SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

Any electrical wizards in the Edinburgh area?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bryanj:
C50 doesnt use battery to start, c90 does.
Most common reason for c50 to not spark are
Points gap wrong
Wiring earthing
Kill/ignition switch fault.

The ignition switch gronds the points wire to stop the spark so disconnect and try again

alfiembra:
Thanks everyone for your replies great suggestions there for me to check. I’ll be trying again over the next few days and will report back.

alfiembra:
Sorry for the long delay in replying to the suggestions to get my C50 to spark. Long story short tried everything suggested to no avail and haven’t been able to get a professional opinion on what the problem is. However I did have a theory put to me that maybe the flywheel has lost its mojo and the magnets are not creating enough magnetism to generate a spark. Don’t have a spare and probably looking at over £100 for a replacement. Any opinions? I certainly think it’s plausible as I’ve changed everything else to no avail.
Also I’ve seen YouTube videos on how to resurrect weak magnets using neodymium magnets. Anybody tried that?

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: alfiembra on September 07, 2022, 09:39:47 AM ---Sorry for the long delay in replying to the suggestions to get my C50 to spark. Long story short tried everything suggested to no avail and haven’t been able to get a professional opinion on what the problem is. However I did have a theory put to me that maybe the flywheel has lost its mojo and the magnets are not creating enough magnetism to generate a spark. Don’t have a spare and probably looking at over £100 for a replacement. Any opinions? I certainly think it’s plausible as I’ve changed everything else to no avail.
Also I’ve seen YouTube videos on how to resurrect weak magnets using neodymium magnets. Anybody tried that?

--- End quote ---

Not saying loss of magnetism is not the cause but more likely a connection on the windings I would have thought.
Is the flywheel showing signs of magnetism in terms of attraction to Ferous steel?
Someone on this forum should have detailed knowledge I would have thought.

Does this link help in terms of tests.
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uggJMnuexMc

alfiembra:
Thanks for posting that link, very interesting.
I have checked for continuity, which it’s got, but I haven’t checked to see if the numbers are out with specification, off to do that now.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version