Author Topic: CB750K Sidestand mod?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
CB750K Sidestand mod?
« on: November 25, 2022, 11:50:11 AM »
Appreciating it would be non-standard, but almost having set off with the sidestand down today (in a vague rush) am asking whether there is a ‘stand with rubber safety peg (like my 400F2 had) that is compatible with the CB750K2?
I have been to great pains to keep the bike factory, but hey….

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB750K Sidestand mod?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 12:56:32 PM »
750 F2 would seem a decent starting place as it maybe straight bolt on component (stand plus rubber) or K7 model, both fitted with rubber tang.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 01:20:03 PM »
I am in the process of doing something similar with the 500 side stand Lobo. The amount of times I set off with it down was unreal, first left hander and suddenly the bike just slews to the right, you brake hard whilst keeping upright and fishing for the stand with your foot, yep been there, done that.

So this time I thought I'd avoid that, I intend to fit a side stand sensor either wired so that if you select gear with it down it cuts the engine like on my CB1300 or failing that not being possible then using the indicator buzzer I still have fitted so that it goes off when the neutral light goes out and the stands still down. I think the rubber thing only really works when the side stand got repositioned by Honda further back, the 550 side stand has it for instance but they moved it from under the rotor area to near the footrests, it could be the angle the rubber hits the road that meant it needed to be relocated.

Not sure whether that was the same for the 750 as I just wasn't interested in studying them, sorry to say, never liked them so never bothered with them.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 02:30:24 PM »
The location along the bike seems to be to clear (fold in between? ) the pipes on the four exhaust models.

I've a later 750, not SOHC, that has the stand pivot in front of crank and folded the foot infront of main footrest. That doesn't appear to be critical. They are general fairly upright in geometry though, making it simple to flick with the rubber tang.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 05:16:50 PM »
I've seen more than a few bikes dropped because of the rubber being fitted. You flick the stand down with your foot and if the bikes not upright eg leaning towards you, then the rubber hit first, stopped the stand from going any further down, you think it's down and lean the bike onto a stand that's only halfway down, if you don't notice it just falls over, usually onto your legs and then onto the floor if your not quick enough to catch it. Hence why I never thought of going in that direction.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 09:47:17 PM »
Thanks Nige / Ken - some good info, and yep, point taken about the dangers of the rubber wrt full extension.

Can anyone with intricate knowledge of K7/F1-2 setups confirm whether their side stands can be a direct swap-over to a K2 pls?

A simple buzzer may suffice, will give both options some thought - including perhaps a sticker on my visor saying, “Put the ‘stand up ya prat”
Ta.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 09:56:55 PM by Lobo »

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 06:39:15 AM »
I never used the side stand on most of my bikes - now I'm older and finding using the centre stand hard work I too now worry about leaving the stand down.
I will be interested to see who comes up with an easy solution.

My first thought was a mercury type switch to operate a relay on the ignition circuit ? Bike vibration might mean simple switch better.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 07:43:59 AM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 09:42:48 AM »
I'm sure that members with modern bikes are in a better position to comment but on my 1995 ZZR, there's a sidestand switch that cuts the ignition (in conjunction with neutral/clutch switches).
I'm not an electronics expert, but can't a microswitch and relay (similar to those used on clutch switch) be rigged up on a bracket that the side stand activates?
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 10:55:53 AM »
Circuit (mostly this type is used generally) to give engine cut with move away from neutral when stand is down

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Would need a switch for hardware actuation to work.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2022, 12:14:51 PM »
Whilst appreciating most manufacturers now involve the engine ignition circuit (inc even my Moto Guzzi!) I personally regard it as unwise to add circuitry here given the ramifications of wiring / component issues causing an unnecessary engine failure at critical times. A far better solution might be a starter motor inhibit, but in the case of a side stand appreciate not quite optimum, I know.
With aviation as my background, proximity switches occasionally caused concern (typically a Door message), but notably, and for good reason, could never trigger an engine shutdown.
I’ll avoid over complication myself, and likely just do a buzzer iaw neutral, or if direct fit, the K7 / F1/2 side-stand

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 07:20:35 PM »
Yes Simon, I can understand the feeling of trepidation regarding fitment in retro of things like this. Obviously reliable as manufacturers fit but backed by considerable r&d plus durability testing.

A friend has an F2 but stored currently the "wrong way round" to easily inspect and assess. Can arrange if no other information is forthcoming to help.

Have got F2 manual pictures available if helpful to you. The tab is only a very small mod welded to the side of stand that could easily be replicated on a K2 example to facilitate fitment of a Honda rubber foot, which maybe a way to get there. 

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2022, 05:47:58 AM »
Thanks gents; much appreciated. I too have been digging, and yep Ken, the F model sidestand appears different.

Notably the K5 sidestand is a different part # to the K2/3/4, and includes the rubber. BUT, the K5 frame # is the same part # as 2/3/4, so I assume the K5 side-stand should fit a K2 frame. Am I correct in this assumption?

Nige, whilst not interested in bastardising my ignition circuit, I looked at the circuit diag you provided and am somewhat surprised in that it is not FAIL SAFE. The (Bosch type) relay is depicted as a Normally Open (NO) type unit, meaning that electrical power is needed to hold the relay closed to energise the ignition coils. Ergo, an open circuit failure in the sidestand sub-circuit will de-energise the control coil relay, causing the contacts to open and thereby cut power to the coils. (= engine failure!)
Along the same lines, whilst not made clear in the diag you posted, I’d suggest the Neutral and Sidestand switches be both NO type switches if possible - again in the interests of Fail Safe.

OR - am I missing something? (I’ve included what I reckon I’d be doing if going that route, specifically using a NC (Normally Closed) type relay)

(a look at my Moto Guzzi set up was not much use as clumps of wires just disappear into various computery things. Dang)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2022, 07:42:49 AM »
As you are asking for the bike to not stay running if the stand is down the "fail safe" mode is for the bike to not run at all wherever the stand is.
If you think a circuit failure is possible and overide/changeover  switch could be fitted somewhere.

The idea is similar to the auto car that will only start in neutrat and if the gearbox switch fails it wont start, way back in my day was one of the first things checked on a no start job

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 08:22:31 AM »
A far better solution might be a starter motor inhibit

Dreadful idea in my experience.

I had a Triumph Daytona 1000 (the four cylinder one from the 90s) that had this.

As I had about 12 of Eamon’s bikes in my barn at the time, it only got used once per year (3 miles each way for an MOT) so I could never start it. The starter would spin but it would not fire up unless the sidestand was in the up position.

Hours (well OK, minutes) of frustration.

It didn’t have a centre stand so you had to actually sit on it to start it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal