Author Topic: C100 Super Cub gearbox  (Read 429 times)

Offline Peter S

• View Profile
C100 Super Cub gearbox
« on: November 23, 2022, 11:20:13 AM »
Hello
I have a 1963 Honda C100 Super Cub with a gearbox issue.
I purchased the bike a while ago and have progressively restored the frame, paint and cycle parts etc. When I came to start it, it was making a terrible noise from the gearbox area and the gears were difficult to select.
I have since stripped the engine, to find a lot of free play in both the main shaft and lay shaft. Looks like this box has been stripped previously, as the gearbox thrust washers don’t look like the original ones. I have since replaced the gearbox and crank ball bearings for new ones.
 Before I change these washers I have no idea what the correct end float in the two shafts should be?
Also when generally checking the gearbox operation with the crankcase halves apart, all the gears select. Yet when the two crankcase halves are put together it doesn’t select top gear so it will drive.
I have been trying to sort this box out for a while now, and with the correct original thrust washers now being unavailable from Honda, I have tried using various thicknesses of washers which I have manufactured and have also replaced the selector forks and locating bolts for less worn items.
 To date I am not having any success in sorting out the problem. It does make a difference if you use a crankcase half gasket, with the gasket the end float is increased, but when assembled without, it reduces the end float but the fault still remains. Could you please give me some advice with this issue as I am about to give up on it.
Thanks
Peter

Offline Toko_Jo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: C100 Super Cub gearbox
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 12:07:22 PM »
Worth contacting Graham Curtis

Motoclassics have lots of C100 part .. many of which are not listed on their site or on their eBay site.

Also worth joining Honda push rod singles group on Facebook  ... wealth of info there.

If you need any details Personal Message (PM) me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 12:10:03 PM by Toko_Jo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal