Author Topic: OUT AND ABOUT 2023  (Read 32179 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: OUT AND ABOUT 2023
« Reply #480 on: October 17, 2023, 02:52:13 PM »
I saw this 'show pony' at Stafford but quite a few things non-standard that let it down as a true UK model
USA front guard
K0 chainguard (should be painted black, not chromed)
Alloy rims
K0 'TYPE 1" stamped points cover.
Pattern silencers
Overpolished alloy.
Top yoke should be painted black.
HT Plug Caps
Headlamp bowl should be painted black.

Below is the CB350K4 UK Brochure shot.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Ash you're getting like Graham with his "If it ain't original, it ain't good" Mantra. That is a superb example, one that 99% of the members would happily own. Lot of money and a lot of time spent on that. Very narrow minded, I expected better of you.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 17, 2023, 05:46:02 PM »
There's definitely a storm brewing, just putting the bikes inside for the winter, I can't believe that's another riding season over 😭😭😭😭

Unbelievably it has passed by at quite a speed. Mine are away today for a few months, probably March at the earliest. Sad times! Touring bike available throughout the winter for the odd run.🥶
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 17, 2023, 06:02:39 PM »
There's definitely a storm brewing, just putting the bikes inside for the winter, I can't believe that's another riding season over 😭😭😭😭

Unbelievably it has passed by at quite a speed. Mine are away today for a few months, probably March at the earliest. Sad times! Touring bike available throughout the winter for the odd run.🥶
I think it's storm Babette thats heading our way and your way next Johnny. Yes, we've left two CD250u's accessible for a dry cold day ride.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #483 on: October 17, 2023, 06:15:36 PM »
I'm waiting until the Council vandals start chucking salt about before putting the classics away - they often start around where Johnny stays but out here in the Wild West we can often get a longish ride without venturing to the great Metropolis.
Lots to do this Winter though - wheel rims and silencer to have re-chromed on the 550, more parts to paint on the Ducati Elite and a CD175 Sloper to finish assembly and wiring for a friend up here.
The 350 Forza will be used as and when and cleaned regularly - 3200 miles on already, new in May - love it!

Ian

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 17, 2023, 06:16:09 PM »
I'll be taking mine off the road next month for some much needed maintenance and fitting of new parts. After that it will be run through the winter, so long as the weather isn't too bad of course. No fun in thick snow.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 17, 2023, 08:19:00 PM »
I saw this 'show pony' at Stafford but quite a few things non-standard that let it down as a true UK model
USA front guard
K0 chainguard (should be painted black, not chromed)
Alloy rims
K0 'TYPE 1" stamped points cover.
Pattern silencers
Overpolished alloy.
Top yoke should be painted black.
HT Plug Caps
Headlamp bowl should be painted black.

Below is the CB350K4 UK Brochure shot.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Ash you're getting like Graham with his "If it ain't original, it ain't good" Mantra. That is a superb example, one that 99% of the members would happily own. Lot of money and a lot of time spent on that. Very narrow minded, I expected better of you.

I dont agree mate ..if you put a show pony up on the VJMC stand you are asking for it to be scrutinised.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 17, 2023, 09:13:44 PM »
True, if its on a marque stand it needs to be 100%

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 17, 2023, 09:55:46 PM »
How do you know it's a show pony? For me a show pony is a bike that isn't used on the roads, half have no engine internals for example or are trailered there. Unless you know for certain that's the case it should be admired for what it is, we can all find fault with other peoples bikes, just admire the work that's gone into it even if it doesn't float your own particular boat.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 17, 2023, 10:03:34 PM »
I thought that 150 looked as good as new, a credit to the owner with a well deserved Blue Rosette.
FWIW the expression "Show Pony" says more about the Critic than the Owner it's like calling a good looking gal a Tart. Even if it's true she is still a looker.😁😁😁
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 17, 2023, 10:05:18 PM »
I was merely pointing out the inaccuracies Ken. If you went to that much trouble restoring one you would find the correct front mudguard for instance. I have found five of them in the past 8 years for own projects, which rechromed perfectly. I bought a NOS K4 one which I sold on and sourced 3 more for friends for their bikes. So no I am not being picky as the parts are out there if you look globally. If it was a 'show pony' CB500K0 and it had a Candy Custom Gold paint set rather than a Statlight Gold set you would be all over criticising it.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 17, 2023, 10:17:25 PM »
Sorry but must disagree with you there Ash. If it was a show pony 500 then frankly I'd be disgusted that such a good bike was being wasted. The colour it was wouldn't bother me in the least, each to their own. My K1 is in Starlight Gold so incorrect colour, it has loads of parts from other period 500/550s as well, I don't mind that either. So long as the parts suit the bike I'm good with it. Like the 550F2 having a double stay front guard when it should only have the rear stay, it's period so that wouldn't bother me in the least. I even have a Yamaha rear light on mine, again, period.

However, IF the owner was selling it as original then yes I would point out inconsistencies, maybe the owner didn't want the expense of buying an overpriced NOS guard when he had a perfectly acceptable one ready to go.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 17, 2023, 11:43:41 PM »
I thought that 150 looked as good as new, a credit to the owner with a well deserved Blue Rosette.
FWIW the expression "Show Pony" says more about the Critic than the Owner it's like calling a good looking gal a Tart. Even if it's true she is still a looker.😁😁😁

You can criticize me as much as you want mate .... seems just expressing an opinion on here lately leads to controversy. Man has this forum degenerated recently. Feel like voting with my feet.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 18, 2023, 12:38:19 AM »
There's no harm in expressing an opinion Ash, I just thought the comments were unwarranted. IF you hadn't have pointed out the things that were not 100% standard I doubt I'd have known any different TBH. To me it just looked a really nice restoration, another old bike back on the road. Same for the red 150, not my cup of tea at all. However, if the owner wants to spend thousands doing a restoration I say good luck to him, he'll likely never get that money back again, but I really suspect he or she will be over the moon with a blue rosette, it's like a nod in their direction, yeah good job there, looks nice.

I attended 2 bike shows with my L reg, on both occasions I was asked to put the bike in the show, it won awards on both occasions even though it was unwashed. It made my day, even though I didn't attend to do that. It sort of vindicates your taste, it may not be to everyones' taste but at least they recognise the effort involved. If the criteria was to be 100% original they'd be no bikes show, no customs, no choppers etc. Lighten up, appreciate the beauty, take it for what it is, not what it's not, that's my point.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 18, 2023, 12:45:07 AM »
Thats why mine are rebuilds and not restos

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 18, 2023, 09:52:46 AM »

Having spent the entire summer trying to get my bike working properly following a winter rest, and having only ridden about 20 miles altogether during summer, I have decided I'm keeping mine going this winter.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal