Author Topic: CB 500 resurrection  (Read 19430 times)

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: CB 500 resurrection
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2022, 03:03:27 PM »
You are certain that the drum is in the neutral position when inserting the screw and that the ball bearing is the correct one? I’m sure it will be fine and apologies for stating the obvious.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2022, 03:11:31 PM »
Yes its in the neutral position I can see the indent, there is no ball bearing, its the latter kind. Just the screw and a collar.
I may have the wrong collar Ill post a pic when I get back out there, probably tomorrow

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2022, 04:08:52 PM »
Got to be the wrong collar. Does it jam if you don't fit the collar eg just the bolt?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2022, 04:40:16 PM »
No it works ok without the collar. I just went out to try again and turned the collar over as one end was very slightly more rounded and now it works.
Possible the collar is worn?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 21, 2022, 05:01:26 PM »
That bolt was modified early to late and without the tab washer can bind the drum, also the later bolt has a loose collar that fits into the drum groove to locate it sideways, if the collar is wrong in sizes, diameter or depth, it could bind as well

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2022, 09:24:30 PM »
I think the collar is worn, but its working ok now.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2022, 04:24:49 PM »
A few more bits bolted on and tappets set. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2022, 04:29:14 PM »
Hers a pic with a distant relative. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2022, 04:43:39 PM »
Can I suggest something Gary.

It's looking really good.

However when doing stuff like this you need to think of practicalities, like if I got a puncture by the road how would I go about fixing it, stuff like that. The reason I mention that is because it's better to have the rear spindle nut on the right side of the bike, yours is on the left.  Not a great thing but IF the spindle nut is tight, and for some reason they seem to be tighter after a few months than when you fitted them, mainly I think because we fit them with a socket but then by the road you have to try to get the spanner from the tool kit to get it undone and it doesn't have anywhere near the leverage. With that in mind it's better to be pushing down than lifting up, you can use your body weight going down, stand on it with your foot etc. You can't do that if it's on the left as the exhausts get in the way.

It's just a suggestion, you can ignore it if you want.

I don't know what that is inside the air filter box but it's not meant to be there. The tool tray has a small mesh fitting which goes over that oval shape and there is nothing on top of the air filter at all, it's completely open.

Saying that, I'd also suggest fitting the breather cap and covering the inlet manifold holes up with tape, you don't want anything to get inside an engine when it's open like that. Your garage looks very clean but dust/grit etc gets blown around.

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2022, 04:57:20 PM »
Good point on the nut, I put it that side cos thats where it is on other 500s Ive seen.
Yes mesh is missing on air intake (working on that) but the lid is on the filter box and tool tray is there, thats just a small auxilary fuel tank that got left lying about.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2022, 05:02:04 PM »
Ahh, there is no lid on the airfilter box Gary, the 550 has a sort of snorkel affair but the 500 hasn't, it's completely open and you can see the airfilter through the mesh when it's fitted. The upper brackets on the 550 holding the airbox in place has small studs fitted which the airbox snorkel fits and it's then held on with wing nuts, the 500 brackets don't have these studs, they are flat on top.

The 550F never got the tool tray Gary, the tools are inside the seat at the back. Hence why they got a snorkel to stop any water being dropped down there from the seat foam when you sat on it. For some reason Honda didn't seem to think that might happen on the 500 or maybe there are no holes above that point.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:04:27 PM by Oddjob »

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2022, 05:45:05 PM »
Well thats interesting, the lid I have clips onto the bolts that hold the airbox but it is a bit wobblily. Obviously not meant to be there.
Friday night is beer and pool so Ill investigate in the morning.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2022, 06:04:17 PM »
The European 500 got some sort of airbox cover but I don't think it's that one. They got different carbs though as well so compensate and run much different size jets.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2022, 10:11:44 PM »
This fecker.?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2022, 10:54:33 PM »
No, TBH I'd forgotten about that little thing. It's a cover that goes across the entire top of the box, has a small curled over section. I believe it was installed to reduce induction roar.

CMS haven't got that correct parts book for the European model, not sure where there will be one.

They come up occasionally on Ebay.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal