Author Topic: Solenoid test  (Read 661 times)

oldchuffer

Solenoid test
« on: August 31, 2022, 01:36:33 PM »
I'm trying to test my old starter solenoid off the bike. I'm connecting it to a good spare battery i have on the bench, green/red to earth and yellow/red to positive. I'm getting a few sparks when connecting but i thought the solenoid might click but nothing.

Am i doing it right?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Solenoid test
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 03:47:50 PM »
I'm trying to test my old starter solenoid off the bike. I'm connecting it to a good spare battery i have on the bench, green/red to earth and yellow/red to positive. I'm getting a few sparks when connecting but i thought the solenoid might click but nothing.

Am i doing it right?

It sounds like you have the wiring right - it should definitely click pretty loudly . On the bench the polarity should not matter as its just an electromagnetic switch.

If you hold the casing can you feel a click?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

oldchuffer

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 04:09:56 PM »
No  its quiet. I've have another go and if nothing i'll get a new one. £18 from DSS

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 04:34:24 PM »
No  its quiet. I've have another go and if nothing i'll get a new one. £18 from DSS

The DS one is not anything like the original as the rubber carrier is all wrong being a vertical mount whereas the original is a horizontal mount with a double fitting.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 04:49:24 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

oldchuffer

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 05:52:33 PM »
Had another go,  tapped the casing and after a couple of goes its clicking very healthily again so all maybe ok.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 11:21:35 PM »
From past experience with varied vehicles with this type of solenoid, once they start needing the occasional "tap" to make them work, then they are usually on the way out, so make sure you keep the kickstart on your bike!  On one occasion the contact bar inside the solenoid had become so burnt with the arcing it refused to release meaning the starter just kept operating until the battery earth lead was cut!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal