Author Topic: speedo  (Read 2999 times)

Offline bobthebuilder

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
speedo
« on: July 07, 2010, 02:31:14 PM »
Hi. Guys,  Anyone out there know how to get into speedo on my KO. Have been busy working on the KO project , and slowly getting it ship shape, but driving me nuts all the little things that need sorted along with major work, glass inside speedo has marks but cant work out how to get the glass of to clean it any ideas???
Hope some one can help.
Bobthebuilder aka Jock

Offline colin400four

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: speedo
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »
Hi Bobthebuilder,

I restored my own speedo and rev counter on my 400/4 and they were a right B'stard to do. Get them off the bike ( Pic 1 ) and then remove the chrome backing cases ( Pic 2 ) . Then comes the hard part, At the base of each clock there is a chromed steel ring which at the factory was pressed into place, Bit by bit you have to prise this ring up all which when done releases the black outa shell.

Thespeedo is harder to do then the rev counter because you have the added pleasure of removing the milometer re set knob

http://www.cb400f.btinternet.co.uk/speedo.htm   This link may prove usfull to you , It did for me.

Then when you hace stripped them down, cleaned them and maybe re painted the shells in a nice new black, You have to slowly force that sealing ring down/back into place without slipping off and gouging your fine new paint work ( which yes I did and had to start all over again ... The air was blue!!!

COLIN.

Offline colin400four

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 03:35:28 PM »
Sorry,

Here is the 1st pic

COLIN.

Offline colin400four

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »
And the end result, I wanted to use vinyl overlays on the faces of the clocks but try as I might, I could not get the 2 little screws undone to release the clock faces. Sealed with loctite I think!. They were in not bad shape but the red line had faded and also the needle tips, I made do with painting the red line with a pot of paint from B&Q.

I was pleased with the result anyway, and they looked ten times better than the scratched and faded clocks the I started with.

COLIN.

rigwit

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:44:05 PM »
Nice job colin......look like showroom condition. nice one

Offline bobthebuilder

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »
Thanks Colin great looking speedos when you had finished, unfortunately speedos on 750KO are a different assembly and wont come apart that way, pity!!! any one else know how to get into them.as Colin says I think they use loctite on these things,  a well time for another cigar and a think about it!.

Jock.

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:16:56 PM »
I've just restored a pair of CB750f gauges, removing and refitting the band rather than cutting it. I've written an article on the subject that will appear in the VJMC magazine shortly. Had to make some tooling to do the job. These gauges are far more difficult than the smaller ones fitted to the 400f, a 'walk in the park' by comparison! The images posted of those 400f ones I've seen before, looks like they were taken in my garden!

If you have plastic bodies on the KO it's a case of cutting away some of the plastic case to remove the base and then bonding it back together with epoxy resin. It does however need a great deal of care. I've only ever had one apart with plastic body, a CB125s speedo. Turned out OK

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:24:28 PM »
hi,

You have to take a knife blade and remove the black plastic overlap on the back (underside) of the speedo (its about 10mm wide from memory) then you can remove the inside from the black plastic shell. There is no other way other than cutting off the plastic and then resealing with silicone or similar.

sorry this is a quicky I am going to Hampshire tomorrow at 5 am on a business trip!!

cheers for now ash
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 10:35:09 PM »
@ bob the builder
                        i dont often give away my secrets but as you are a fellow k0 owner.
right get a very sharp stanley knife or craft knife,take a deep breath and slice away the plastic cover that overlaps the metal base dont get carried away just enough to ease off the plastic cover , if you find it a bit sloppy when you replace the cover apply a bit glue (bostic or araldite) around the rim,i usually spray wd40 on the mechanism when its apart, ive done all my clocks this way (about eight in total) so no worries  :( looks like ashimoto beat me to it

Offline bobthebuilder

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 10:53:49 AM »
Thanks Kent, Ash, Steph,  Now I know what to do, just need nerve and a steady hand, thanks again.

Jock. :P

Offline bobthebuilder

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:14 AM »
Thanks Guys,
Once I knew where! I used a junior hacksaw, there in no time, will let you see finished result when done. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal