Author Topic: Electrical woes  (Read 781 times)

Offline Fischmann

• View Profile
Electrical woes
« on: February 04, 2023, 10:21:41 AM »
Can anyone suggest what might be the problem here – the booster battery shows a green light when connected, but once the ignition is switched on the booster light goes red and nothing happens

I'm clueless right now regarding all things electric, so any ideas welcome

Cheers
Fischmann

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical woes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 10:38:34 AM »
Are you trying with no battery on the bike ?

The device is to boost an existing battery, certainly all the type I've used. May not function as required without.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 10:45:44 AM »
Fischmann,

Have you used it successfully like that before - without a battery in circuit? Not familiar with those jump starters,  does it need a battery - even a dead one in circuit?  If it can be used like that, then are you getting a reliable connection on the frame and the red lead from the main loom?  Does the engine turn over with the kickstart?  Are there any clicks from the left hand panel when you turn the ignition on with the set up you show in the pics?

Ian

Offline Fischmann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 11:08:07 AM »
See, I told you I was clueless

@K2-K6 – I've used this on my car successfully when the battery was flat, but obviously the battery was present – I wasn't aware that this small booster would need a battery in place. The chap I bought bike from started it with a booster without the battery present, but that was using a bigger booster unit, something like the ones that the breakdown fellas use

I'd better get a battery – any suggestions on the best option?

@Orcade-Ian – The engine turns over nicely with the kickstart – no clicks from the left panel. I'll get a battery and report back.

Thanks both for your replies
Fischmann

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 11:18:46 AM »
Yes, the bigger "starter" pack contains a decent sized battery itself, boosted by other circuitry on top of that. In effect taking the place of the vehicle battery in that arrangement.

These small starters use their little battery and possibly supplimented by capacitor (think like a camera flash charging) to give a big instantaneous thump to turn the starter on demand.  They won't replicate a missing battery though  :) they are pretty useful though as emergency starter, so no fault of that unit.

Shoukd likely be OK with a battery installed, go from there and see what you've got then.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 11:25:57 AM »
Battery buying, I go to "Tayna" batteries on t'internet, and normally choose Varta as a good reliable make with good performance at decent price.

Usually fast delivery, but you may need a specific battery model number to buy as bike type may not be in their dropdown list choice.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 11:34:01 AM »
12N12A- 4A1 or 12AA is what you need

Offline Fischmann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 11:46:38 AM »
Thanks Bryanj!

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 12:49:47 PM »
Many on the forum are fans of Motobatt batteries - there have been failures but they are generally very good.  Downside is they are canary yellow but not too bad on 500/550 as the cover is good but very visible on 400s but black gorilla tape on the visible end sorts that.  Strangely the Motobatt on my RT BMW is black - old one was yellow!

Ian

Offline Fischmann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 01:02:21 PM »
Thanks Orcade-Ian – can you tell me the advantage of having double terminals on the Motobatt?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 01:06:35 PM »
Double terminal usually means battery will fit more configuration without being specified.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/types/yb12a-a/ comparison of price.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 01:06:45 PM »
Just as an asside I have always thought that running a vehice without any battery in place can often cause issues when you disconnect the power pack as this is leaving the alternator charging an open circuit.

I am a big fan of AGM type batteries on little used vehicles as they loose charge more slowly- I buy most of my batteries from Tanya they replaced Battery Megastore as my supplier of choice. I'm a Yuassa & Varta  fan - I tried Hankook on our Jeep  (it was cheap) it failed two months out of it's warranty.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Fischmann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 01:14:03 PM »
Thanks fellas – all good info

btw, I wouldn't dream of running the bike without a battery – it's in a mildly shocking state anyway as you can see in the pics, awaiting the first steps in the restoration process

@McCabe-Thiele (Ted) – I'm enjoying your Flickr thread – I'm D:R on there

Cheers!

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 01:17:59 PM »
Thanks Orcade-Ian – can you tell me the advantage of having double terminals on the Motobatt?

As was said by K2-K6 but you can also connect a (suitably fused) charging lead to those spare terminals meaning you don't have to 'stack' terminals on one post. Small advantage but there nevertheless.
Ian

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2023, 02:11:29 PM »
Both the 12N12A-4a-1 (OEM) as well as the YB12A-A are tailor made and so a direct fit. No extra adapters needed, no risk of errors in connecting them. These conventional batteries are forgiving towards voltage spikes. All my Yuasa's served 6-7 years. They are cheap and... their lifespan doesn't start before you actually fill them. AGM can be good, but realise maintenance free batteries have began their lifespan already at the factory and you never know for how long they've been shelved... I cannot recommend gel batteries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal