Author Topic: It could only happen to us Boiler has shut down E110 I think  (Read 4291 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
It could only happen to us Boiler has shut down E110 I think
« on: December 23, 2022, 09:26:04 PM »
I have an insurance cover contract direct with Baxi to cover us in case of breakdown that includes one  service a year.. They last serviced it in August 2021 and were booked to do a service last Friday -  they cancelled the appointment due to "unforseen circumstance" with a new appointment booked for mid February 2023 I was not a happy bunny.

Last night our boiler shut down with an error code E110 manual says "Safety thermostat or Condensate Safety Float Switch Operated".
Tried reset and boiler ran for 3 minutes & tripped out again. Its a Baxi Bermuda BBU 15HE unit so effectively built into  the fireplace with an electric fire at the front.

Contacted Baxi who can come out on the 27th of 28th to get an engineer to look at it. Contacted the firm who fitted the boiler in Sept 2014 they no longer repair Baxis only Worcester Bosch.

Just wrestled the washing macine out of the kitchen unit to check the condensate pipe is not blocked. Sucked out some water so the pipe is clear - had a blow down it as well. Drain connection clean & free at the waste pipe fittong. Tried the reset again so at the moment the boiler is trying to work again - I'm not hopeful.

Currently using three electric fires to keep the ground floor warm - turned up the water bed a couple of degrees. Thank goodness it's mild weather in DErby at the moment.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Online Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: It could only happen to us Boiler has shut down E110 I think
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 10:01:37 PM »
Oh dear Ted, that's rough timing.

To think you were talking about the luxury of a heated garage this week ...

One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 10:43:12 PM »
Oh dear Ted, that's rough timing.

To think you were talking about the luxury of a heated garage this week ...

I've had to move the Prem-i-Air tower unit out of the garage into the Hall to keep the spine of the house warm - it's thermostat controlled unit so pretty good. Basic fan heater with thermostatic control to keep the smaller front lounge warm. Rear lounge is where the Baxi unit fireplace is but fire not thermostat controlled just choice of 1/2kw.
 Not going to freeze but less than ideal. I can see the leky meter working overtime for a few days.
Thank gawd it's not a heat pump system
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 10:45:37 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 11:21:51 PM »
Hope they can get to you and sort something out promptly Ted, at least it's a little warmer than last week to help you cope with restricted temporary platoon of devices.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 11:26:58 PM »
Do you get any airlock in system, or need to bleed at any point Ted?

Seems there's possibility if flow is impeded to give this alarm.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 01:26:25 AM »
Do you get any airlock in system, or need to bleed at any point Ted?

Seems there's possibility if flow is impeded to give this alarm.

The central heating is a fully pumped system with hot water cylinder & an Immersion heater (we use that in the summer rather than the gas boiler) we have four radiators that have no thermostats the other 6 radiators have thermostatic valves. The highest point in the heating loop is the tall type bathroom towel rail so any air in the system settles there - its free of air.

The error code E110 showed again after a few minutes running this evening - it has since 2014 had two replacement condensate pumps plus the two condensate level switches were replaced under warranty in 2018.  I suspect the level switch has failed again.

Thank goodness we have some back up with alternative means of water heating plus electric fires to keep the house warm. Ironically after 10 years without use we gave our SuperServe Gas bottle powered heater away as it took up too much garage space. 

Brings into focus how lucky we are compared to the people of Ukraine.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 08:21:06 AM »
Very true Ted in regards to others having such difficulties of even basic safety and peace in their lives.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 09:52:26 AM »
We run on a kerosene boiler from 1985. Very easy to fix and service, was built before any E fault codes  ;)

Offline JezzaPeach

• SOHC Expert
  • CB500/4 K1 1972 gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 11:08:43 AM »
We recently replaced the PCB and gas valve (Vaillant) before ironically it turned out to be the HT ignition lead, cost £28. The old one had no continuity when tested with a multimeter! 🤦
1972 CB500/4 K1 Gold
Wanted: my 500/4 UGP96M
from 1975-78. Garnet Brown.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 11:14:31 AM »
My thoughts of that trauma are with you Ted. We have an oil burner too, no fancy error codes. It was fitted in 1999 in between Xmas and new year, after a festive breakdown. Not going to break in the summer when it’s not used I suppose. As trigger says very easy to repair and maintain.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2022, 11:15:03 AM »
We run on a kerosene boiler from 1985. Very easy to fix and service, was built before any E fault codes  ;)

Our previous boiler was the old style Baxi Bermuda it replaced a similar previous model in 1987 it never broke down up until we replaced it in 2014 with a more efficient condensing type unit as the old unit was kettling primarily due it being a Primatic hot water tank  system. I serviced it myself  - it was so easy to clean the heat exchanger etc.

When I have my current unit serviced it is a laptop plug in job - it's gone the same way as cars.

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2022, 11:59:07 AM »
According to t'interweb it's more likely to be overheating, I Googled this: Baxi Bermuda BBU 15 HE error code e110
This is one example:

"E110 relates to the Boiler hitting its maximum temperature and cutting itself out to stop damage, so its basically overheating, there are several causes for this, its generally a circulation fault so a system blockage, Air lock or faulty pump, in very rare cases it could be the temperature stat in the boiler faulty. If boiler has pressure and there are no obvious pockets of air in system (bleed all radiators) then a Gas Engineer will be required to repair the fault."

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2022, 12:16:39 PM »
It we are going to talk boilers our 16 yr old Potterton decided to leak this summer, just the right age to buy end of line nos spares, heat exchanger, sideplate, 2 connectors and control box for less tha £500 and my best mate just closed his heating business so cheap labour, thats 1/4the price of a replacement and basicaly new

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2022, 01:32:20 PM »
According to t'interweb it's more likely to be overheating, I Googled this: Baxi Bermuda BBU 15 HE error code e110
This is one example:

"E110 relates to the Boiler hitting its maximum temperature and cutting itself out to stop damage, so its basically overheating, there are several causes for this, its generally a circulation fault so a system blockage, Air lock or faulty pump, in very rare cases it could be the temperature stat in the boiler faulty. If boiler has pressure and there are no obvious pockets of air in system (bleed all radiators) then a Gas Engineer will be required to repair the fault."

I definetely have no blockages, air locks or a faulty circulation pump - my error code booklet shows E110 is a dual fault code with two causes - excess condensate in the sump as well as overheat of the primary water/safety thermostat. Based on previous history it's more likely to be the condensate pump system.

I can reset the boiler 4 times in a 5 hour period - Ive only reset it twice - each time the radiators have all got hot - LED display on the pump is lit up as it should be - then it stops consistent with the build up of condensate activating like a frozen condensate pipe. Mine is not a high pressure system I have the older fully pumped system with a hot water tank & a 3 way motorised valve.

I will update as & when the Baxi fitter turns up & eat humble pie if it's not the condensate pump/sensor system..

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2022, 01:44:55 PM »
It we are going to talk boilers our 16 yr old Potterton decided to leak this summer, just the right age to buy end of line nos spares, heat exchanger, sideplate, 2 connectors and control box for less tha £500 and my best mate just closed his heating business so cheap labour, thats 1/4the price of a replacement and basicaly new

Strangely enough I was thinking of doing something similar with our old boiler but the efficiency of the Baxi Condensing boiler is incredible - my gas consumption in the winter fell by over 60% in units of gas used averaged over 4 years on both systems. Had we not had a Primatic type system I might have gone down that route as the capital cost would have been less.

I worked out my gas bill reduction would pay for the current boiler instalation in 8 years so theoretically the system has now paid for itself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal