SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Top / bottom yoke race advice

<< < (2/6) > >>

Sesman:
Oh, tapers. Now there’s a topic for conversation. Despite shimming the bottom race I couldn’t achieve a good compromise between the original headlamp ear fitting and bottom yoke lock stop clearance. I went back to ball races in the end.

Bryanj:
Look at ebay item 284859242264 (sory cant do links!) The balls are held in a captive cage so easier to assemble, says F1, 2, 3 but i think all the fours are the same.
Tapers can be good BUT take a lot of getting spacers right and some sets dont leave a lot of thread at the top, i find they dont last any longer than balls as they dont fully rotate which is what they are designed for so still get notchy but are easier to adjust.
You pays your money and takes your choice

Oddjob:
Don't buy crap makes like All Balls and I find them far superior. I tend to fit NTN or Koyo Tapers.

There was a good thread on the USA forum about them, someone measured the OE bearings and then Tapers and IIRC the tapers need a 3mm spacer underneath the bottom race to get them correct. I've never had a ounce of problem with mine.

Sesman:
Hi, odd-job.

Do,you have a source for those bearings. I presume you used a 3mm spacer for success? The item I purchased from DS was a waste of time with multiple spacer depths.

Sesman:
This thread was my experience….a frigging nightmare.

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,24991.msg229217.html#msg229217

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version