Author Topic: new tyres and explanations as to what the do......interesting  (Read 781 times)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
new tyres and explanations as to what the do......interesting
« on: February 13, 2023, 02:33:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLSfj_-2yZ0

Have alook, short and sweet but full of info............................
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: new tyres and explanations as to what the do......interesting
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 09:04:44 PM »
Seen that vid Roo! It’s really informative! 👍👍
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 10:29:48 PM »
So that's why bike tyres cost so much & wear out too quickly - interesting video.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 10:32:55 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 03:42:33 AM »
Enjoyed that, makes my choice of Road 6 tyres a good one. Actually having a pair of Road 6 tyres fitted today on my new CB1300 wheels, I've been a fan since I tried the Pilot Road 3 and they lasted for over 9000 miles, the Pilot Road 4s lasted even longer at 11,000 and the Pilot Road 5 were very good except I wrecked the wheels they were on so I can't say exactly how they lasted but as good as the 4 I'd say.

Leaning towards some Avons for the 500 when I eventually get the wheels reshod.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 07:09:22 AM »
My pilot roads lasted 5k rear and 6k front, but the profile and handling qualities were lost well before that.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 08:24:39 AM »
Which version of the roads were they though Phil, the 3 was good, the 4 was better and the 5 were better in the wet. Before the 3 they weren't even half as good.

This was on a big heavy bike like the 1300 and I don't hang about and no chicken strips on mine either.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 09:19:36 AM »
Michelin are particularly active and innovative currently (historically too) with tyres, both car and motorcycle.

There's clear crossover with pattern etc in for example their mc track rain tyres and car crossclimate all season type. Those cc work in snow and into summer conditions with combination of tread design and compound chemistry.  Seemingly to mix performance and durability across temperature, wet, dry etc in very successful outcome.

They've always been regarded as leading in manufacturing tolerancing that other makers have strived to equal too, quite impressive products.

Pirelli seem to have ultimately caught up in pure performance through world super bike competition supply.  The testing this year had WSB lap time within a tenth or two of a second of last years moto gp lap times in Portugal. That wasn't the case when they started, with alot of the riders complaining of poor or varied performance from the same tyres. Thats batch to batch variability in production terms. Also in F1, Pirelli seem to have learnt alot in very high demand arena, it all does inform general tyre technology for these company and really is translatable to product manufacturing.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 05:28:44 PM »
Was using Michelin Pilot Roads for donkeys years. The 2's were good, did not like the 3's and went back to 2s. 4s and 5s just got better again.

Fronts I would change before they were worn out, as the wear tended to be on the transition area from upright to lean, which would bring a little twitch. Rears were sound. They do a Road Classic too, which I have on my daily runabout. That's been spot on in all the weathers we have had over the last year.

Michelin were at the forfront of using multi compound tyres on their road products with harder centre sections and softer rubber on the outer tread for improved grip. The adverts in the tyre place looked very scientific...but the product felt good. So I stuck with them.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 03:17:44 PM »
I used to work for a tyre company in previous life ie over 40 years ago.
Tyres are made up of various layers belts etc whose joins are offset so they don't all occur in the same place, never the less getting a tyre perfectly "round" is not easy.
Just look at your next car tyre whilst its spinning on a balancing machine to spot the runout.
We always used to use Michelin as the standard to try and achieve as they were the roundest.

One interesting fact...the tread blocks around the circumference a car tyre vary in length.
This is to stop sound harmonics building up ie reduce the chance of thrumming noise issues and thereby reducing tyre noise.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal