Author Topic: A big thank you!  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
A big thank you!
« on: February 18, 2023, 03:47:08 PM »
Well folks,
I would just like to say a very sincere thanks to the wonderful folk on this Forum and especially to Steve D for making it all happen.  I wouldn't have become the next custodian of this lovely 550 or almost all of the parts needed to get it up and running had it not been for all the help you've given.  You know who you all are - one member wouldn't even let me pay postage, so I've sent a donation on behalf of the two of us.  It's not quite finished but very close now, awaiting DVLA giving me a number.
I had my application rejected as I forgot to send a copy of a current Council tax bill to verify my address - yes, my fault entirely.  Somehow, they managed to send it back to my house and my address is on the driving licence copy I sent - that THEY issued!

Anyway, thanks again folks, you've made a happy man very old (or summat like that!)

Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: A big thank you!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 03:58:30 PM »
Ian, you should really have know better with dvla, but on an asside well done for getting there so quick

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 04:13:09 PM »
Thanks Bryan,
I will admit it was a great machine to start from and we've had a particularly crap Winter when being in the workshop was a good option and very few interruptions.  I even refurbished the clocks which I had thought would be next Winters job.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Still have to fit the 069 carbs and airbox

Looks like the clock bracket needs a bit of straightening and bar clamps re-finishing sometime.

Ian

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 04:32:07 PM »
Looks lovely Ian, well done mate she looks a beaut!

I’ve a way to go yet but as soon as I get my pipes back I’m going to try to get the old dog running!!!

Couple of weeks, bet you beat me with the new carbs

Well done pal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 05:07:00 PM »
That looks great. How about some more pics to motivate me to get on with mine.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 05:16:49 PM »
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the comment - if you want some bed-time reading - with pics, I have stuck a bit on my web-site but be warned - it's a 7 parter so far!

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/Bikes/Japanese/Honda%20CB550F1.htm

Ian

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 05:43:20 PM »
I enjoyed reading that, some great inspiration there. Couple of questions. Is your alternator cover specific to US models? mine does not have the separate Honda badge.
Same question for the single spar mudguard, mine has two.
Cheers
Gary

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 06:11:22 PM »
Hi Gary,
I am no 500/550 expert as others know only too well but certainly the F1 has the separate cover badge, others being all part of the casting.  Same with the single stay mudguard - mine is not brilliant and I just might splash out on a DS genuine one which has 2 stays and looks more complete to me - having bolt holes with nothing in doesn't look right somehow.  Yes, I know that there is that extra hole in the right leg for the two disc setup but I'm not going down that route. Somewhere back in my earlier posts I included a link to a very low mileage US F1 for sale by Randakk (aka Randall Washington) who is a stickler for originality and GoldWing Guru.  Lots of great pics from that link.

Ian

Just found it:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-honda-cb550-f-super-sport/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 06:13:24 PM by Orcade-Ian »

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 07:13:25 PM »
Wow that was quick work. Looking spick, well done.
The F2 and K3s only have the Honda cast into the generator cover. Replacement covers for F1s and the like have been a better investment than gold if you bought up a few.
The UK F1s had the twin stay front guard which I agree looks better.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline gary123

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 07:24:25 PM »
Good info guys. Thanks.
Do you know if this will fit my bike, I dont have one so cant compare. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Online Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 09:00:10 PM »
It will fit Ian but whether the indicator mounts are for the smaller 500 or for the larger 550s isn't that apparent from the pic. Easier to source the 500 type, the 550 ones can be hard to find.

The 500 one doesn't sweep up as much as the 550 one, this I think was due to the seat being slightly longer on the 550 than the 500 and had a small upsweep on the back as well to accommodate the toolkit.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 12:13:08 PM »
I've been reading the progress on your 550 on your website very interesting reading  Ian.
I also did some general browsing on other bikes & archived stuff - still hours more reading to do.

One archived item caught my attention - the  Mini (ADO15 type) front wheel arch liners.

I was a big mini enthusiast in the 1960's up until the 1990's there used to be adverts in I think it was in Car & Car Conversions Magazine or even the Sunday Mail for front wheel arch liners made out of some sort of moulded plastic type material by a Scandanavian firm iirc. I always fancied a set but at the time they were out of my reach.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 12:16:48 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 12:44:04 PM »
A great read of your progress write up Ian, great piccies too. That cam cover is mint on the inside isnt it, a top purchase that one I reckon, well done.

If you do get a new exhaust for yours and want to  shift your headers on, give us first dibs, I might be interested in those depending on how mine turn out at the coaters. Great build In, well done mate, she looks great. :)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2023, 01:04:34 PM »
It will fit Ian but whether the indicator mounts are for the smaller 500 or for the larger 550s isn't that apparent from the pic. Easier to source the 500 type, the 550 ones can be hard to find.

The 500 one doesn't sweep up as much as the 550 one, this I think was due to the seat being slightly longer on the 550 than the 500 and had a small upsweep on the back as well to accommodate the toolkit.

Not guilty Ken, it was Gary who asked the grab rail question but as you mentioned the toolkit, this is what I was pleasantly surprised with when I got the bike from James:

There are no feeler blades in the little pouch at the back and I'm not sure if it would have had that strange slotted piece that could be used to provide more torque to the screwdriver blades.  Even the metric pliers look unused 🤓

I was tempted to strip and re-plate it all but think I'll just leave it with its 'patina'

Ian

Just noticed that missing torque multiplier is in the pre-load adjuster!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:06:58 PM by Orcade-Ian »

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2023, 01:23:44 PM »
Thanks Roo and Ted,
I started that web site just over 20 years ago and maintain it myself.  I often sit with my iPad to write that shite while Christine is watching the Idiots Lantern - then email it to myself for editing on the PC.  I'm still using windows Vista plus a very early version of Photoshop and some totally out of date FTP software for uploading - non of those will run on any platform much newer, so if it goes belly up, I'm stuffed!  Too old now to learn new tricks with 'puters.

Ted, my passion for Minis (proper ones!) was started by Clive Trickey (Car and Car Conversions or 'Triple C') when he built a Mini 7 formula car from a written off van and a brand new bodyshell - £80 back in 1967 - over 10 grand now!  I had a rusty Minivan but bought a lightly damaged shell for £4 and went on from there - have had 32 Minis in total.  Yes, I remember those arch liners - not seen any for years though.

Ian
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:25:45 PM by Orcade-Ian »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal