Author Topic: Help needed to identify my CB500-4  (Read 4186 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to identify my CB500-4
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 05:49:36 PM »
If you contact Honda UK and give them all the details, they will tell you what Honda dealer in the UK they suppled the bike to and the date .
Imported 500K0,s never came with that type of right hand switch gear, only the UK

Link >> http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,27955.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 05:57:35 PM »
Actually only the US got a different right hand switchgear on the K0, the European countries got the same as the UK one, it's in the parts book.

The only difference I can think of off the top of my head that some European countries got was a slightly different airbox, which had a snorkel fitted over the top of the airbox. To suit this snorkel the carbs were changed so it ran with smaller jets, not 100% sure but Germany and maybe Holland comes to mind.

Check the carb body on No4 cylinder, on the flange will be a number stamped into the body, 623B is the standard carb for a 500, if that's different then it's a definite Euro bike.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 05:59:29 PM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 06:04:24 PM »
Don't believe the parts book as there are many mistakes, look at the wiring diagram for the different switches between the 500K0 UK and europe  ;)

Offline B11sey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 06:10:04 PM »
Great  looking bike. I’ll be pleased if mine ends up half as good as that.
Impressively tidy workshop as well :)

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 07:06:17 PM »
All the US bikes had a vin plate up front. I only see the Made in Japan, so that would make it almost certainly Europe. Anyone know why Europe got K0s, but UK got next to none.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2023, 07:10:38 PM »
Great  looking bike. I’ll be pleased if mine ends up half as good as that.
Impressively tidy workshop as well :)

Yours look completely original apart from the tank and side panel paint. Nice to see the original master cylinder cap and the chrome bolts on the master cylinder clamp.
I have owned two of these in the past 10 years and once restored correctly to original spec, make good money at resale time.   

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2023, 07:27:02 PM »
All the US bikes had a vin plate up front. I only see the Made in Japan, so that would make it almost certainly Europe. Anyone know why Europe got K0s, but UK got next to none.

Could be something as simple as supply. Maybe Honda knew it couldn't supply both Europe and the USA as well as the UK. As the smallest market would have been the UK we were left out. As it turns out that wasn't to our detriment as the K0 had quite a few problems that have been well documented. The seat lock was a step backwards, the K1 lock is far superior. The reflectors are better bigger as well. Not to mention the switchgear which was slated so much by the press that Honda had to change it for safety reasons. The only thing that the K0 got right IMO was the gold colour, Starlight Gold is nicer IMO than the Candy Gold custom of the K1. No idea why they changed that, maybe they thought it looked better with bigger metallic flakes. What I'd like to know is who made the decision not to import the Candy Jade Green model, far better than the awful brown model, again my opinion.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2023, 07:59:13 PM »
I had a new 500K1 in 1972 (bought from Queens Park Motors) but can't remember the combined horn/pass button on the LH switch - it is a long time ago but remember being chuffed to have the flash button on later bikes I bought after the 500 was sold.
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2023, 08:15:20 PM »
Standard on UK models Phil, USA didn't get it though, just a horn button for them.

Looking at the pics it looks like it might be an expensive restoration if all the chrome doesn't clean up well. Certainly very dirty, lets hope it's ok under the muck.

Offline B11sey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 07:53:40 AM »
You’re right Oddjob. All the brightwork needs re-chrome or replacing. Luckily I bought a new set of pipes 30yrs ago which will save a lot.
However I’m not doing this for a profit but to relive some of the memories of the riding we did back in the day.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GYFFBn9hnBEzJmyW8

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2023, 01:28:20 PM »
You’re right Oddjob. All the brightwork needs re-chrome or replacing. Luckily I bought a new set of pipes 30yrs ago which will save a lot.
However I’m not doing this for a profit but to relive some of the memories of the riding we did back in the day.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GYFFBn9hnBEzJmyW8

Sounds like a great basis for resto. of a rare variant of the 500, particularly as you had the fore-thought to buy the genuine pipes. Always love genuine UK models.. yea I know there were all made in Japan and mine is a USA model but hey ho.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2023, 01:52:38 PM »
Love the range extending petrol cans - do you have to remove the rear winkers to fill them up?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2023, 02:09:02 PM »
[...]
The only difference I can think of off the top of my head that some European countries got was a slightly different airbox, which had a snorkel fitted over the top of the airbox. To suit this snorkel the carbs were changed so it ran with smaller jets, not 100% sure but Germany and maybe Holland comes to mind.
All countries on the European continent, except France, had that air duct and #78 main jets. These carbs had the number 649A stamped in the flange. France, like the other markets, had the 627B carbs with the #100 main jets and no air duct. Many have experimented with removing the air duct and fitting the #100 jets. It brought nothing but extra intake noise. The only reason I've found, is that back then as well as now, Germany had dB tests at idle. In order to comply Honda fit the air duct and the #78 jets. Testers found no change in performance. This model performs the same as others, only with less intake noise at idle. Why that is, we dont know. It's well possible the air duct gives a better flow and less turbulence than the gaze net the other models had.

Offline B11sey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2023, 02:31:28 PM »
Great information Deltarider and Oddjob my carbs are stamped 627B .
Thanks to everyone who has given information.

So what we know so far is:
It was produced May 71 and UK reg Aug 72
It is definatly a K0 but NOT USA spec
Originally meant for the French or Uk (unlikely) markets
Tank stripes are not standard

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2023, 03:25:43 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal