Author Topic: Happy New Year and Speedo question  (Read 723 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Happy New Year and Speedo question
« on: January 01, 2023, 10:04:52 AM »
Happy New Year to you all - hope it's a great riding and restoration season!
Anyhoo, I'm on with restoring the clocks on this 550 and the speedo has a problem - the cable attachment point thread look to have suffered some trauma and although the cable ferrule screws on OK, the mech is rather tight.  I've removed the lower section which is attached to the miles/trip unit and cleaned it in the ultrasonic bath, then lightly lubed with clock oil and spun the squared hole in the lathe but it's still tighter than I would like.
It's nigh impossible to dismantle that piece further (unless I really have to!) so I'm looking for a damaged spare to cannibalise - if such a thing exists!  It's originally a green faced ND clock, not Nippon Seiki but I have new faces anyway.  I wouldn't imagine ND and NS unit parts are the same - the face mount screw holes are different centre distances to start with.

Ian

Offline Toko_Jo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Happy New Year and Speedo question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 10:31:30 AM »
Not sure what this is off Ian but it spins OK and has decent damping still. Free to a good home .. as long as you originate from 'ull  ;D
PM me if any good. Ash gave it to me but it doesn't fit my model.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 10:57:58 AM by Toko_Jo »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 10:34:25 AM »
Also wishing a Happy New Year to one and all.

I've not any parts to help Ian, but the possibility of a route to assist. You could try something like clock oil mixed with naptha / kerosene  lighter fluid ? To attempt better freeing penetration on the existing item. I know mechanical camera repairing often makes use of this to mobilise sectuons that may be quite gummy from years of drying inactivity.

Recently I was working on a particularly recalcitrant suspension bolt on Mrs K's car, nothing was having any impact on it and embarrassing that I was some significant number of days into this without positive results  :-[ I used a spray which I think is based on this and more or less immediately it started to flow through the joint, then appeared at far end of structure after which it released. 
I say "think" as it's a cheap maintenence spray product of which they don't want to tell you what's in it. I'm trying to cross reference from msds data to find common details, but this does look like naphtha kerosene area of petroleum distillation so nothing special but nevertheless seems effective.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 02:12:58 PM »
Thanks Toko_Jo for the offer, unfortunately I think that is a 750 clock - up to 140mph might be a tad optimistic for a 550.  Also the trip reset shaft is horizontal on yours, whereas mine is vertical, coming out through the chrome dish.

Thanks also to K2-K6, I will try that combination for lube but I fear that the shaft might be bent very slightly causing it to bind, so either replacement or un-crimping the squared end might be the only ways.  There are thrust washers at either end of that shaft and I can get a 5 thou feeler in the gap, so it it seems like a radial, rather than axial bind.  If I can remove the outer end collar over the 'crimp' or swelling, then I can make another and silver solder it back on - there will be no material left to swell out for fixing.

This is the part:

Ian
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 02:15:13 PM by Orcade-Ian »

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 04:14:06 PM »
Stand easy folks,
Managed to salvage the piece I have.  I sneaked into the garage and used a very sharp pair of carpenters pincers to tease back the swelled out end of the drive shaft and remove the holding collar.  The shaft came out easily and was indeed slightly bent (no corrosion though) but a couple of minutes with a small slip stone on the high point soon had it revolving freely.  Tomorrow I'll make a new slightly shorter collar which will allow the tube end to be swelled out again - perhaps with a tiny smear of loctite.

Ian

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 04:53:30 PM »
Ian - I have a big box of spares gauges in storage, I’m pretty sure I can supply the spares you need (FOC of course) to sort it.

Can you post pictures of specifically what you need?

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 06:06:51 PM »
Thanks James,
Very kind but I'm confident it will be fine now but if it goes pear shaped, I'll shout!
Still very pleased with the way things are coming along with the bike - carbs just about ready for re-fitting.  Then it's on to the bench for more detailing.

Best regards,
Ian
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 06:08:34 PM by Orcade-Ian »

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 06:12:23 PM »
Awesome - that's coming along nicely!

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 06:28:29 PM »
Carbs looking great Ian,well done mate
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 06:33:57 PM »
Not fitted the lifting arms onto the ball joints Ian? I always found it easier to do those before I mounted the carbs onto the bracket.

And I can't see the small peg that fits between 2 and 3 carbs for the return spring to mount onto?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 07:41:00 PM »
Well spotted Ken, you've won a teapot!

Just bunged 'em all on to clear the bench - if they had glass float bowls you would also notice the main jet springs are missing!

Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal