Author Topic: DS full aftermarket exhuast system for the 500  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: DS full aftermarket exhuast system for the 500
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2023, 03:26:29 PM »
They do look good quality Julie and as you say, they line up very well.  They are double skinned headers then?
Hope you don't leave tyre marks on that Kitchen floor  :)

Ian
Yes Ian, double skinned. No tyre marks on the kitchen floor as they are all parked up in the old Conservatory. But, I have been known to leave tyre marks on the kitchen floor in the not to distant past 😂😂😂😂
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2023, 03:44:40 PM »
On the international forum the other day I've seen a link to the Busso site and was surprised to see a discount. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,131225.msg2228895.html#msg2228895
I just looked again and it seems the discount has disappearedand so was only in december.
BTW, does any of you know if, the OEM brackets will fit the repro pipes and if aftermarket brackets will fit OEM pipes. The reason I ask. My OEM pipes are still OK, but I had to order a repro bracket for the #2 pipe, after I had mishandled the OEM one. I have not yet put the repro bracket on. Now I've noticed the repro bracket is thicker, heavier and so more rigid than the OEM one. I don't expect you can tweak it as easily as the original bracket if needed. So I have two options: either use the repro bracket and hope the best of it or remodel the OEM bracket back again to its original form by using the repro as a model.
I realise my question is a bit complex and can only hope I made myself understood.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 04:01:29 PM by deltarider »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2023, 06:04:10 PM »
I've found directly the opposite, the repro brackets are less rigid and use a thinner metal then the original brackets. They will both fit both types BTW. I did find the repro brackets made the exhausts sit out of line on some of them. My BIL bought a set of repro brackets from DS and we ended up using my original brackets as templates to bend the back into shape. The lower brackets are the most out of line.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline bruxby-clive

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2023, 08:52:46 PM »
I bought a set from CMS just as the pandemic struck in 2020 and they have sat in the garage since arrival, reading through this thread has worried me as although I looked at them I have not tried to fit them yet. They appeared to look alright individually, but until I fit them I won't know if they are alright. I also purchased a set of brackets from Andy Cepok in Germany, could this be fun in trying to fit them.  :o
Just because you are breathing, doesn't mean you are alive.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2023, 10:34:20 PM »
I found fitting my Motad 400 exhaust really hard work getting four front pipes to fit squarely at the cylinder head then into the rear silencer 4 into 1 arrangement even though it had been fitted to the bike before strip down.
I did a dry run without any sealant & marked how far down the pipes need to go with a marker pen - when I dismantled it to add some sealant the re-fit did not go to plan. IIRC it took me a couple of hours of sweat and trying again before it suddenly decided to fit. I think the pipes just decided to submit.
I had changed the rear bracket for the original one as the old bracket had just the one bolt attached to the frame & I wanted two.

At least on the 500 type system its just two pipes from two manifolds with two brackets so that ought in theory to be easier on one level as it leaves wiggle room not a great start if the brackets are not right to begin with though? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 11:09:24 PM »
The key to getting the 4 into 4 system to hang right is to fit them with the end joints missing at first. Fit the lower one first, remember that this bracket goes behind the frame hanger, fit the manifold clamp and collets very loosely so the front can still move around but can’t fall. Now fit the upper exhaust, bracket now goes in front of the frame hanger, so one each side, fit the footrest loosely. Look at the balance pipe at the rear of the exhausts, they should be directly in line with a small gap between them. Now move the pipes to allow this to happen, make sure the downpipes aren’t touching the frame especially on the left side, one pipe goes behind the side stand bracket and one in front. Once everything lines up, nip up the lower manifold clamp to fix it in place, loosen off the upper pipe until you can fit the rubber balance pipe, realign the upper and tighten the footrest bolts first, then the manifold ones. If you’ve got it right everything should look aligned from the rear with no twisting in sight.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2023, 05:43:53 AM »
Thanks Ken I've saved your fitting instructions for future use - interesting that some brackets are fitted behind the frame.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline bruxby-clive

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2023, 12:14:08 PM »
Many thanks for the fitting tips Ken, I have printed of a copy to help when I do fit them.
Just because you are breathing, doesn't mean you are alive.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2023, 02:47:49 PM »
[...] ... and tighten the footrest bolts first, then the manifold ones. [...]
The idea is to avoid strain. So I have always thought that in the end, when everything is pretty well aligned, you tighten the manifold nuts in the front first and then the footrest as the latter's hole in the bracket, offer the assembly a little room to move.
Or, even better, prior to assembly, have the two 8mm nuts (on the inner side of the bracket) a bit loose and tighten them the very last, as at least one of the holes in the bracket, like the one for the 10mm bolt offers room for the assembly to move (see pic below). I've tested it and with the right wrench this can be done.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 02:52:45 PM by deltarider »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2023, 03:23:44 PM »
You tighten the footrests first as they can sometimes move the exhausts into a different line, if you tightened the manifolds bolts before that it will cause the exhausts gaskets to leak as the force moves the exhaust header. A 10mm bolt will always exert more force than a 6mm bolt.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2023, 03:47:05 PM »
You tighten the footrests first as they can sometimes move the exhausts into a different line, if you tightened the manifolds bolts before that it will cause the exhausts gaskets to leak as the force moves the exhaust header. A 10mm bolt will always exert more force than a 6mm bolt.
Then, if you don't mind me asking... why are two of the holes in the bracket shaped the way they are?

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2023, 03:55:36 PM »
To allow the bracket to be moved slightly to get a better alignment. It’s not the forward and backward alignment that changes when you tighten the 10mm bolt it’s the in/out alignment that changes, it’s this that twists the exhaust out of shape. How many exhausts have you seen where the jointing rubber is sitting at an angle. If the exhausts are properly aligned they are right above each other and that rubber is straight.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2023, 07:14:59 PM »
I bought mine from DSS in May 2016. £850 including delivery and as I could have got them from CMS slightly cheaper they agreed to match the price. Pre B. Fitted them in April 17 after removing a original set with a few holes underneath that I managed to sell for £300.
Had a lot of trouble getting 1 & 2 on to my satisfaction with original brackets. Finally on, no 2 does not stick out but is not evenly spaced when viewed from front on. Bought some DSS aftermarket brackets and meant to revisit, but nearly six years, never have.
Other issue was with the main stand rubber stop which is on no 2 ended about 10mm out and I made a plate to suit.
But no other problems and they clean up like near new.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2023, 10:16:55 AM »
Seconded for CMS
I got mine ftom there and they fitted well
Only issue was i had to mod the main stand bump stop slightly as it didn't line up but it was an easy mod
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2023, 02:46:57 PM »
My set was in boxes marked CMSNL.
Can't see them listed there at present. Strange. If I was buying a set now I would try Busso if they are double skinned.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal