Author Topic: Touring Britain  (Read 639 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Touring Britain
« on: January 11, 2023, 04:37:30 PM »
Someone on another forum wanted ideas on routes for the traditional Lands End to John O' Groats ride. It got me thinking, has anyone ever heard of anyone riding the same route but keeping to the coastline whenever possible? In theory you could actually start anywhere and end in the same place. Looking at Google maps for instance you can see some peninsulas are only served by one road, so I'd say that excludes that part of the country, you can't use the same road for more than say 1 mile. Not sure how many miles it would cover but certainly quite a few more than the traditional route and of course take far longer but the scenery would be much better and all the sea air would give you some lovely rosy cheeks  ;D ;D
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Touring Britain
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 05:27:38 PM »
My brother did the Lands End to John O Groats route on his pedal cycle - that was eclipsed about 7 years ago when he rode from Derby to Klagenfurt in Austria with our Mums ashes - Wendy & I flew out & met him there eventually going to Maria Rain where we scattered Mums ashes (unofficially) in the church grounds where I was Christened.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 06:10:15 PM »
Ken, I did leJog back in 2004 (heck that's nearly 20 years ago!) on a recumbent pedal trike belonging to the patients at the Spinal Unit where I was working back then.  I avoided the coastline as when using pedal power you frequently have severe climbs from a lovely sandy bay up over a bugger of a hill, only to drop back down to yet another sandy bay - especially in Cornwall and Devon.  We've also done big chunks of it by motorcycle and car and the coastline certainly is spectacular.  I did 1035 miles and it took me 18 days cycling - the record for a human powered two wheeler stood at 44 hours for a while - not sure what it is now.  Cyclist Touring Club (CTC) have skeletal routes you can hang your own deviations on.  Not sure how this other forum member is travelling but they won't be disappointed however they do it.
They say that doing the End to End can be a life changing experience - I can vouch for that!  It's why we ended up in Orkney!

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/Cycling/Le%20Jog%202004.htm

Ted, I've been to Klagenfurt and that's some distance to cycle!  We were only on a GoldWing!

Ian
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 06:12:20 PM by Orcade-Ian »

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 09:26:04 PM »
Ian! You Hero! Thanks very much for sharing that very interesting account of your Le Jog trip and for a great cause.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 03:12:03 AM »
Wow Ian what an achievement - those Recumbents are hard work up a hill - respect dude.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 10:23:24 AM »
My admiration too Ian, and such an adventure for you.

The severn bridge bit struck a cord with me, went across there as a child going on holiday and amazed at the size, structure etc of it. Also stopped at the Aust services from which you could look out across this engineering achievement.

Clock forward, went to collect a "bay" purchase of Cannondale aluminium frame and lefty single sided fork from nearby, drove out the short distance to reminisce to find those services still there, mostly unused. Walked through toward what I recognised as the main building (now private it seems) and out to that same viewing area I'd stood all those years ago,now partly derelict but with original opening plaque still there. Quite poignant really as memories of our family holidays camping on Gower peninsula floated past. Walking back and past a coach stand/rank all echelon fashion with bespoke little shelters etc, all illustrative of the excitement of people holidaying in these islands with that anticipation of going somewhere. 

This image always intrigued me too, Bob Dylan waiting for the Aust ferry prior to the bridge being built

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Has such a fix in time, but very gentle image all the same.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 10:26:51 AM »
Someone on another forum wanted ideas on routes for the traditional Lands End to John O' Groats ride. It got me thinking, has anyone ever heard of anyone riding the same route but keeping to the coastline whenever possible? In theory you could actually start anywhere and end in the same place. Looking at Google maps for instance you can see some peninsulas are only served by one road, so I'd say that excludes that part of the country, you can't use the same road for more than say 1 mile. Not sure how many miles it would cover but certainly quite a few more than the traditional route and of course take far longer but the scenery would be much better and all the sea air would give you some lovely rosy cheeks  ;D ;D
sounds really interesting Ken and some cracking places to ride.

Like others have commented, I've quite a few sections travelled around coastline from childhood to driving while working etc and each of them so interesting.  It'd be a great journey to do all of it.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 10:31:37 AM »
Another cool photo from that era

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Bridge being built in background too.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 10:41:42 AM »
Just thinking about it, that's a fair old pace you held there Ian over that period.

Can quite see the point about reducing friction etc to help, and it must have had quite good gemoetry to be safe at 40 mph too  :o

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 08:14:56 PM »
Just thinking about it, that's a fair old pace you held there Ian over that period.

Can quite see the point about reducing friction etc to help, and it must have had quite good gemoetry to be safe at 40 mph too  :o

It didn't seem like much of a pace to me and I didn't want to spoil the enjoyment by trying too hard - I was 54 when I did that ride, so not in the first flush of youthful enthusiasm!  I was not out to beat any records and the Management gave me some extra leave to add to what I'd booked, so I treat each day as an adventure.
As far as being safe at 40mph - er, not really!  I learned very early on that the safest way to get round bends at high speeds downhill was not to use the steering - far too 'twitchy' but to ease either of the independent front drum brakes on to effect the turn.  It was very controllable like that and if you wanted to scrub speed off as well, then using both brakes but one more fiercely allowed you to keep the line.

Although it was a heavy contraption (I never did actually weigh it fully laden) you could actually put a lot more than your body weight onto the pedals using your quads because you had the back of the very comfy seat to push against - unlike on a normal bike.  Up really steep hills it was more akin to 'winching' your way up - like moving a wardrobe by sitting on the floor and pushing it with your feet!
Christine and I bought an almost identical Trike some time later - which we still have and I have done the 'Rousay Lap' on it (Johnny will know what that is!)

Ian
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 09:59:48 PM by Orcade-Ian »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal