Author Topic: CB550F ELECTRONIC IGNITION  (Read 1225 times)

Offline shurety2

• View Profile
CB550F ELECTRONIC IGNITION
« on: January 01, 2023, 04:42:43 PM »
ANYONE FITTED DYNATEK IGNITION COILS AND IGNITION SYSTEM TO THEIR BIKES,AND IS THE CONVERSION WORTH CONSIDERING.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB550F ELECTRONIC IGNITION
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 05:01:24 PM »
ANYONE FITTED DYNATEK IGNITION COILS AND IGNITION SYSTEM TO THEIR BIKES,AND IS THE CONVERSION WORTH CONSIDERING.
I have it on my 400 - it's expensive but at least replacing HT leads is plug & play timing was easy. Many here prefer the Hondaman system not sure if it does away with the mechanical advance & retard.In all probability I will transfer the system to my 500 when it's a runner again.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 06:20:39 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 06:06:40 PM »
Worth considering? The original Honda system in good condition and set correctly lacks for nothing really, it was bang on the money from first iteration and performs without any effective limitations. That gives many of the claims about replacement fairly speculative basis that's more rooted in  car systems. These bikes are never a problem starting etc anyway and never have been.

However, getting good components to service, set etc is more problematic as they get older along with patience and knowledge to finely adjust them.

The electronic system are good with the different offering replacing/enhancing varios function and each a little different.  All of them seem to offer reasonable technical design that's reliable and with ease of setup too often incorporated with timing light on some.

Hondaman system just suppliments the original hardware by taking the switching load electronic.

Dynatec replaces more components, including their own spec coils.

Boyer is completely electronic with programmed advance, switching and bespoke coils as the most complete replacement. Very long term reliability as they've made these system for years.

All are fine if set and installed correctly. 

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 06:16:04 PM »
I agree with your comments I just think that Honda should have made HT leads that plug into the coil rather than moulding them  into the coil.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 08:41:48 PM »
Why, 40 plus years and most still work, carefull on the ohms with dyna coils and there have been reports on the US forum of dynas failing, personaly dont think electronic is worth it for the miles most of our bikes do

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 08:55:13 PM »
My issue is with the moulded in plug leads - never found modern plug leads that last more 10 years.

One mishap with dropping a hot lead on a hot front pipe or chaffing against bodywork/engine  then its either a new coil with leads or a complicated repair as per Ash's write up in Aladdins Cave.

Fair point Bryan about  low mileage/use  bikes that are set up correctly not needing electronic Ignition.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 08:57:27 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 09:03:25 PM »
No chance if melting a lead on a pipe if you reverse mount the coils, I’ve been saying this for years, they are far better with the leads facing back not forward
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 10:01:37 PM »
I agree with your comments I just think that Honda should have made HT leads that plug into the coil rather than moulding them  into the coil.

My 1980 CB650 still has the original coils and the HT leads plug into the coils. I’m pretty sure they are the same spacing as my 1974 550 to fit to the frame.
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 11:38:40 PM »
650 has different ohm coils as it aint points

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 12:14:27 AM »
No chance if melting a lead on a pipe if you reverse mount the coils, I’ve been saying this for years, they are far better with the leads facing back not forward

I tried to mount the coils backwards on my 500 - they would not fit in the frame gap without catching the frame at the back - not sure if there is more than one type of coil mounting design - it was nothing like the 400 type - could this be due to it being a KO frame that had an earlier  design of coil mounting bracket / frame bolt holes?

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 02:21:12 AM »
I’m betting you just turned them round?

They do fit, must do as I’ve fitted them backwards but I didn’t just turn them, leave the mounting brackets in the same place, dismount the coils only by removing the 2 screws and turn them round, leaving 1 and 4 still on the left. Try that.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 08:57:49 AM »
Had another member visit recently and we concluded that electronic ignition is for people that can not set points correctly  ;D

I can see the advantage if you are using it as a daily runner to get to work and clocking up 5 to 10 thousand miles a year but, as a classic bike most owner don't even clock up a thousand miles a year, it is just not worth it. I have some bikes that are just over the 40,000 miles and they have never had a problem on the original points system.

The only time that i have been let down by points was, the flat spring broke on number 2&3 many years ago. The bike still made it home and a 15 minute job to replace them, it was back on the road and still going strong today.

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 10:46:01 AM »
And let's not forget... back then Honda has won all races with breakerpoints ignitions...

Offline nikxan1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 11:29:17 AM »
you dont need to replace the coils if you install the Dyna CDI. i had the same issue, i e-mailed Dyna, and they said that its ok. so i did. they RECCOMEND you to replace, but its ok if you dont. i myself did not replace the coils, and so far everything is ok. keep in mind thought that you need to be aware that you dont have a rev limiter if you put the CDI, so you have to be carefull, or install the rev limiter kit that Dyna also provides.

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2023, 01:37:56 PM »
Half the fun is going through the red band, why would you need a rev limiter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal