Author Topic: Is this the root cause of the problem I always had with my kicker?  (Read 386 times)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Is this the root cause of the problem I always had with my kicker?
« on: September 26, 2022, 03:15:14 PM »
In another thread I have explained, I always had a problem with a wobbly kicker, ever since I acquired my bike in 1980. For pics please go to http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,27807.msg260807.html#msg260807 and the replies that followed.
I have examined the parts involved some more and maybe, maybe I have found the root cause of why I never was able to fasten that wobbly kicker well.
In the pic below you see the part that slides over the splines of the shaft. Now it's about the hole where the bolt that secures the kicker to the shaft, ends. I have two of these bodies and both have the same burred hole. I don't know if Honda has done it on purpose, but both holes are thus that it is impossible to use an even fraction of a millimeter larger bolt. That makes sense in a way, as a bolt protruding too far, would hinder a free movement of the assembly. There's not that much room for rotation when everything is assembled to the splines. So, any bolt is stopped there. It's impossible to torque them more than the narrowed bottom of that hole will allow. So if you think you have fastened the bolt real well, it could be an illusion: the bolt simply can't go any further because of the burred end of that hole. Again, I do not know if it was intentional or if it's just a burr on both parts that I have.
Sadly I may be too late with my discovery. The splines are not that good anymore. But maybe I'll have one final chance. Here's the plan. I will try to tidy the splines as much as possible - which is not much - using that special file again and then, it will be either a one mm shorter bolt, so it won't be stopped or ream that hole so it will allow the bolt's end to pass just half the mm needed. What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 04:35:16 PM by deltarider »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Is this the root cause of the problem I always had with my kicker?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 05:49:07 PM »
It's just typical Honda casting. They really don't do tidying up after them, I'd just run a tap down that and get rid of the flashing.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal