Author Topic: Rear Swing Arm play  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Swing Arm play
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 08:17:38 AM »
Brute force and big hammer, only sucsesful way i found is to cut a slot along the length with a hacksaw blade, a long messy and laborious job, colapse them and knock them out.
Put the brass ones in the freezer for a few days before fitting.
You wont need the felt washers and plastic caps with the brass ones but you do use the shaped end washers, whilst its out, unless you are a purist, drill and tap the ends of the bolt to take ordinary 6mm grease nipples

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 08:54:39 AM »
Thanks for all the help
Bushes on way from Nursey but do I HAVE to replace the collar or can I just change the bushes?
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 09:17:37 AM »
Worth checking at local dealer as Dave Silver is Bout £95 inc.
Yes Roo i agree, unfortunately every one i have ever took apart with play has the collar worn more than the bushes.
The later 390 number part used on the F model that has the single grease nipple on the swing arm is discontinued, guess what------ you can use the early 300 one

Yes Bryan it always seem odd that the softer materials wears the harder one away.

Years ago car clutch pivots made of Nylon would wear the metal socket they fitted into having previously been made of metal.

It's an often missed but very simple process that wears the hard component with the soft Ted.  Something that was part of my apprenticeship that's specifically designed to drum it into us the impact of various elements in engineering, we had to make a "puck" in high carbon steel, then impregnate with more carbon to increase the ultimate hardness of the material such that it moved it right to the extreme of testing on hardness evaluation equipment. Then to hand finishing the surface with nothing more than successive work on first cast iron plates, aluminium plates and finally brass plates, all having their surface embeded with cutting media (carborundum first, finished with diamond grit) to refine by cutting that hard steel.

This is exactly the same as something like emery cloth in concept (carborundum glued to denim material) in that it embeds highly abrasive particles into a soft base substrate. Also anything like sand paper etc and cutting disc on disc cutter.

The swing arm essentially has any wear particle from the sleeve embedded into the plastic, along with anything else that gets in there and gently works away cutting the steel away during use.

There's also another parallel in vehicles, especially those run without air filtration. The intake ingesting silicon oxide (silicon sand readily available from road surfaces etc) that mixes with the oils, lodges in components like piston, main bearings, aluminium head bearings etc to very effectively cut the main components and wear them out prematurely. 

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2022, 10:07:22 AM »
You dont HAVE to replace anything, just depends on wether you want it right or not. Wear on the collar will be obvious and feelable, any wear is too much

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2022, 10:21:25 PM »
I have just noticed there is play in my rear swing arm. If I grab the rear wheel I can move the rear arm side to side quite a bit.

If you are saying there is side to side movement as in left to right along the spindle  as opposed to up & down movement  it might be wear on the end cup arrangement.

I found fitting the Brass Bushes fixed my movement even though there was a small amount of wear vissible  on the centre spacer/shaft arrangement.

I'm not a mechanical engineer but unless the play is really excessive grease & bushes should work as a little wear should not be an issue for sensible road use on a old bike.
But that just my opinion - I do not see it as a megga safety issue though others might not agree!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2022, 06:59:58 PM »
I did one last year and confirm usual story that the pin/collar was worn more than the bushes. But I'd had the bits for years.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2022, 05:46:31 PM »
All sorted and back together now

Thanks to Julie for the bushes and John Oldfield for the collar (ouch at £95)

Old ones came out with sheer brute force and Julies went in quite easily after sitting in freezer but still needed a few whacks with my lump hammer.
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal