Author Topic: Assorted tuning questions  (Read 545 times)

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Assorted tuning questions
« on: August 25, 2022, 10:20:14 AM »
Hey all

Going through the manuals, I noticed that pretty much all the versions I can find online has some of the section regarding maintenance missing, more specifically the vacuum sync section. Why is this?

Is the vacuum gauge supposed to be on a specific measurement (an image in the manual has the needle between 20 and 30), or is it enough that they are the same measurement across, regardless what that measurement is then?

I synced them recently, and although it is idling much better now, it settles at different idle speeds when I'm idling. I think this might have to do with my throttle adjustment. I am a little unsure on the "negative" throttle play - am I supposed to be able to crank the throttle clockwise and have the bike drop even more in idle rev? Right now I have around 2-3 mm. play clockwise. When I use that play, the bike falls in revs. My theory is that because of this, whenever I am idling, the throttle kinda lands at different places every time I let it go. As a result, sometimes I idle at 1200, other times I idle at 1100. Does this make sense?

Offline alexdecker

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Assorted tuning questions
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 07:23:52 AM »
Bump

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 08:09:04 AM »
It is balance. As long as all the clocks are showing the same vacuum  ;)

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 11:09:32 AM »
Every thing else such as valve clearances and timings should be done first, carbs ideally float levels and slide height need to be done on the bench, when on bike vacuum is better balance at higher revs then the pilot screws can be tweaked to bring the idle into better balance, the idling problem is possibly down to slides being too far out of sync.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal