Author Topic: 069A carbs  (Read 678 times)

Offline Gilby50

• View Profile
069A carbs
« on: January 30, 2023, 10:14:50 AM »
Hi all,

I never stop being surprised at what people will do to save a bob or two.  My 550 will never be perfect but it will be safe and will run right.

I have started rebuilding/restoring my spare set of carbs with new viton `o' rings etc to replace the ones on the bike which I know have some corrosion in the no 3 carb.

After removing the float chambers, I see 3 main jet retaining springs and the fourth jet is held in with something that looks like a blob of locktite or similar - what a bummer.

So, has anyone got a spare leaf spring about that I can purchase/obtain from them to put it back as it should be. Postage will be paid of course.

Many thanks,

Peter

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 069A carbs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 01:13:29 PM »
You can get stainless ones from 4 into 1 in the US

Offline Gilby50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 07:30:14 PM »
Yes, I had seen these but as I only need one, nearly $59 incl postage looked a bit expensive so I thought I'd ty a request on here to see if there were any in the U.K. first.

Peter

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 07:53:12 PM »
I'm breaking a bank of 069a carbs, I have No2, No3 and No4 carbs but no No1 as it had a 623B carb fitted for some reason.

I can't believe you can't buy a spring separately, even when they were new they weren't listed.

No idea what a spring is worth.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 08:22:57 PM »
I'm breaking a bank of 069a carbs, I have No2, No3 and No4 carbs but no No1 as it had a 623B carb fitted for some reason.

I can't believe you can't buy a spring separately, even when they were new they weren't listed.

No idea what a spring is worth.

About $59>dollars plus postage 🤔 c’mon guys, somebody must have a spring they don’t need….

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 08:56:54 PM »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 09:16:39 PM »
£5 plus P&P, seems reasonable considering what NRP want for one.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 10:11:42 PM »
I’d say so.

Offline Gilby50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:43:28 AM »
Hey, guys, Thankyou for your comments and help.

I have always found this forum a nice friendly place to ask for advice or bits that are not normally available on the net or anywhere else - and long may it remain so.

The retaining spring that I am short of is not a great big problem in the big scheme of life (I am 73) and if it takes me a few weeks to source one - then that is what takes. - but I am not going to be paying a silly price for one (or a set of 4) (oddjob is about right on his price) just cos some one has something that no one else has. The carbs arn't going anywhere -  the bike is running ok but not perfect - I am just trying to get it running better and to future proof it with ethanol fuel problem.  The carbs that are on the bike will be spare when I am sorted.

I have many bits from the 2 bikes that have been used to make one good safe one which when I sort them out, I will be getting rid of and the obvious place to do this will be on this forum.  (I don't want any money for these bits, only fact that they are going to keep these bikes on the road. 

Has anyone thought of sorting a place for these bits to be stored and available for the cost of postage to whoever might be in need of them? I know this can be a pain in the arse to be in charge of but I am willing to be a contributor to this stash of bits if it was set up.

When I am all sorted - probably during the summer,, I will put a list of what I have that I don't need and please feel free to let me know if anything is wanted by whoever and as long as you please pay the postage then it is yours.

Cheers,  Peter

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 01:45:15 AM »
As you are an OAP like myself, I'll do it at £5 inc P&P.

PM me if interested.

I have my own stash Peter, been collecting parts now for 40 odd years, I have thrown loads away recently as the shed roof collapsed and ruined quite a few parts. In the late 70s I had so many banks of carbs I was throwing them on the tip. Seems silly now.

If you decide No3 carb needs to be replaced I have one spare for a reasonable fee. A bank of carbs BTW is averaging between £120-160 depending on condition, they can be worth more split but then you need to sell all the parts to make a decent profit.

Offline Gilby50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 01:57:30 PM »
A big thankyou to `oddjob'  spring received, you have solved my problem so I can now get on with the carb rebuild.

Where would we be without guys like Ken.

Cheers, Peter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal