SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Best way to mend broken stator wire?

<< < (2/3) > >>

alexdecker:

--- Quote from: Bryanj on June 27, 2022, 10:02:39 AM ---The lump is the oroginal crimped connector which you have to cut out to get the "clean" copper winding.
You MUST scrape the insulating varnish off to solder to the copper

--- End quote ---

Alright, so just to get it completely right: The original is not soldered, but fastened with a crimped connector? Or is it both? Could I just use a crimped connector?

Oddjob:
I wouldn't Alex. Best to do both IMO.

alexdecker:

--- Quote from: Oddjob on June 27, 2022, 01:12:28 PM ---I wouldn't Alex. Best to do both IMO.

--- End quote ---

Okay, will do that then. Another quick thing - I noticed that most people secure the yellow wires to the coil with some string. Is that a specific string material, or will anything non electrical work? Would like to secure the wires so they don’t get stressed near the connection point like they previous were.

MrDavo:
When I had to solder a new loom to my Z1 alternator, Ashimoto was able (and kind enough) to  provide me with little OEM solder coated springs which went over the tinned ends of the alternator and loom wires, then heated to melt the solder. There was more to it than that, ie which solder (lead based), plus heat shrink over the joints, but the final job was neat and hopefully permanent.

I used a cable tie to secure the wires, then everything got soaked in epoxy to keep it all rigid and insulated.

Bryanj:
Anything small dia and non conductive

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version