Author Topic: Early UK CB750 K0 restoration - why do one when you can do two [emoji2957]  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Early UK CB750 K0 restoration - why do one when you can do two [emoji2957]
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2022, 12:46:16 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous, just need to win the lotto now.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2022, 01:37:12 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and compliments - it really does mean a lot coming from members of the forum.

I just dropped the bike up to Andy, and she’ll be on display on the BSA owners club stand at the classic car and bike show this weekend. How ironic..

She looks rather stunning out in the sunshine.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2022, 02:03:19 PM »
I presume they are US imports James due to the high bars?

Saying that I'd have thought trying to find UK bars almost impossible even if you wanted to fit them.

As usual, stunning job.

I'll also presume you'll sell them now? I can see the buyers sitting at a bike meet and claiming all that hard work was his own, yeah mate, polished those casings myself, by hand yeah, made my fingers bleed it did, yeah, also did the spray job, not bad for a rattle can is it, What's that mate, would I do yours for you, sorry mate, I'd love to but I said this would be my last restoration, missus complaining and all that. Sources for all those parts, oh dear is that the time I really must go, yeah I know I just got here but I'd sooner be riding the bike than talking about it, see ya.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2022, 02:18:31 PM »
Nice looking UK bikes James.
UK early 750's came with high bars and very easy to get low bars  ;)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2022, 02:40:00 PM »
I presume they are US imports James due to the high bars?

Saying that I'd have thought trying to find UK bars almost impossible even if you wanted to fit them.

As usual, stunning job.

I'll also presume you'll sell them now? I can see the buyers sitting at a bike meet and claiming all that hard work was his own, yeah mate, polished those casings myself, by hand yeah, made my fingers bleed it did, yeah, also did the spray job, not bad for a rattle can is it, What's that mate, would I do yours for you, sorry mate, I'd love to but I said this would be my last restoration, missus complaining and all that. Sources for all those parts, oh dear is that the time I really must go, yeah I know I just got here but I'd sooner be riding the bike than talking about it, see ya.

Jesus that made me laugh Ken - did you get out of bed on the 'cynical' side today ha ha?.

Both are UK delivered bikes - the first UK batch came with the higher bars actually.

In all honesty, I imagine they'll be sold fairly soon Ken. I keep saying I'll keep this one, must keep that one, but ultimately I don't have the resources or space to store these properly once restored, and I'd much rather someone had one of these bikes to enjoy rather than me hoarding loads of them in dark places lol.

But, they won't be cheap that's for sure, and I'm in a fortunate position where I don't need to sell them.

Ultimately, over time, I'll be selling the lot, and the only one that I intend to keep til the very last is Sandcast Number 820. I just need to find someone trustworthy to build the engine on that (now that Trigger has 'retired', selfish B@st@rd).

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2022, 05:16:32 PM »
Am I missing something,  why do you not rebuild Sandcast 820 engine yourself and claim ALL the bragging rights ?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2022, 05:25:36 PM »
Not cynical, seen it done more than a few times, mainly by my brother in laws, one bought a chopper, almost completed, just need a bit doing on it. Seen him claim everything was done by him, all his own work, no help from anyone etc. My other brother in law bought himself a GL1500, the spray job done on it was amazing, I've seen him sit there and claim the credit for that, for the theme ( it was a gangster related thing, lots of murals of villains done on a pearl white background, bonnie and Clyde, James Cagney, Al Capone etc) Never heard such BS in all my life.

I'm betting that at any bike meet there are more than a few people there who claim to have done stuff that they haven't. If I've had anything done by someone else, like a spray job (can't do those) at least I say it's been done by someone else. You've referenced Menno, Trigger and the bloke who does your polishing, so top marks to you.

I think you may prefer to restore the bikes than ride them, I like doing both TBH, depends on the weather  ;D ;D ;D

Didn't know that about the bars and makes me wonder why Honda decided the UK market preferred flatter bars for future models. Maybe it was the reviews.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2022, 05:42:36 PM »
Am I missing something,  why do you not rebuild Sandcast 820 engine yourself and claim ALL the bragging rights ?
Ted - I don’t have the workshop facilities, work environment, or the tools / skillset to do ‘proper’ engine rebuilds to the standard of someone like Graham (Trigger).

I know my limits, and I’d rather outsource work to real professionals when I know I’m likely to bugger it all up .

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2022, 07:21:40 PM »
Absolutely stunning J ... Has Andy still got his Bomber?

Is it 'DDT' next ?
I forgot to ask him Ash, but I have a feeling he sold it earlier this year to fund the purchase of a Kawasaki H2. Hope you’re well mate - we should have a natter on the phone to catch up soon

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2022, 08:03:06 PM »
Just picked up the thread James - absolutely bludy brilliant, as usual
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Kev B

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2022, 08:43:57 AM »
Hi, I just joined mainly to say hi To JamesH, and congratulate him on the fine restoration of the twins, My fave has to be the red one, I'm a sucker for red bikes this model in particular.

I'll be sending a PM should my lotto numbers eventually win.

Well done Sir.

I will be hanging around I think even though I am and probably will remain bikeless.

Kev

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2022, 11:11:42 PM »
Hi, I just joined mainly to say hi To JamesH, and congratulate him on the fine restoration of the twins, My fave has to be the red one, I'm a sucker for red bikes this model in particular.

I'll be sending a PM should my lotto numbers eventually win.

Well done Sir.

I will be hanging around I think even though I am and probably will remain bikeless.

Kev
Lol thanks Kev. You sound a bit like a stalker, but that’s cool .

Glad you like the bike. Now go and get your lotto ticket.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2022, 09:58:21 AM »
A bit late as I had to read the whole thread again and marvel at the achievement.
It's 1971 all over again.  They look brilliant.
And just like 1971 I know they would always be to big and heavy for everyday use for me, which is a shame.
I would be great to keep them together. Especially if you can retain that old reg no.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2022, 12:01:15 PM »
Beautiful! The bikes I mean, not you James. 😂
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2022, 05:03:06 PM »
Thanks again everyone. Seems to be well received at the show, even if it’s on a BSA stand lol..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal