Author Topic: LED indicator bulbs  (Read 734 times)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
LED indicator bulbs
« on: September 06, 2022, 07:08:00 PM »
Greetings gang. Just to set the scene, I now own a 1987  GB250 Clubman grey import, great fun, has managed to release a few remaining 'moments' from this 75 year old carcass. The indicator relay failed last week, a genuine replacement being available in California at an unbelievable price.  Thinking outside the box, it's no different to a car unit, 12volts, 2 x 21watt bulbs plus idiot lights. I looked on the website of my LED bulb supplier (Classiccarleds), and they offer a unit which has done the job, it will cater for filament or led bulbs or even a mix of the two, the flashing rate stays the same, and costs £8.25 + VAT.  After completing the task, I then looked at the 400 and thought hmmm, ordered another unit plus 4 LED bulbs, straightforward swap over of units, just plug and play, and if you are nimble with you fingers the unit will fit into the existing rubber housing for the original. Bulbs were all replaced, and WOW! They're good. Hopefully might help somebody with indicator issues. Stay Safe. Mike.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: LED indicator bulbs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 08:47:17 AM »
That's interesting information I thought until now if you fit led's you needed an expensive electronic  flasher unit to maintain the blink rate
Does the flasher have 2 or 3 terminals?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 09:35:32 AM »

The last one I bought off Ebay was £1.79 and had adjustable flash rate.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 09:37:32 AM by Moorey »

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 09:43:09 AM »
The flasher unit has 3 terminals Ted, same as the original one which I have replaced. Just used the existing wires and connectors, 'Plug and Play' as they say nowadays. If I can manage this computer technology I will try and add a couple of pics.  Just as an aside, I have no connection (sic) with the supplying company Classic Car LEDs, but must sing their praises. Having ordered the wrong bulbs for my 250 (my mistake), I ordered the correct ones mid afternoon yesterday, and they landed on my doormat at 09.00 hrs this morning.  I just love it when a plan comes together!!

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 09:46:57 AM »
2nd pic. (Hopefully!)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 09:54:25 AM »
What no kickbacks.lol

I bought all my bike LED's from them so hard luck I'm an existing customer.

All we need now is someone to use a 3D printer to make a sleeve with a square hole that's round on the outside so it fits perfectly!

Update: They seem to list round units as well as square ones albeit a few quid more, there is also a reference to Kit required? Out of the four units which one did you use?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 10:01:34 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 11:02:44 AM »
I used the CF 13 model, but I have a sneaky suspicion that they are all the same unit, unless there is a difference in the width of the spade terminals. Using different vehicle manufacturers names when repeating the same advert is a popular sales tool.  The 'kit' advertised is (I think) just an earth lead to be used if your existing unit only had two terminals.  I found the new flasher unit was a very snug fit into the round hole of the OE rubber mounting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal