SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

Any electrical wizards in the Edinburgh area?

<< < (3/4) > >>

alfiembra:
Ok did a quick check, there are 3 wires coming off the primary coil a pink, a green and a yellow.
According to the Haynes manual I have, the resistance (apologies if I’m using the wrong terminology) across the coil should be between 0.2 and 0.6 ohms. Mine is right on the top end at 0.6 ohms this is measured on the pink and green wires which are soldered to each end of the coil. Also get the same reading at the connector ends where they join the main wiring loom. The third wire (yellow) comes straight off the coil windings, and according to the Haynes manual there should be continuity between it and the green wire, I’m mostly getting an open circuit reading with that but occasionally a flicker of it trying to make a circuit. I need to find a better wiring diagram for the bike as the Haynes one doesn’t have a specific diagram for my model. However it does seem to suggest an issue with this coil.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
I'm not skilled to advise but many decades ago I put a set of magneto coils in our airing cupboard for several days to dry them fully out. I was told that old coils due to age can absorb moisture over decades then sometimes dry out & work again. It worked for me that one time.

alfiembra:
Well made some progress checked the continuity again on the coli and this time was making continuity ok between the yellow and green wires, found a slightly better but not exact wiring diagram for the bike and noticed the pink and green wires are terminate in a double socket at the battery end, there a corresponding green wire from the loom with a thick pink band around it which I had connected to the green wire in the double socket. So swapped the green with the pink band and connected it to the pink in the double socket and got one very weak spark. Tried a different spark plug and got a few more sparks but very weak and intermittent. Certainly starting to think the coil could be the problem having had that dodgy continuity issue then weak sparks when I could actually get a spark at all. Will check a few other things and see if I can finally get the correct wiring diagram. Thanks for all the help.

Bryanj:
Clean, gap points and set timing first as everything needs to be good to get a decent spark, i have a vague recolection of a condenser wire causing problems on one years ago

Oddjob:
Saw Millyard the other day on Henry Coles show and they were having trouble getting some old bike started, flux gap says Millyard, personally I can't ever recall hearing that expression before. I can't remember how he changed it now but it worked and the bike started first kick.

Possible it's the same for the C50?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version