Author Topic: CB 500 resurrection  (Read 19395 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB 500 resurrection
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2022, 12:53:29 PM »
Never  ;D ;D ;D
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2022, 12:59:10 PM »
Oh and when fitting the clutch casing, don't forget there's a washer that goes onto the kickstart shaft to go between the circlip and the casing.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2022, 03:32:46 PM »
With so many mixed parts your build must be like mixing up two jigsaw puzzles then trying to complete one without a picture to help.
Amazing progress so far - I would be having sleepless nights plus getting up at 2.00 am to check something.

Then when you think you have done it Ken points out something you have missed - beware - Ken can be the joker in the pack sometimes.
Yeah, its the mix of parts that is causing a few issues, and TBF dont think I could have got this far without the forum. and of course if it goes bang on start up it will be you lots fault :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2022, 03:35:00 PM »
Oh and when fitting the clutch casing, don't forget there's a washer that goes onto the kickstart shaft to go between the circlip and the casing.
Yep spotted that, finding it is a different matter :)

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2022, 10:40:55 AM »
Some progress has been made but now I cant find/don't have the two locating dowels that slip over the studs.
Re the washers that go under the stud nuts, will any washer of the correct diameter do or must they be the specific ones, dont have them either? [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2022, 12:59:26 PM »
Some people say they are copper and some say they are steel. Both are correct. I've seen both fitted. They are the same part number as the lower crankcase bolts use. I have a load lying around. How many do you need?

The dowels may have been destroyed by the PO as they can resist coming out and they tend to distort when you force them. I'd order some new ones.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2022, 01:04:16 PM »
I would. They are a couple of quid each, but new is good for peace of mind.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2022, 01:09:10 PM »
as mine were a bit passed tneir best. Keeps your head in the righ place if your'e sure you've done it the best  you can.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2022, 04:02:46 PM »
Good news is I found some dowels in the 550 block that was on the scrap pile.  :)
Having another look for washers.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2022, 04:20:06 PM »
How hard is it to get the cam through the chain?
I "dry" fitted the head and just cant get the cam through the sprocket, the chain dont seem long enough. I removed the tensioner and its still to tight.
I must be doing something wrong or there's a nack I haven't got. I have to go out now but Ill google for a "how to" video when I get back.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »
There is indeed “a knack” . Study the manual carefully. The trick is to start with the chain on the right side of the cam sprocket, locate one bolt then slowly turn the cam to locate the second bolt. Trust me. Providing you have the correct number of chain links it will work…it’s just a fiddle. It might take a couple of goes to ensure the timing is correct.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2022, 06:01:11 PM »
Look at the cam sprocket and you can see where it will drop down more, chain not on sproket but alongside fit cam through both from lh side if memory is right get chain on sprocket with the sprocket dropped down then walk it round sprocket till marks in correct place, use large bladed screwdriver to lift sprocket onto cam.

This will only work if you have fitted the front cushion in the correct place as per book

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2022, 06:15:33 PM »
Fit tensioner and make sure the bottom of it locates in the slot in the lower crankcase. Release adjusting nut, push blade back as far as it will go and then lock the adjusting nut. Then fit head.

Fitting the camchain is just something you get used to. First time is just learning, after that it becomes easier and easier. As Bryan says, locate sprocket on cam loosely, just let it dangle, fit cam through chain from left hand side, drop into place, fit chain on sprocket and as Bryan describes walk the chain round until the marks on the sprocket line up parallel to the head surface. Line the mark in the cam as per manual and then lift the sprocket on with a screwdriver. Check alignment before fitting any bolts, sometimes it looks right but is a tooth out when it's mounted, in which case knock it off and redo after moving chain a link. 

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2022, 07:00:15 PM »
Start from this position and do as Ken and Bryan suggest. It’s a faff, but it works.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2022, 07:32:11 PM »
Thanks all. had a couple of beers now so will look in the morning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal