Author Topic: A bit more progress  (Read 412 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
A bit more progress
« on: January 15, 2023, 04:05:33 PM »
We've had a bit of wet snow today but I was quite happy to stay in the workshop.  I recently bought a pair of thickly padded overalls from our agricultural supply place (B.F. - Johnny) - for £28.80 they are fabulous, I paid more than that for a shirt!  They need about 5 inches lopping off the legs and are very roomy.  I wouldn't like to meet the chap who they fit well, especially down a dark alley.
Anyway, with carbs still off the bike I painted the top of the cases with silver smoothrite aerosol and zinc plated quite a few screws, brackets and bolts.  Engine is still in - I'm only tidying and doing things piecemeal, which probably takes longer! Sprocket cover, clutch cover and alternator casing all came up well and new Honda badge, courtesy of Phil now fitted.  New clips from Myles Kingsport in Hull.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The downpipes are cleaning up well - a few small pits on the insides of the bends but it means I won't mind using the bike.  Still no silencer and struggling to find bending rolls so far.

I'm on with the clocks too, new face on the speedo and just waiting for the outer case paint to harden off for re-assembly - rev counter next!

Ian

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: A bit more progress
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 04:14:34 PM »
Lovely work Ian and coming on a treat, I'm up  to my neck in it too and really enjoying the fiddling. Keep it up mate, looks fantastic ;) :D
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 04:35:04 PM »
Thanks Roo,
It's been a really enjoyable job so far - nothing butchered and only a few parts needing replacement - far less than some of the other projects I've tackled.  In a bit of down time I tried my spoke spanner on the wheels after applying a bit of ACF 50 last week and everyone came 1/4 turn loose (tyres still on and wheels still in!). So I will eventually strip, re-plate spokes and nipples and polish hubs but not re-chroming or replacing rims - they're OK.  Fork legs to do as well!

Ian

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 06:19:30 PM »
Nice work Ian (wouldn’t expect anything else from you). Shaping up to be a nice summer ride. I had one of these boiler suits for years, until I set the leg on fire whilst cutting and grinding, annoying as my leg was in it at the time.😡 I seem to recall it was also long on the leg too. All made for 7 footers.😂
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal