Author Topic: Master cylinder hone?  (Read 722 times)

oldchuffer

Master cylinder hone?
« on: August 20, 2022, 03:56:16 PM »
I'll shortly be starting with my brake master cylinder rebuild kit, do i need to give the bore a slight hone? If so, whats the best way? Thanks as always.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Master cylinder hone?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 04:02:17 PM »
Never heard of honing one and TBH if it needed it it's probably goosed anyway. A really good clean is normally all it needs and checking of course for score marks which caused the leak in the first place.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

oldchuffer

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 05:31:15 PM »
Saw it on an American youtube vid. I've never done it on any refurbs before. Bore looks fine so I'll clean it and leave it at that. Thanks Oddjob.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 07:59:51 PM »
I have used 1500 Grit on car wheel cylinders before without issue or  Brasso. If there is visible pitting / scoring - I would replace.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 09:16:02 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 10:55:52 AM »
did once have to do a polish up job on an SV1000 clutch slave cylinder. When the seals started leaking, I got a seal kit but found corrosion on the inside where moisture had been collecting. Used some very fine wet and dry to get rid, then a polish with solvol. Worked great and no leaks. Saved me the cost of replacing the whole unit.

But...as mentioned above.... if it was more than light surface corrosion, and pitting was present...then I doubt it would work. The pits would let fluid leak past, and tear up the seals. If you remove too much material, the seals will not press against the bore with enough force either, and you risk total failure. When it comes to brakes....thats not a good thing.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal