Author Topic: Familiarity Breeds Contempt (or stupidity?)  (Read 651 times)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Familiarity Breeds Contempt (or stupidity?)
« on: October 07, 2022, 12:20:14 PM »
Y'know, I've owned my 400 for nearly 35 years now, and early this year I replaced the whole front brake system except the disc.   Early this week it suddenly developed the previously talked about sound effect of a pig being dragged along by its wotsits.  2nd bike was occupying the ramp so it was a quick 45 minute curving of the 75 year old spine to split the calliper, scuff the pads, and brutalise the disc surfaces a little. Managed this without having to disconnect the fluid pipe, so floating pad was inserted by feel as has been done many times before. I had put the little blobs of red grease on all the relevant surfaces, inserted the two main fixing bolts lightly using a 3/8dr ratchet ready to finish with a torque wrench. Before the bolts were even fully home, the brake was locked solid. Hm.  Loosen everything, including the adjuster screw, pivot arm nice and free, using thumb pressure managed to push the piston further in. So, re-assemble, same result!!  Rather than attack in temper, down tools, switch off light and go indoors for dinner.  2nd attempt this morning, fresh brain, spine nicely loosened off, split calliper yet again, removed the floating pad, and out fell the white nylon ring 'twixt pad and piston, nicely chewed up! It had obviously dislodged when I inserted pad "blind", and upon tightening the bolts I had destroyed it which meant the pad was sticking out too far. Is it just me, or has this happened to any other unwary person?  Oh God I love this hobby! Mike.  (PS. Yes I did have a spare one)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 12:22:33 PM by TrickyMicky »

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Familiarity Breeds Contempt (or stupidity?)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 12:32:59 PM »
Not happened to me but can you buy the plastic/ring  pad seperately as mine does not have one/?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 02:22:16 PM »
The 500 doesn’t have one Ted? It should. I’ve got a spare so I’ll bob one down to you. Need to find it first

Use a little grease on the ring to stick it to the back of the pad, just use a flat surface and some wet and dry to flat that ring Mick, thickness isn’t an issue it’s just there to avoid metal to metal contact tween pad and piston so they don’t make noise.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 04:20:11 PM »
Not happened to me but can you buy the plastic/ring  pad seperately as mine does not have one/?
Hi Ted, never seen them advertised, but if you've got a good odds & sods box, or feel like manufacturing(!),   dimensions are:-
  OD. 31MM
  ID. 22.4MM
Thickness 2.8MM
  A firm nylon type material, not too flexible, and definitely NOT brittle. Have fun.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 04:22:37 PM »
Pattern pads rarely came with them

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 04:33:26 PM »
The 500 doesn’t have one Ted? It should. I’ve got a spare so I’ll bob one down to you. Need to find it first

Use a little grease on the ring to stick it to the back of the pad, just use a flat surface and some wet and dry to flat that ring Mick, thickness isn’t an issue it’s just there to avoid metal to metal contact tween pad and piston so they don’t make noise.

That would be handy Ken if you find it. Cheers Ted
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal