Author Topic: Honda UK Dating  (Read 980 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Honda UK Dating
« on: November 20, 2022, 07:08:30 PM »
I recently got a dating certificate for my CB250K2 via Honda UK's dating service. Its no find...No fee... which is great.
It costs £25+VAT = £30,  if they do find a record of  it.

Initially though, they couldn't find it on their UK records or indeed acknowledge that it was a UK supplied bike and apologised via email but they then applied to Japan (which took several months) and Japan found it and issued a certificate. I literally had a frame and crankcases and no documents or registration mark, even though I definitely knew it was a UK supplied machine.

I always thought that they would only offer the service to UK supplied bikes but have they changed their system recently? i.e. if you sent them a frame and engine number from an import that they obviously won't be able to find  on their UK records, will they contact Japan and if Japan has records, issue a certificate? If you look at the attached though it says CB250K2E  .. maybe the 'E' denotes supplied to  England

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 07:12:34 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Honda UK Dating
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 08:28:57 PM »
Interesting & thanks Ash; can you divulge who to contact wrt this?
Ta, Simon.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 08:29:18 PM »
That price has gone down from when i started Ash, also when i started they would send to Japan for any chassis number no matter what country they first went to. It was later on that they said they would only do UK supplied bikes, possibly they realised they should have had this one so contacted Japan anyway. I was also told that Honda had a fire and some records were lost, you have been lucky to get a day, month and year!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 09:08:51 PM »
Interesting & thanks Ash; can you divulge who to contact wrt this?
Ta, Simon.

You just send an email here Simon:

info.UK.car@honda-eu.com

Stating your name and address plus the Model Type (i.e CB250K2) , Frame and Engine numbers. Plus I give the original UK reg. if I have it but for the 250K2 I had no idea what it was.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 11:31:48 AM »
Cheers Ash… appreciated.

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 05:26:01 PM »
I did initially think the thread was for a dating agency!  ;D ;D
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 06:13:23 PM »
Hondr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2022, 07:21:19 PM »
I did initially think the thread was for a dating agency!  ;D ;D

Ahh. It all makes sense now😉

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 07:26:23 PM »
Interestingly, I provided my Wideline featherbed frame number to the Norton Owners Club and they supplied the day it was made, shipped, who the purchaser was and to which dealer it was shipped. Only thing I couldn’t get was the actual registration number, but managed to track it down to 4 which were issued to the dealership in September 1959. The bloke who bought it was still alive living in Summerbridge near Harrogate, but couldn’t provide any pictures to link the bike to the owner and registration….an interesting exercise, but slightly disappointing outcome.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 07:28:21 PM by Sesman »

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 07:31:32 PM »
Interestingly, I provided my Wideline featherbed frame number to the Norton Owners Club and they supplied the day it was made, shipped, who the purchaser was and to which dealer it was shipped. Only thing I couldn’t get was the actual registration number, but managed to track it down to 4 which were issued to the dealership in September 1959. The bloke who bought it was still alive living in Summerbridge near Harrogate, but couldn’t provide any pictures to link the bike to the owner and registration….an interesting exercise, but slightly disappointing outcome.
That’s interesting and a bit unlucky not to get the registration number.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 07:39:45 PM »
Apparently all pre DVLA records for that region were stored at a place in Wakefield. I may do a fingertip search in the future.

Offline triplE675

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 01:03:14 PM »
Hi ash,
              happy new year. reading your thread on dating certificate
               I am about to start restoring my 2nd cb125k3  because I just acquired a k3 engine on fleabay.My second chassis came without engine but has reg plate that's not recognized by DVLA the chassis number is present too.
I really want to keep the original reg no
for the bike . This is definitely a UK bike registered after August 1971 reg no DYX53J.  Do you think having a dating letter for the bike would help persuade DVLA to re-register the old reg number?
Regards
Andrew

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 02:15:04 PM »
Nope, but an old mot cert might. A dating letter will get you a reg from the correct year but not necessarily the correct area. What you have said suggests that it has not been registered with dvla since V5 came in

Offline triplE675

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 03:18:27 PM »
Bryan,
            Just wishful thinking
Thanks for the reality check

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal