Author Topic: Speedometer  (Read 817 times)

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Speedometer
« on: September 18, 2022, 06:38:36 PM »
My CB650 being a Canadian model has a KPH speedometer fitted being a Nippon Seiki unit I can just swap it for a MPH unit,has anyone got a nice MPH unit they want to sell? I have a MPH unit but it’s damaged as in the thread the cable screws to is broken
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 07:36:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure Peter Horton could put a new dial  on it or restore the one with a bad thread. He is called kent400 here.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 07:44:44 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 09:41:30 PM »
Swapping faces to mph will not correct the Odometer. The MOT gents on here might be able to comment whether a kph odometer is acceptable with a mph speedo?

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 10:14:02 PM »
A kph speedo is perfectly legal, Urinal actualy just stuck an overlay on the glass to show mph

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 10:23:25 AM »
I understand that a KPH unit is legal I would just prefer a MPH unit.I understand my Nippon Seiki unit can be converted entirely to read MPH with correct mileage  converted from the recorded Kilometers but if anyone has a complete working speedometer they want to sell I would buy it or if a repair could be done on the damaged one I have that would be an option😁
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 10:30:56 AM »
I would suggest having a word with Peter Horton, he's the expert on speedos etc. Ask if if it's possible for you to send both the KPH and MPH speedos with the idea of making one good MPH out of both. I suspect Peter would just swap over the threaded part from the KPH speedo onto the broke MPH speedo and that's all you'll require, a quick service of the innards as well, maybe a refresh of the facia if needed and you'll have a brand new looking speedo good for some years.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 11:15:19 AM »
I would suggest having a word with Peter Horton, he's the expert on speedos etc. Ask if if it's possible for you to send both the KPH and MPH speedos with the idea of making one good MPH out of both. I suspect Peter would just swap over the threaded part from the KPH speedo onto the broke MPH speedo and that's all you'll require, a quick service of the innards as well, maybe a refresh of the facia if needed and you'll have a brand new looking speedo good for some years.

Good advice thanks
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal