Author Topic: It could only happen to us Boiler has shut down E110 I think  (Read 4169 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: It could only happen to us Boiler has shut down again.
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2024, 12:52:16 PM »
The hardware fitting work has now been done but the boiler is refusing to fire up correctly so a second Baxi engineer is currently helping with the diagnostics.....................  ::) ::) ::)

Update:-

It's had a load of new parts including the main heat exchanger & condensate tank assy.
7.5 hours after first arrival & it's sorted.
Thank goodness for boiler insurance that includes servicing a snip at £17.15 pcm on a 9 year old condensing boiler..8) 8) 8)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 06:03:21 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: It could only happen to us Boiler has shut down E110 I think
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2024, 04:18:43 PM »
I knew it would end up a nightmare for them. Can you see why I avoid doing them, had a few late finishes over the years. Hopefully you will be good for a few years now.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2024, 04:50:03 PM »
Just had to put a flow valve into our potterton he15, it had a new ebay one 6 months ago along with heat exchanger but O ring to outlet pipe started leaking and there is no part number plus nobody knows the size!! could only get the baxi one localy at short notice at 3x pattern price

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2024, 06:02:53 PM »
Boiler stopped working again yesterday fault code E158 - condensate system again.
Fixed this afternoon by Baxi engineer - poor connection on condensate pump.

Baxi Condensing Boiler is 9 years old this year with the current BBU 15 HE (lounge back boiler unit) now out of production.
I suspect getting boiler breakdown/service insurance cover might be unavailable once it's ten years old.

We are limited as to where we can fit a replacement normal condensing boiler as the lounge unit is in the centre of the house using a special plastic double chimney arrangement to draw in fresh air in from the chimney top.

I do not want a boiler unit in either of our upstairs bedrooms or in the bathroom (too small anyway.) The front lounge /room is not really suitable that leaves only the kitchen (major rework)or at a push the downstairs toilet.

Only option I can see would be in the loft but access for servicing is less than ideal not to mention all the pipework being re-routed.

Aside from the price a heat pump would have to be piped from the rear garden through our Conservatory that spans the whole of the rear of our home. We are well insulated - all our Porcelain floors would have to be dug up to fit underfloor heating anywhere.

The future might have to be Night Storage with no doubt a load of re-wiring as a 13 amp socket is probably not good enough.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 06:04:50 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2024, 06:15:05 PM »
sort of still on topic, we had problems with the condensate liquid eating through plastic pipe as it is very acidic. anyway, i came across a product called condensulate in a 10m coil, so no leaky joints
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2024, 06:33:17 PM »
Father in law had his boiler moved from bedroom to loft about 10 years ago or so. They insisted on good access with a quality fitted ladder. But it worked out fine.
My father had storage heaters. They all had separate 20A switched d/p outlets.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2024, 06:41:47 PM »
Our condensate pipe was replaced in 2018 by the contractors following our house fire in Nov 2017.
They fitted a more rigid type of translucent pipe that is routed through the rear of our fireplace into the kitchen waste water system where it is connected by a neat bespoke connector similar to the Speedfit type of unit.

Online magpie114

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • A.M. Photoblog
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2024, 06:42:40 PM »
sort of still on topic, we had problems with the condensate liquid eating through plastic pipe as it is very acidic. anyway, i came across a product called condensulate in a 10m coil, so no leaky joints
Recently had exactly the same problem. The pipe in our house runs behind the plaster board between the kitchen and bathroom. The joints were attacked by the acidic condensate and only found out when a patch appeared on the bathroom wall. The studding and insulation were soaking wet. I’ll check out condensulate,
sounds like the perfect solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current bikes:
Honda CB350F
Honda VFR400
Suzuki 650

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2024, 08:49:07 PM »
Recently had exactly the same problem. The pipe in our house runs behind the plaster board between the kitchen and bathroom. The joints were attacked by the acidic condensate and only found out when a patch appeared on the bathroom wall. The studding and insulation were soaking wet. I’ll check out condensulate,
sounds like the perfect solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Working in chemical plant, all of the pipes were rigid pvc type, with glued together fittings for terminals, routing etc.

One of the easiest to work with too, just a blade type pipe cutter and all glued joints, highly impervious to high and low pH chemicals and ultra reliable.  Absolute doddle to design and install.

Offline Craizeehair

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
It could only happen to us Boiler has shut down E110 I think
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2024, 09:09:57 PM »
Boiler stopped working again yesterday fault code E158 - condensate system again.

We are limited as to where we can fit a replacement normal condensing boiler as the lounge unit is in the centre of the house using a special plastic double chimney arrangement to draw in fresh air in from the chimney top.

I do not want a boiler unit in either of our upstairs bedrooms or in the bathroom (too small anyway.) The front lounge /room is not really suitable that leaves only the kitchen (major rework)or at a push the downstairs toilet.

Only option I can see would be in the loft but access for servicing is less than ideal not to mention all the pipework being re-routed.
Not sure where your airing cupboard is Ted but a good option can be a Combi in that position. We do plenty of those conversions, it’s pretty standard and works well, only real things to overcome are the gas supply, the flueing and the condense waste.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 09:46:01 PM by Craizeehair »

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2024, 11:22:23 PM »
Unfortunately our airing cupboard has no space for the boilers due to the slope of the bedroom roof.

Ideally I want to keep my hot water tank & immersion. I'm not keen on mains hot water  pressure on my 50 year-old radiator pipes.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 11:40:44 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Gromitdog

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2024, 08:02:11 AM »
Hi Ted

I think the clue to why you got problems is in the name of the boiler unfortunately, We went for a Vassmaan back in 2019 and its run like a dream ever since and their was only a little difference in the price.  Hopefully your get it fixed very soon and be toasty warm ;).

Gromitdog
KEEPING IT SHINY SIDE UP IS ALWAYS A GOOD RESULT ON A RIDE OUT

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2024, 10:10:23 AM »
Ted. I'm pretty sure all back boilers were finally phased out in 2020 (Hurrah). The Viessmann boilers are reported to be suffering from burner box corrosion, the larger ones have even had a recall/replacement notice that cost the company a lot of money. When you say a bad connection to the condensate pump, was that water or electrics. The pumps on those things are a nightmare, if you have wooden floors you can replace the pump with a decent one. There's not room in a BBU for a better pump so we put them under the floor next to the chimney breast and pipe/wire to there. Obviously the pump needs to be lower than the heat exchanger so that wont work on a concrete floor.

I don't know the layout of your house but there are usually options. Is it a house or bungalow, is it concrete floors, are there laminate/tiled floors everywhere, is there room outside where you could build a small lean-to boiler room, is your chimney on an outside wall etc.

In 30 years as a gas engineer I have never failed to find a way to replace a boiler. An example was a back boiler replacement that we couldn't figure out. In the end the chimney breast (on an outside wall) was opened up and a combi put inside the old chimney then they had a cupboard front fitted. There was a lot of other work to it but that was the jist. Just some ideas for you.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2024, 10:41:28 AM »
I believe only Baxi made a condensing boiler to directly  replace their famous Baxi Bermuda back boiler item.

When our house was built a Bermuda model was fitted from new in 1967. That first boiler lasted until 1987 when it was replaced with a similar unit with a more modern front gas fire. The boiler sits behind it in the fireplace recess. The second boiler was replaced in 2014 with the current condensing type.

With Baxi  boiler life of 20 & 17 years I stuck with Baxi due to a good experience with the brand plus no one else made one that would  was a direct replacement. Obviously lost the front gas fire for a modern electric unit due to the special chimney arrangement.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2024, 11:16:30 AM »
I agree Roy there must be other options, the local firm that fitted the BBU seemed to think the rear bedroom was the only other viable option.

We have solid concrete floors no wood on the ground floor. The. Kitchen option would mean having our consumer unit moved plus a relocation of Gas Hob & Oven Units.

Our outside walls, one side is our driveway, other side is our neighbours drive. Rear wall has full width Conservatory, front wall is  the building line. My worry with the loft is it's a low height as it's a Dorma- Bungalow design. The existing header tanks would struggle to get them raised above the boiler.

The rear bedroom option might be the best of a lousy  set of alternatives. Our boiler never faulted for the first 3 years. It's only since our serious fire that the boiler has started faulting.

With a bit of luck we can squeeze another 4 years out of what we have provided the insurance cover is not prohibitive.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal