outfit has the paint rubbed thru by the riders knees and covered 160 000, the rear gaurd, and exhausts are definately non original, the correct engine is stripped pending new 2nd gear and check over by someone more competent and she has a 550 lump in there for now. A few minor mods like pipes etc can still be in keeping with originality in my oppinion. Restored is an overused term, a lot of resto's are really overhauls and then there is what I tend to do which is reviving hulks to working order using servicable parts preferably of original speck because it's easyer to know what to expect or order that way and if I wanted modern brakes then I'd buy a modern bike and reap the rewards of the modern engine too.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal