Author Topic: Are these a Bargain?  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Are these a Bargain?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 11:14:05 AM »
I always spray the undersides of my tanks with Zinc182, if the paint is visible I overspray it satin black. I do this with every part I feel isn’t protected properly, insides of fork ears including the back of the ear itself, inside of handlebars, underside of rear mudguard etc. I’ve found doing this has extended the life of these parts. Cost of parts these days you need to ensure they last as long as possible. I intend to try and do the inside of the swinging arm this time, picked one up the other day and you could hear rust rattling around inside it, cleared the air holes at the back and the amount of rust particles that came out was amazing.

On my last set of exhausts I did the reverse side of them as that’s where the rust starts, found 2 of them in the shed last year, been there for over 40 years, in a damp environment as well, cleaned off the zinc spray and the metal was perfect underneath. They are still in excellent condition and I may end up selling them on eBay.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2023, 11:56:58 AM »
Does anyone list the RAL number for the Honda colours?
If  you have that anyone can mix the paint to match?

RAL is just a colour chart. Most Honda paint is a build up of layers to get the correct colour starting with a base coat. The only paint code that honda still use is NH-1 Black. ;)

Yes RAL is just a colour chart - it's a good starting point in terms of reproducing any given colour. Reflectance, refractance, pigment quality. molecular chain length, colour fastness, metal flake sizes, gloss,silk etc paint medium used then of course the banning of Lead Chromate based pigments in many applications make paint manufacturing complex - not to mention water base v cellulose solvents.

Back in the 1960's following the widespread use of metallic paints in the automotive industry many repairers had problems matching colours in paint shops - as you say Graham layered application was one aspect. Two different painters could come out with two different finshed colours using the same paint & equipment.

An important aspect in reproducing colours on an industrial scale is the way that the component pigments are now consistently manufactured  - the use of robotic spray booths has improved the end product no end.
https://www.ralcolorchart.com/ral-classic#:~:text=The%20RAL%20Classic%20colors%20have,3%20digits%20are%20chosen%20sequentially.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 03:09:09 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2023, 12:13:03 PM »

RS paints use Lechler paint, my local paint shop told me any Lechler supplier should be able to make up anything RS can supply. He was
     struggling to make up Antares red for me until i said RS can make it up. Onto the computer and job done and far cheaper than RS.

Did they match it from the Honda name? Who was your local supplier ?  ... worth knowing about.  I know that all of the UK based painters I have used have never used RS because it's simply too expensive for them to make a decent profit.  Their paint is Lechler but the clear isn't. Buggers tried to sell me basecoat for Honda Scarlet solid colour ?? at £21 for a 400ml aerosol .. when I quizzed them it's just white primer. I mixed my own paint  in the end with 50% RAL signal red and 50% Kawasaki Vivo Red and it's a perfect match to what they sell.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2023, 04:15:42 PM »
When i went to RS in Bradford, the father was running it and it was solvent based paints, they could not tell the difference between the two golds so was not impressed

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2023, 09:28:16 PM »

RS paints use Lechler paint, my local paint shop told me any Lechler supplier should be able to make up anything RS can supply. He was
     struggling to make up Antares red for me until i said RS can make it up. Onto the computer and job done and far cheaper than RS.

Did they match it from the Honda name? Who was your local supplier ?  ... worth knowing about.  I know that all of the UK based painters I have used have never used RS because it's simply too expensive for them to make a decent profit.  Their paint is Lechler but the clear isn't. Buggers tried to sell me basecoat for Honda Scarlet solid colour ?? at £21 for a 400ml aerosol .. when I quizzed them it's just white primer. I mixed my own paint  in the end with 50% RAL signal red and 50% Kawasaki Vivo Red and it's a perfect match to what they sell.

I had told them the Honada paint name and given them the old paint code and they were unable to find anything from either of them and we had got down to looking at paint chips. It was only when i mentioned that RS did it was when he told me they use Lechler the same as them and trom there on  it was no problem and spray cans were filled, They are only a small place and have a fb page. https://www.facebook.com/autopaintnorthern/
   AutoPaint Northern  Phone: 01924 410125     4B Union Rd, Liversedge WF15 7HW

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2023, 01:00:24 PM »

I had told them the Honada paint name and given them the old paint code and they were unable to find anything from either of them and we had got down to looking at paint chips. It was only when i mentioned that RS did it was when he told me they use Lechler the same as them and trom there on  it was no problem and spray cans were filled, They are only a small place and have a fb page. https://www.facebook.com/autopaintnorthern/

Hmm this is what I got back re asking about Candy Starlight Gold.

Re: Honda Motorcycle paint
Inbox

Timothy O'reilly <autopaintnorthern@aol.co.uk>
09:38 (3 hours ago)
to me

Hi Ashley,

Sorry Ashley we don't have a formulation for this colour.

I would suggest you buy from RS if they have a formulation for the colour!

Regards,

Tim

-----Original Message-----
To: autopaintnorthern@aol.com
Sent: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 8:47
Subject: Honda Motorcycle paint
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2023, 07:55:11 PM »

Hmm this is what I got back re asking about Candy Starlight Gold.

Re: Honda Motorcycle paint
Inbox

Timothy O'reilly <autopaintnorthern@aol.co.uk>
09:38 (3 hours ago)
to me

Hi Ashley,

Sorry Ashley we don't have a formulation for this colour.

I would suggest you buy from RS if they have a formulation for the colour!

Regards,

Tim

-----Original Message-----
To: autopaintnorthern@aol.com
Sent: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 8:47
Subject: Honda Motorcycle paint

Helpful. Not.  I got a totally different reaction from them, unless its was just the fact I was there leaning on the counter.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:57:19 PM by Moorey »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2023, 09:42:55 PM »
Tank and panels arrived today. Starlight Gold as I expected. Bad news, one side panel badge has a lug snapped off, it's also got a copy side panel badge as the gold F in the middle isn't the right colour. As it happens I have quite a few of those lying about, simple fix. The panels themselves were perfect, ones a genuine panel and the other is a replica, replica is a lot heavier. Paint is fine, no scratches at all, tank is also scratch free, no dents, not the most perfect spray job I've even seen, you can see small areas where the flake is heavier, it may just need a good polish. Inside of the tank isn't fantastic TBH, not bad but small rust patches, rubber on tank cap is perished but I have a few of those spare and I'll swap the cap for a new one anyway, as I will the catch. Badges seem ok, petrol tap needs a good clean.

Fairly sure I'll use it unless I get one of the other tanks done beforehand.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2023, 08:49:43 AM »
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2023, 09:04:08 AM »
Back at half the price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314320184907

The last tank I bought from India (a while ago) wasn't very good. All mounting brackets etc were in the wrong place. Be interested to know if these Honda ones are actually any good.....
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal