Author Topic: Grease Nipple Removal  (Read 1888 times)

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
Grease Nipple Removal
« on: October 02, 2022, 12:40:30 PM »
Afternoon

Before I send my spare casings away for polishing I thought it would be good to remove the grease nipple ......... maybe a daft question - but how does it come out

Thanks

Simon

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Grease Nipple Removal
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 01:26:11 PM »
If you look inside the opening you can see the outlet that the nipple uses, a thin screwdriver or piece of metal can be used to poke it out from underneath. It's tight but doable, did this just the other day.

How much are they charging for polishing that, it's not an easy casing to do, lots of recesses and I'd be surprised if you don't get it back with some dull areas.

A really good polisher should be able to do it all and get it consistent, areas like the small part forward of the gear lever hole look to be contaminated with oil/dirt/grease and it's those that cause a lot of problems. If you look at it the surface looks blemished, like it has a small rash, that's the contaminants sitting just below the surface.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 03:37:48 PM »
If you look inside the opening you can see the outlet that the nipple uses, a thin screwdriver or piece of metal can be used to poke it out from underneath. It's tight but doable, did this just the other day.

How much are they charging for polishing that, it's not an easy casing to do, lots of recesses and I'd be surprised if you don't get it back with some dull areas.

A really good polisher should be able to do it all and get it consistent, areas like the small part forward of the gear lever hole look to be contaminated with oil/dirt/grease and it's those that cause a lot of problems. If you look at it the surface looks blemished, like it has a small rash, that's the contaminants sitting just below the surface.

Cheers - will get a screwdriver and have a go

I've been quoted £130 for the 3 covers

Simon

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 03:45:03 PM »
Thats quite cheap, have you seen anything else they've done?
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 03:54:11 PM »
Thats quite cheap, have you seen anything else they've done?

Only photos

I'm waiting on a price from another company to compare

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 04:02:55 PM »
Might be a sooper dooper deal but just sounded a bit cheap. Either that or Ive had me skirt lifted ;D

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 06:52:31 PM »
I see Philpotts quote £100 to do a pair of fork sliders, which I thought very reasonable considering the amount of work involved.

I've heard of £750 just to polish the barrels on a GT750. £130 for 3 cases is very cheap, I'd expect a poor job for that TBH but you never know until you try.

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 07:06:23 PM »
I see Philpotts quote £100 to do a pair of fork sliders, which I thought very reasonable considering the amount of work involved.

I've heard of £750 just to polish the barrels on a GT750. £130 for 3 cases is very cheap, I'd expect a poor job for that TBH but you never know until you try.

TBH if they get it anything like without contamination then it will be better than those currently fitted - then I can take my time and look at maybe doing them myself sometime in the very distant future

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 09:05:40 PM »
Might be a sooper dooper deal but just sounded a bit cheap. Either that or Ive had me skirt lifted ;D

I was wearing a similar skirt and was quoted £160 for alternator, clutch and sprocket cover. TBH I was quite happy with that and the suppliers work satisfies my cosmetic eye. However, inspired by Oddjob I’m going the DIY route. Bet I regret it😁

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 12:20:17 AM »
I bet you do! ;D

Can i have my skirt back if you've finished with it Phil? ;D

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 02:53:33 AM »
Hey, you borrowed that skirt off me, bloody Yorkshire tealeaves.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 06:28:54 PM »

TBH if they get it anything like without contamination then it will be better than those currently fitted - then I can take my time and look at maybe doing them myself sometime in the very distant future

If you want a professional job, then send it to the professionals. Briteworx.co.uk

To achieve a pro finish you will need a motor 1KW minimum, a ton of mops , soap bars, lime and safety equipment. The part also needs to be in good order to start and most professional polishers vapour blast the part first to remove any corrosion and contaminates  ;)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 06:34:00 PM »
https://briteworx.co.uk/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

Website is down or dead when I tried it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 02:05:03 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 06:49:57 PM »
https://briteworx.co.uk/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi
He's (Harry Overton) is on Facebook Ted. He's not far from you in Swadlincote. His work is absolutely stunning. A master of his art. 07861778841
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 06:52:05 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 07:00:10 PM »

If you want a professional job, then send it to the professionals. Briteworx.co.uk

To achieve a pro finish you will need a motor 1KW minimum, a ton of mops , soap bars, lime and safety equipment. The part also needs to be in good order to start and most professional polishers vapour blast the part first to remove any corrosion and contaminates  ;)

Got to disagree with that Graham, some are good, some are cowboys who claim they can do a decent job but do the exact opposite. I'd match some of my polishing up against any pro, I don't have half of the stuff you list and I've got great results with casings that a lot of pro's wouldn't even have touched. The end results depend a LOT on the amount of effort you put in BEFORE it evens goes near the mop, the more effort, the better the result IMO. I've just spent 5-6 hours on one float bowl because it had been chromed and even having the chrome professionally removed, it didn't remove all of it, there were patches where the nickel was still attached and that's a huge problem to remove. Took me many hours to sand it off, only done 3 bowls up to now and not looking forward to doing the last.
I'm going to attempt to restore an old 550 alt casing I found in my last job lot buy, it's been done the road HARD, literally loads of gravel rash etc, deep gouges and even some of the lettering like the Made In Japan has been affected, I want to see how good I can get it, I like doing stuff like that, just to challenge myself. If it turns out ok I'll sell it, if it doesn't I'll junk it. It's only time, I've got quite a bit of that on my hands at present.

BTW Ted, link doesn't work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal