Author Topic: Help needed to identify my CB500-4  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to identify my CB500-4
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2023, 04:28:18 PM »
Got a reply back from HondaUK regarding why they decided not to import the CB500K0 back in the early 70s. As expected they know nothing. They do seem to claim that all UK CB500K0 came from Europe though. Back door imports it looks like.

Dear Mr. Pimlott,

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

We do not have any information logged within our systems regarding the CB500K0 model. After doing my research, I can see that they have been indeed manufactured for the European market, which means that at a later time people started importing them to the UK.

You can also ask our colleagues from Chiswick Honda. They are our biggest dealership in the UK and they will have more information on the matter.

Contact details for Chiswick are:

Should you need assistance with anything else, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Thank you again for contacting Honda UK.

Kind Regards,
Slav  Turchev

Honda Customer Service

I may ring Honda Chiswick and see if they have any more info. I seem to recall that was HQ for HondaUK back in the day, Power Road or something like, I seem to recall it being near Kew Gardens which I wanted to go in but my mates weren't so keen as it was a bit of a walk.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 04:35:07 PM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2023, 04:59:01 PM »
Good memory Ken, yes Power Road Chiswick, about 1/2 mile from Kew main gate, you go directly south across the Thames on Kew Bridge.

Quite a cool place in there, cycle past it often along to Hammersmith Bridge that's currently broken  :) once saw Phil Lynott near Kew just walking down the road,  also go past Marc Bolan crash site too.

Could make a tour out of that lot  ;D

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2023, 06:39:06 PM »

I may ring Honda Chiswick and see if they have any more info. I seem to recall that was HQ for HondaUK back in the day, Power Road or something like, I seem to recall it being near Kew Gardens which I wanted to go in but my mates weren't so keen as it was a bit of a walk.
Would Roger Etcell be the one to ask. When did he join Honda?
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2023, 07:28:33 PM »

Would Roger Etcell be the one to ask. When did he join Honda?

Pretty sure he joined Honda UK around the late 70's early 80's so wouldn't have been with them when the  first 500's were imported. Your man would be Ian Catford if he is still around (young guy in the pic)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 07:55:12 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2023, 08:03:59 PM »
Found this link if you've previously not encountered it, click each to reach magazine etc

https://www.cb500fourcollection.com/blog

Some good photos and many collated articles from that time.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2023, 09:17:37 PM »
Not sure if I still have it but I have another road test of the 500 that’s not on that list. In fact it’s a magazine of numerous road tests from that era, I’ll see if I can find it.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2023, 11:26:26 PM »
Done a bit of fishing Ken and Ian Catford still around and at Honda from 1968 to 1978 so definitely your man at Honda when the 500/4 was first launched.

linkedin.com/in/ian-catford-a54a096a

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2023, 12:03:33 PM »
Done a bit of fishing Ken and Ian Catford still around and at Honda from 1968 to 1978 so definitely your man at Honda when the 500/4 was first launched.

linkedin.com/in/ian-catford-a54a096a

(Attachment Link)

Well I just managed to send him a connection request without paying a huge monthly subscription to Linkedin's premium service...so we will see if he accepts. Bet he has tons of info about the early 750, 500 and twins. etc..... perhaps he may even be persuaded to  join us on here? 

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2023, 07:23:06 PM »
Nice one Ash.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2023, 08:13:22 PM »
Nice one Ash.

Bingo ! ..got a reply ..addressed to Cathy as she somehow hijacked my Linkedin account. Anyway asked him a few questions about the CB500 and will keep you posted.

Ian Catford  3:53 PM
👏
👍
👎
😊
😞

Hi Catherine (Ashley)  nice to be in touch
I joined Honda UK in 1969 as the marketing manager
It was a very young company then with cars like the N600 which used an air cooled motorcycle engine!
Nice to see what have the original CB750 KO. I launched this bike and I’m on the cover of of our first brochure ( not suitably dress!)
Let me know what info you want I must be possibly only one of a very few people who were there in those early days.
Regards Ian

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2023, 11:39:31 PM »
I'd be interested to know why the K0 was not imported and oddly enough why the Jade Green one was never a UK option. I'm betting there was some outside pressure behind the decision, especially when you read those reviews, best bike Honda ever made is one description of the 500, superior to the 750 in handling, price and comfort, why would you not import that kind of product.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2023, 10:59:22 AM »
Hi Ken asked him about why 500K0 wasn't imported in any numbers. I guess we didnt get green one as that wasn't a K1 colour.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2023, 11:42:19 AM »
I’d have asked him why the 500 wasn’t imported at all, only the press bikes were imported as far as I can make out. It’s a brand new model, the 2nd in line four and HondaUK act like it didn’t exist, something wrong there.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2023, 11:45:02 AM »
I’d have asked him why the 500 wasn’t imported at all, only the press bikes were imported as far as I can make out. It’s a brand new model, the 2nd in line four and HondaUK act like it didn’t exist, something wrong there.

Maybe they were worried that it would take sales away from the CB750?
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline B11sey

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2023, 04:50:08 PM »
Had a reply from Honda UK which said the information has to come from Japan and may take up to 6 weeks. I guess this is their std system so waiting with fingers crossed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal