Author Topic: At last! Something usefull on the net!  (Read 3774 times)

Offline metalcatfish

• View Profile
At last! Something usefull on the net!
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
Hi all,
Only found this site in the last 24 hours, just shows how rubbish my comp skills are.
I have a 1977 CB550 bitsa rat, which is in dire need of another strip down. Its been my daily ride now for the last 4 years, and has never let me down. Apart from oil leaks, rattles, and non essentials falling off, etc
Doubt it will make it through an mot this year without some serious capital expenditure but hopefully i'll be able to thieve some tips from you guys once the stripdown starts to help keep my costs down.
It really is an awfull bike, and it would be cheaper to get another, but I just cant let her go.
Thanks in advance.
jason

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: At last! Something usefull on the net!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 12:27:46 PM »
Hi Jason

A daily rider for 4 years is awesome!

I rode my 500/4 every day for about 6 months and then bought a VFR800 as I couldn't bear to wear the old girl out (and I wanted proper brakes and handling, no choke, guaranteed starting etc etc.   -   then I swapped the VFR for something with a bit more soul  ;D)

I still ride the 500/4 - but only when I want to (as opposed to when I have to)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »
Hi Jason, welcome to the site , plenty of info on hear, you will be glad you found this site
Pete

Offline metalcatfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »
Thankyou all for the warm welcome! If your saw my bike you would understand why I'm not too precious about it getting wet! Although, I have to say this winter really has taken its toll on the poor old girl.
Been looking at shiny paint! Wow, Ive never had a shiny bike might get my local sprayer to sort it out, Now only if they did metalflake.....
Fork stanchions have had it, so on with the fork gaitors to hide the nasties. A mate is sourcing a front rim (rusted through), may sneak it through an mot yet!
Will be lurking!

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »
Hooray, another rat-bike.  I have a terribly tatty 500/4 which has been my daily ride for the last 15 years, rain or shine.  These bikes are perfectly good for normal use if regularly maintained.  The newest bike I've ever ridden was a 1979 CX500 so it feels perfectly modern to me.  After all, it has an alternator, automatic advance and retard, disc brakes, telescopic front forks, electric lights, in fact all the modern trappings  :)

Welcome.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 04:05:10 PM by florence »

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »
...forgot to add, why use paint when you can so easily apply grease or rub over with an oily rag?

Offline metalcatfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 08:59:54 AM »
why use paint when you can so easily apply grease or rub over with an oily rag?

Your quite right Steve, A quick wipe with an oily rag has been a marvellous substitute for water and soap, (horrible stuff) However, After chucking her up the road on a trip to scotland, I was forced to daub the tank with red oxide, well it does say red in the log book. Cant decide on a colour,(lack of imagination) which is the only reason everything I own is black.
I keep refering to 'it' as 'her', is this still socially acceptable in our times? Or am I opening a can of worms! (which reminds me, must have another look at the head.)
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:51:28 AM by metalcatfish »

Offline metalcatfish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 09:55:22 AM »
Just so you know what I have to put up with.....

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 11:04:04 AM »
Hi and welcome to the site,

Phil

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »
Sounds like one of my bikes, looks a bit like them too, 500's make xcellent all year round transport, used mine like that til it hit 160 000 miles, it's gonna need time I don't have to fix it up so a 125 honda rebel is doing the job of taking me to work, for now. my top tip, buy part worn tyres off ebay, if you can it helps to get a spare set of wheels so tyre changes or flats can be fixed when it's convinient and not too cold - tyres being twice as hard to work on in cold weather.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 08:56:41 AM »
Looks wonderful!  A lived in look that cannot be created overnight; it takes years to develop.  I'll try to get a picture of mine up, it's in a similar lived-in condition and I refuse to polish and standardise things.  

In my opinion I have vastly improved upon what Mr Honda produced.  It now has a better exhaust (1980's laser) and air filter system, which has made space for a toolkit to go where the over-sized and stifling air box used to be.  The cow-horn handlebars have improved cornering and riding position and the removal of indicators has improved aerodynamics.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:21:46 AM by florence »

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »
I see your bike is now on ebay.

rigwit

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 01:38:30 PM »
welcome  and a good ethos is  .if it works  dont fiddle with it   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal