Author Topic: New Money Pit  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Money Pit
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 01:54:16 PM »
Nice twin there Phil! Good luck with the resto.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2022, 02:29:45 PM »
Great start to the resto  :D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2022, 05:34:19 PM »
Quote ' I fancied a 650 Bros but our Mayor has killed that idea with his ULEZ charges (soon to be extended to inside the M25 and that will also kill off my VFR unless I want to pay £300 to send it to a ULEZ compliance test that it may fail!). I might look for a CB550, as they have the right amount of power and weight (and ULEZ exempt 😁).
Dave, do you know if Historic Motorbikes are exempt - something I haven't thought about until now.....
Matt

Yes they are Matt, in London anyway.
My VFR should pass the ULEZ test as it's FI but I'll refit the original silencer prior to the test as the Scorpion end can currently fitted (with the baffle) is probably 'dirty'.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 06:06:38 PM »
The CB1300 failed the ULEZ test and that has FI but the later version 09 onward passed as it's Euro3 rated. See if you can find what Euro rating the VFR is and that should give you an idea of pass/fail before you spend money.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2022, 12:03:03 AM »
Will do, thanks Ken👍
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2022, 07:11:50 PM »
I'm interested in testing and limits on these, did you have your bike tested Ken ? Or was that just general information?

Dave, have you got figures for what the vfr should be, test results, and legislation limit applied to it ?

Is there anyone carrying out testing on individual vehicles for private use, does that then give a statement to be recorded on vehicle's log book/registration?

Many thanks.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2022, 08:34:28 PM »
Not tested, I read the ULEZ regs and found Euro3 was exempt, then inputted my reg on to website and confirmed it was indeed except. The 08 and before model 1300 was only euro2 and thus failed emission levels. I also got a emission statement from Honda for free to ensure exactly what it was giving out. Certificate was free IIRC but they'll only issue one, if you lose it you're knackered.

Just found a post I did on it on the 1300 forum.

It appears that to get around ULEZ laws you need an engine that produces a Nox value below 0.15, now Honda in their infinite wisdom didn't show this on your V5, they should have but they didn't. So there are a few things you can do, pay the daily £12.50 charge or get the bike tested, place in Romford charges £175 to test the bike and give you a certificate of the results, if your lucky it's below the threshold, if your not you've just lost £175.

BUT

You can ask Honda for a Certificate of Conformity, it's free of charge unless you lose it in which case they charge for a replacement, moral of this story is DON'T lose it. The Certificate officially states the exact specs and includes full emissions date for a specific frame/engine number as tested and provided by Honda.

So ask for this on this website

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-b...rmity.html

If it returns with good news eg less than 0.15 Nox, then scan your Certificate and your V5 and send them to the TFL website and your trusty steed should be exempt when they reply in writing.

The author of this info just got his 2005 900 Hornet made exempt so give it a whirl, if one passes you'd imagine they'll all pass. Saves you buying a new bike if your in London.

Just for further info, the Euro2 Cb1300 had a Nox figure of 0.164 but my euro3 Cb1300 was according to the conformity certificate a NoX figure of only 0.056 which goes to show what a difference it makes. The euro2 model didn't have any CATs in the exhaust, the euro3 has 2 plus lambda sensors etc and a revised ecu setting.

Offline Toko_Jo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2022, 10:38:19 PM »
What content in the last 5 posts has anything to do with Phil's 'Money-Pit' CB350K0 restoration.  ::)

Nice buy Phil. Do you have the bike at home yet and if so, what state are the mega rare one-piece exhausts in ?
Funny, we never got Pine Green bikes here and the USA never got Sardine Blue like we did (both solid colours)
Luckily it's not still sporting the hydraulic cam chain tensioner ...what a disaster that was. You will need to check out the rubber diaphragms on the early squared-off bowl carbs. They were notorious for splitting and the pressed together diaphragm / slide assembly expensive to replace although I believe NPR does a replacement kit, which involves cutting off the top plastic retainer ring though.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2022, 11:12:52 PM »
Got the bike this morning and oil clean, compression test really good - rigged battery up and all electrics work except no spark on left hand cylinder (traced to points fault) - all engine screws un-butchered so engine not been apart. 1 exhaust is holed and 1 exhaust solid but not cosmetically acceptable to me. Will no doubt change to separate silencers - as long as the bikes cosmetically standard, I'll be happy with that.
Tank needs only little work and side panels undamaged and will be changed to the Ruby Red.
Both guards are undented and chrome OK - will be re-chromed. Wheel rim chrome good and will be used as is. Fork ears are bent but just ordered the last ones in stock at DS.
I have been nagging Ash (our reident 250/350 expert - in case you are unaware) for info and he's already helped me a lot - pointed me to the last available chrome chainguard for example.
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2022, 08:37:54 AM »
Nice one Phil !

I bet you that DK have nabbed the rare K0/K1 only chromed chain-guard off that bike.

When I bought this 'Pine' Green one below, they had nabbed the seat, carbs, side panels a week before and put them on a CB350K3 they sold via eBay. (note the K1 tank extra stripe)
I am not complaining though because it cost me less than a grand because they had done that, as nobody else bid. When I picked it up the guy there said he had found me a lovely set of carbs and some side panels and included them FOC... turns out the carbs were indeed immaculate but off a CB360G5 and the red side-panels were off the K3 they had sold the week before, that they had put my K1 side panels onto ::). Bonus though was that the girl in the office found the USA title, which they didn't realise they had.
Same thing happened with a lovely CB500K0 a friend bought ...the only thing it had missing was the grab-rail/indicators....... I had bought a lovely grab rail/inds. the previous week via eBay from them, so work that one out. WHY do they do that?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 08:43:50 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2022, 08:50:57 AM »
Hmm .. I wonder  ::) ::) !

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2022, 09:02:11 AM »
What content in the last 5 posts has anything to do with Phil's 'Money-Pit' CB350K0 restoration.  ::)

Nice buy Phil. Do you have the bike at home yet and if so, what state are the mega rare one-piece exhausts in ?
Funny, we never got Pine Green bikes here and the USA never got Sardine Blue like we did (both solid colours)
Luckily it's not still sporting the hydraulic cam chain tensioner ...what a disaster that was. You will need to check out the rubber diaphragms on the early squared-off bowl carbs. They were notorious for splitting and the pressed together diaphragm / slide assembly expensive to replace although I believe NPR does a replacement kit, which involves cutting off the top plastic retainer ring though.

Well, we do "talk amongst ourselves" on here with many threads having various topic running concurrently, that's certainly not a slight on the original topic and how interesting it is. Some forum get itchy about thread drift but here it seems we're adequately equipped to marshal those different strand with aplomb and with all the postings getting avidly read, it's not a bad way of going about things.
Good that the bike has turned up now to advance the thread and always look forward to seeing such varied bikes saved and brought back to life with the hard work put in by the owners.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2022, 11:13:49 AM »
Hmm .. I wonder  ::) ::) !
You were right then Ash!

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2022, 02:29:46 PM »
To echo K2s comments, ULEZ comments can interest a lot of other members who own other bikes which they may be worried about passing the ULEZ regs, so even though the comments were off track they can be very helpful for others reading the thread. Who for instance knew about a certificate of conformity?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2022, 08:11:01 PM »
Didn't realise you are sleeving it down to a 250 Phil  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal