Author Topic: Problems Balancing carbs?  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
Problems Balancing carbs?
« on: June 12, 2010, 11:08:01 AM »
I wrote earlier in another thread about how i've encountered a number of multi-cylinder bikes that've experienced problems with the correct mixture settings & trying to balance the carbs.

If the inlet manifolds are removeable there's normally some sort of seal, & the proximity of this seal to the heat of combustion normally leaves this seal in a pretty sorry state after a few thousand miles. I first encountered this sort of fault on a friend's Kawasaki Z400 twin many moons ago. The bike had been into a dealer who couldn't find the fault despite a weeks worth of labour...they initially tried to suggest that it was the way that he was riding the bike...

Anyway, whenever you have the carbs off a bike like a 500/550 four it's a good idea to have a quick look see at the seals...as we all know the carbs are difficult to get on & off at the best of times...even more demoralising when the fault is there when you've just spent two or three hours getting the carbs back in place.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f1-super-sport-550-four-1976-england_model17113/partslist/E02.html

#15 on the diagram...
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

470four

Re: Problems Balancing carbs?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
Best check your mount rubbers too... my middle two 400/4 rubbers had had enough of being cooked for years behind the cylinder block, dried out and suffered a classic bond failure between the alloy & the rubber itself... :o

Couldnt get the top screws undone to get them off either, no room for an impact driver??!  Took the top corner out with a chisel, this allowed them to be rotated round out the way letting the tension off the screws, easily undone with molegrips...  ;D

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Problems Balancing carbs?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:10:10 PM »
That does not look too pretty, but needs must.

Useful trick is to spray the rubbers with WD40 or similar when it is running. If it improves, then the rubbers are leaking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal