Author Topic: 750 points needed 1-4 & 2-3  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
750 points needed 1-4 & 2-3
« on: February 09, 2023, 08:31:09 AM »
Does anyone have or can recommend where to get a new set of points please?
Cheers in advance

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: 750 points needed 1-4 & 2-3
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 08:35:03 AM »
Does anyone have or can recommend where to get a new set of points please?
Cheers in advance
Here's what I've got to work with at present. Didn't seem to have the full adjustment to get them dialled in properly, so worked with what I could... Until I think the condenser on 1-4 packed up and has burnt the points. Might be salvageable but don't think these are great anyway. Daiichi logo on them if that counts for much

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 11:04:13 AM »
You set up the points by adjusting the points and not the back plate.
If you are going by a manual, that is for new Honda points and is just a starting point.
Turn the plate to middle adjustment and then put a strobe light on and adjust the points 1&4, once it is strobed in, move on to  2&3.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 11:58:03 AM »
Surely you mean the gap is adjusted by using the points but the timing is set by using the backplates don’t you Graham?

Those are not genuine points BB, genuine points have a sort of chequerboard board finish on the surface plate, aftermarket points like those are well known for being hard to set correctly. Set to smallest allowable gap possible and they tend to just time up right then.

DS sells genuine ones for £35 each plus p&p

I’ve got some genuine points somewhere, £40 a pair and I’ll throw in some nice new stainless steel screws for the points plate for, rather chewed up those ones and the wrong type as well, should all be crosshead screws not flat bladed screws.

Not sure if the pic angle is confusing it but the 2-3 points don’t look right, there should be an insulating washer either side of the plate the wires are on, to keep the wires away from earthing out through the points plate.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 08:15:32 AM by Oddjob »
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 12:20:19 PM »
Yep that red/yellow terminal looks like it maybe compromising the functionality.

Any leak out there and it'll screw with the firing on those cylinder.

I'd move that brass fitting out first to see if it'll pick those two cylinder up.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 01:37:02 PM »
Surely you mean the gap is adjusted by using the points but the timing is set by using the backplates don’t you Graham?

Those are not genuine points BB, genuine points have a sort of chequerboard board finish on the surface plate, aftermarket points like those are well known for being hard to set correctly. Set to smallest allowable gap possible and they tend to just time up right then.

DS sells genuine ones for £30 each plus p&p

I’ve got some genuine points somewhere, £40 a pair and I’ll throw in some nice new stainless steel screws for the points plate for, rather chewed up those ones and the wrong type as well, should all be crosshead screws not flat bladed screws.

Not sure if the pic angle is confusing it but the 2-3 points don’t look right, there should be an insulating washer either side of the plate the wires are on, to keep the wires away from earthing out through the points plate.

I never said the word timing  :o
My Honda crystal ball says, he has adjusted the points gap with a feeler to the manual and is now turning the plate to find the timing. And that is why the plate has run out of adjustment.
If he keeps burning parts the points are staying closed too long  ;)   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 02:07:16 PM by Trigger »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 07:42:33 PM »
It just seemed to read that way Graham, put the plate in the middle of its adjustment and then use the point gap to time it up is how I read it

Any mention of a strobe means timing to me, dwell meter would mean gap
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 03:28:51 PM by Oddjob »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 08:49:31 AM »
It just seemed to read that way Graham, put the plate in the middle of its adjustment and then use the point gap to time it up is how I read it

Any mention of a atrobe means timing to me, dwell meter would mean gap

Maybe you should pop around and show me how to set up points. Maybe my strobe light is no good. You could advise me on if i need a Hondaman box of tricks or that i need to change to electronic ignition. while you are here you could advise me on how to rebore cylinder's, insert valve guides, change valve seats, re grind valve seats to the correct spec, skim heads, alloy weld cases and do fin repairs and so on.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 08:53:44 AM »
Stop bickering you two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 08:56:41 AM »
Play nicely you two it does neither of you any credit to squabble so openly on this site.

I have no doubt you are both very knowledgeable in similar areas half the time it reads as just semantics. You are both better than this I'm sure.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 11:49:14 AM »

DS sells genuine ones for £30 each plus p&p

Thanks guys all good info and you've confirmed what I thought about the aftermarket points and yes exactly that, trouble setting the timing even with minimum gap.
I used a continuity tester buzzer initially then put a strobe on em... no expert but took my time and did the best I could and enjoyed decent running for 6 months.

Thanks for the offer buddy, very kind. Could do with a nice set of screws for the plate and points tho, if you have a spare set to part with...?
Roo has kindly offered me a great looking OE points and plate so will install that one as soon as I can and take my time setting things up. I also have a points cover in better nick, the anti-conductive paint that was a bit worn on my old one probably wasn't helping matters either 🫣

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »

Maybe you should pop around and show me how to set up points. Maybe my strobe light is no good. You could advise me on if i need a Hondaman box of tricks or that i need to change to electronic ignition. while you are here you could advise me on how to rebore cylinder's, insert valve guides, change valve seats, re grind valve seats to the correct spec, skim heads, alloy weld cases and do fin repairs and so on.

I would love someone to be able come and show me how to set the points and timing properly. But if there's a good tutorial (vid or other) somewhere that can be recommended in all ears!

P.s Hackaweek was my original YouTube tutor so I used his technique

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 12:11:00 PM »

I would love someone to be able come and show me how to set the points and timing properly. But if there's a good tutorial (vid or other) somewhere that can be recommended in all ears!

Thats where you went wrong then  ;D ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 01:39:45 PM »
Hacka week is a a bit cliche and Ithought it was a joke when I first came accross it. Dont use him!

Common motor, Revival Cycles, Classic Octane are a great place tolook and teh tutorilals are ace.If nottry Lyle's Garage, he's npot bad.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 03:22:54 PM »

You do fin repairs? I have a goldfish you could look at, if it's not too much trouble. He'd be ever so grateful..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal