Author Topic: 500 Brake pad options wanted.  (Read 2357 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 500 Brake pad options wanted.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 10:57:00 AM »
After a lot of dithering on options & prices I finally fitted a pair of Brembo Carbon/Ceramic normal street pads.

Filled the old fully drained brake system with some Silicone Dot 5.0 then bled them doing my test tube fluid check after standing overnight.
Sign of very small blob of old fluid in test tube so re-flushed - all now clear after another overnight stand.

I'm going to do a final fit of the coils fitting them facing backwards as per Ken's tip then back on with the tank ready for another road test.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 12:23:41 PM »
If I'm correctly informed, you should have used 5.1.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 12:29:18 PM »
If I'm correctly informed, you should have used 5.1.

In motorcycles I use Slicone Dot 5.0 not Hygroscopic & not corrosive on paint with marginally lower boiling point than 5.1 but better than previous Dot fluids.

The Dot 5.1 is a Glycol based so its corrosive on paint & Hydrascopic so needs periodic changes.
I use Dot 5.1 in my cars as it's virtually impossible to change all the fluid to Dot 5.0 due to the ABS systems and dual braking arrangements.

Like many things  it's pretty much down to personal choice - just do not mix 5.0 with any other fluid.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 12:41:59 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2022, 08:52:25 AM »
I have always used EBC on my bike and they always work well.  They have a tendency to squeal but that's when I know they are correctly adjusted.  The brake on these bikes is rather primitive but is more effective than it 'feels'.

I used EBC pads in an attempt to stop the squeal from my front brake and it didn’t help. But I saw a recent post talking about chamfering the edges of the pads which I did and squeal seems to have gone. I have no idea why this happens!!!!
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2022, 10:29:10 AM »
I had EBC pads (FA13 set). I found them rather primitive. They sqealed like hell and I haven't used them for long. They wore unevenly to a degree I'm not used to. The difference in width, front and rear is 1,3mm. Don't know what to think of that, but I have returned to OEM. I have read somewhere that it's better to remove the paint on the side of these EBC pads. Gives you just a little more clearance. Maybe you can even use some old brake fluid to remove that paint. :)
BTW, what is against renewing just one pad, knowing pad B? This pad (B) on mine is nearing its red line. Pad A is still good. I have a spare pad B, which is as good as pad A is now. In principle pad B can wiggle, due to its form, the slight hump on its backside, so it can position itself and will make full contact with the disk, once the brake is applied. Am I missing something?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2022, 10:54:04 AM »
You can change just one pad if you are sure they are the same make and grade

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2022, 11:21:58 AM »

I used EBC pads in an attempt to stop the squeal from my front brake and it didn’t help. But I saw a recent post talking about chamfering the edges of the pads which I did and squeal seems to have gone. I have no idea why this happens!!!!
[/quote]

I have posted previously that almost all modern cars have chamfered brake pads - I know it works but have no idea why - it's been my experience that the harder the pad the worse the squeal.

Edited Google search says:-

Chamfers can control how the edge of the pad interacts with the disc and can help prevent noise. Chamfers do this by making sure the largest possible edge of the pad makes contact with the discs.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2022, 11:50:37 AM »
You can change just one pad if you are sure they are the same make and grade
Yes, they are.
@Ted. Here's a hypothesis to be tested. On my Koga Miyata Terraliner, a hybrid bicycle, I used to fit the V-brakes thus, that the front part would contact the rim first. I did this on purpose, after I had learned in a bicycle workshop that you could cure screeching by the opposite, by having their rear parts contact the rim first. The opposite would make your brakes screech and they did like hell. Worked great in alarming pedestrians to get out of the way. I admit I was childish. :-[
Now on our bikes the inner pad can wiggle somewhat and personally I don't think that one is the culprit. But... could sqealing eventually be cured by seeing to it, that of the outer pad - the one activated by the piston - the rear part contacts the disk first by a millisecond?

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2022, 04:37:23 PM »
In order to transfer kinetic energy and thus slow down the bike, the pads must apply friction creating heat and, in the case of my bike, sound energy in the form of a loud squeaking.  My brakes need all the help they can get so I'm happy with the squeaking.  It tells me some energy transfer is taking place  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 04:39:00 PM by florence »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2022, 04:12:40 AM »
Anecdotal update:-

I sent a message to the supplier of my Brembo Pads as they came without the nylon type pad asking if they could supply one.
They say they are sending me a complete replacement set as the nylon pad should have been in the package.
It will be interesting to see what they actually send me.

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2022, 09:27:44 AM »
Ted get some sleep. Just seen time of your post 4.10 am? Often think that with various members. Kens a "good in" too for posts by moonlight!😱

Save your build energy guys!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2022, 09:47:51 AM »
Just a one off Insomnia day - up an hour in the middle of the night - slept again until 9.00am. 🥱🥱🥱

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2022, 11:26:43 AM »
Just a one off Insomnia day - up an hour in the middle of the night - slept again until 9.00am. 🥱🥱🥱
Ted it has taken me many years to realise that rather than trying to get to sleep I just get up.....
Matt
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2022, 12:33:55 PM »
I still need a few more years to learn that lesson - I'm only 74 you know!

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2022, 01:29:54 PM »
I don't go to bed till very late, most days around 3-4am. I don't get up early unless I have something planned, can't see the point. After many years on nights my body has adapted to this regime and I tend to fall back into the rhythm whenever I have more than a few weeks off work. To counter that I will work late till 1-2am on the bike if I'm in the mood. 
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal