Author Topic: FAILED AGAIN  (Read 6967 times)

MIKE550/4

FAILED AGAIN
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:56:56 AM »
oH Dear

failed my test again, put me foot down again, just cannot handle bigger bikes at slow speeds

i have an f2 in very nice condition that i might end up selling or maybe swapping

fed up paying out for this bike  test

mot has ran out but sure it would sail it,

any interest ?  before e bay

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: FAILED AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »
Don't give up yet mate, yopu will get there. If you insist then try the for sale section

rhos1355

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »
Did mine 3 times, mate. Got thru in the end.

I must say I had a very fair examiner each time, cos the first time I laid the bike on the ground whilst doing the "U" turn. I picked it up, then did it twice more just to prove to him I could do it. He let it go at that. Unfortunately it was pissing down and a couple of dickhead pedestrians decided to dash across the road on a red in front of me. Unnerved me considerably and all my concentration was shot after that.

Just keep trying.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »
Have you had any training?

I am an IAM Observer and even "Advanced Motorcyclists" screw up the slow riding.

The trick is:
  • Look at where you want to go - not at the front wheel!
  • Slip the clutch and dab the back brake
  • Do not use the front brake
  • Shift your weight back to get it off your wrists and the bars

The most important of these is the first. You MUST look up the road at your intended destination - not at where your front wheel is going. Use the throttle and back brake to control the bike.

You have to practise. Find an empty car park in an industrial estate on a Sunday morning and ride in and out of the white lines!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
Right on Steve, you're bang on, slow riding is a pain but a vital skill. As you say clutch control and looking where you want to go .
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »
Agreed, dragging rear brake gives great control.  Practice as much as you can.  I passed my test 25 years ago but I still play around on my bike off the highway, small very slow manoeuvres, seeing how long I can stay stationary without putting down feet, etc.  It's all really good for having a proper feel for your bike and it's good fun.

Don't give up, you will pass next time I am sure.

MIKE550/4

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:59:34 AM »
yes one more go, going to go with a different instructor, based in corby and only one listed that i can see

going to take the bike to private land and practise a bit more, stupid things that i am doing , but the looking ahead is good tip something i am not doing

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 03:47:58 PM »
Mike considering the number of tests i have had to do,Tractor, Bike, Car, Hgv3, Hgv1,Forklift,Moffat plus others i forget, its not always easy to concentrate on the so called "Easy" stuff and a  mate of mine who is a trainer said i wouldn't have a hope of passing the current CBT!!

You will get there, take your time and practice where/when possible mate----Yes a did fail some of those mentioned including the Bike

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 04:57:15 PM »
took me 3 attempts, keep trying, the slow stuff is challenging, but you'll get there in the end, a lot of the time it commes down to luck, ride perfectly for 2 days solid training, do the vital u turn on the test and that old foot comes down, drat! Back to go do not collect
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline PMK

• SOHC Member
  • Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles & Idiot for Hire
    • View Profile
    • Karpettiger Maine Coon Cats
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
I was an instructor about 12 years ago. I was trained by the BMF in the first wave of CBT's and used to do the prep for the road work.

I'm in St Neots and if you want I could meet up and help out if you want. I'm sure that although a smidge rusty It couyld all come flooding back.

PM me if you're interested
He who breaks something to see how it works has left the path of wisdom and become an engineer

Honda CB750F2 1978
Harley Sportster 883 1999
Matchless G80 1960

MIKE550/4

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 07:35:11 PM »
going to give it a couple more goes, going with another instructor from next week, i will see what happens with this guy and then get back to you

thanks for offer and i will be in touch

MIKE550/4

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 02:03:46 PM »
while i potter about trying to pass this test, anyone recommend a reliable cheap 125, old or new not fussed going to be sold on when i haave passed

dont all laugh you all had one  :D

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 02:06:37 PM »
I bought my son (when he was 17) a CG125 (the Brazilian model from the 80's)

It was everything the Jap CG125 was but had 12V electrics and more modern styling.

It cost
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »
yes i had one as well, i got over 100mpg to the gallon, they are so reliable, someone pulled put of a turning while i was riding mine and i went straight in to the side of his car doing about 45mph and went straight over the top of the car, needless to say the bike was totalled but i got away with a broken toe and servere bruising
Pete

Offline Sprunghub

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »
What are you learning / taking the Test on Mike ?
The current stable,
76, CB750 F1
83, FT500
89, VTR250
78, CB125T

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal