Author Topic: Electrifying our History  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Electrifying our History
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2022, 06:27:05 PM »
IMO at true motorcyclist is one prepared to ride in any weather, doesn't matter how windy or snowy it is they'll get the bike out. They don't say it looks like rain so I'll not bother, they aren't really interested in being admired, that's not why they like motorcycling, to them it's about the thrill, the ride, in some respects the danger, they know the danger but they take as many steps as they need to reduce it. If they come off, the first thought is the bike not themselves, if they are injured they can't wait to get back on.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2022, 06:39:51 PM »
Henry Cole ridden an electric bike, but then again I don't consider him to be a true motorcyclist, just someone who claims to be to earn money.
If you have read his biography he has been a life long motorcyclist it pre-dated his Heroin addiction so I  have to disagree with you Ken.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2022, 06:51:37 PM »
I don't watch Henry Cole on TV because I can't stand his infernal wittering and find his manner very annoying. Never met the bloke..so it might be his idea of a TV personality... but whatever, I can't watch him.

As far as electric bikes go.... I would consider one as a commuter.

Real biker? Ride to work every day in all weathers, and have done since I was old enough to ride on the road. Lost a few days this week due to packed ice and snow on the roads...and had to borrow the eldest son's pedal assist bicycle so I could push it to roads that had actually been salted. They only did bus routes here...But for a short range commute, the simplicity and ease of maintenance do appeal.

Would I sell my daily or my F2 for one....God no.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2022, 07:11:06 PM »
I'm not keen on most of his TV programs either but my BiL lent me his biograph/book about 6 months ago. It was a fascinating read with real warts & all disclosures leaving me in admiration of his ability to pull up his socks recovering from bankruptcy & heroin addiction. Motorcycling is at the core of his story in many ways.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2022, 08:11:14 PM »
I really don't like Henry Cole, his condescending manner just gets on my wick, he's always trying to be funny and he isn't. He always seem to find every bike the best that's ever been, I've never heard him give a real life honest to god impression on anything. We can't love all bikes, there are some we just don't like, no reason sometimes, they just don't float our boat. He doesn't seem to have any of those. He appears to have zero mechanical knowledge, he seems barely able to handle a spanner never mind use it. I watch his program despite that, I like to see some of the rides he does, I like to listen to Alan Millyard and see his genius at work. He always seems to have mates he loves to put down as well, that annoys me as well.

Whilst I have no doubt he started as a genuine biker I don't think he's one now, too interested in making money off bikes IMO.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2022, 08:45:03 PM »
Have you noticed that a lot of things from find it fix it flog it and his series with sam lovgrove(i think) turn up in the shed and buried series

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2022, 09:35:06 PM »
Just smiling as I read these Cole posts where we "mostly" share the same dislike of him for similar reasons. But we all watch his shows.....
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2022, 09:44:09 PM »
Thank god I’m not a ‘motorcyclist’ or ‘biker’. I just do it for fun both home and abroad and have been doing so for 45 years. I don’t see the fun in suffering. But that’s just me.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2022, 09:12:49 AM »
I feel Henry Cole does a very good job of both bringing these topic to mainstream programming, along with his presentation.  Pitcing any program at all to tv scheduled viewing is not easy to accomplish as the only topic they deal with is drama (think about that for a while) everything is just suspense, leading to drama and then denouement, all within 1/2 hour slots neatly packaged between advertising delivery.

Notice how any vehicle in any program/film is used for this ploy of "will it start, won't it start" scenario and most likely to crash in flames in a feature film ? It's just what the dramatist in TV program understand. The vehicle is just drama fodder in their minds.

Without Henry, no one would even see Alan, Sam, Guy etc on any mainstream programming, each of them clever in their own knowledgeable way.
I dont read it as disparaging in any way toward his co presenters, they clearly have a good time with him and with some subtle jokes about his lack of specific knowledge along with short attention span delivered in friendly humour towards Henry. 
A very welcome addition to tv programming in my view, instead of the general fodder offered over most channels.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2022, 10:45:45 AM »
Second that K2-K6.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2022, 10:47:36 AM »
Well said K2-K6 I agree with your comments I would add the following.

Back in the late 1960's I remember watching Spanish TV when on holiday - it seemed to be game shows and drivel plus some nudity.
Now here in the UK we have lowered the bar so low we even make programmes out of people sat on a sofa watching TV.
Call me old fashioned but if its Drama what's wrong with having a script with plasusable actors plying their trade - acting.
I do not want to watch so called reality TV with Trout Pout women & pumped up Charles Atlas Men uttering drivel.

Most of the TV we watch in the winter evenings is stuff filmed  20 years ago - current TV seems to be catering for a population that has an attention span measured in nano seconds with the comprehension ability needing Amoeba sized brains.

Henry Cole towers above the norm imho even if he can be patronising & irritating to watch - at least bikers are getting a better press now.  We can even cater for the foodies with Hairy Bikers. ;D ;D ;D

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2022, 11:36:00 AM »
Yes, he's done a good job of getting airtime for bikes and other interesting stuff. Just think, before him we had OCC.
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2022, 12:10:56 PM »
I love the programme and watch it avidly, dont really mind Henry. The only thing I would say (and I know each to their own etc) is I dont get his fascination with British bikes of the 60's and 70's era.

He is 5 years younger than me and my recollection of youth and especially into the 80's British bikes were just completely uncool, personally would not have been seen dead on one. So I cant understand why he waxes lyrical about riding them in his youth at all as he would only have been a teenager in the early 80's.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2022, 01:39:14 PM »
Everything thing he does. Is completely scripted & staged.
I clearly remember one episode. Where Glen English rode a MV triple.
And Henry cole says. This MV is identical to the bike ridden by 13 times world champion Gianfranco Agostini!
It could only either Giacomo Agostini or his team mate  Gianfranco Bonera.
Very poor. The bloke is a Buffoon.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2022, 02:21:59 PM »
No he’s not, yes he is, oh no he’s not. He’s behind you…..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal