Author Topic: Really bad cold starting. Ign or fuel?  (Read 2794 times)

Offline Scottish Badger

• View Profile
Really bad cold starting. Ign or fuel?
« on: February 22, 2023, 08:30:02 PM »
Hi folks.  My CB400F2 is giving me grief. When I bought it last year, it was a poor starter but I figured a good service and some new plugs etc would sort it out, how wrong was I!

So far, I've checked the valve clearances, ignition timing, removed the carbs and given them a full overhaul, fitted NGK Iridium plugs, new air filter, oil change and new battery. The carbs were bench-synchronised so can't be that far out.

Once the engine is running and warmed up, it's really smooth and quiet and after tweaking the idle mixture screws (max adjustment about 1/4 turn from factory on one carb, 1/8 on another two) it idles beautifully. When switched off, hot, it will re-start on the button instantly.

My problem is cold starting. No amount of throttle or choke seems to have any effect, after what seems like ages cranking it, it'll fire randomly with the choke almost fully off, repeated attempts will get it to go a bit longer each time until eventually it'll pick up and run. I've tried more and less fast-idle on the adjuster, altering the idle speed screw, and every combination of throttle and choke imaginable! I get nothing at all trying to kickstart it. The carbs have been back off and re-checked, the plugs have a lovely fat spark whilst cranking and are clean.... 

Help, it's doing my head in!!

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad cold starting. Ign or fuel?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 08:35:14 PM »
Will it start easily after standing for an hour?
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 08:54:40 PM »
Ditching the Iridium plugs would be a good start. Fit NGK D8EA.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Scottish Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 09:14:58 PM »
Ted, it re-starts just fine until the next day. Fuel flow to the carbs is good, confirmed by checking each one in turn with drain screw undone.

Julie, the Iridiums were fitted to see if they made any difference - they didn't. It was exactly the same with the D8EA's previously fitted.  I've used Iridiums in all my bikes to good effect, my XL500 fires up first kick from cold since fitting one - ok, different ignition system type, but the plug made a big difference.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 09:29:46 PM »
Try misting some e-z-start into the airbox intake before you crank it first time to see if it changes at all.

Have you got any compression figures for it ?

Offline Scottish Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 09:35:59 PM »
I haven't, no, but it feels good on the kickstart, nice and even on all 4, and you can feel it turning the crank by spanner. Doesn't sound low when cranking on the starter either.  I'll give it a little squirt of brake cleaner tomorrow whilst cranking it and see what happens.....

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 09:51:09 PM »
If it starts readily an hour later I would look at two options poor spark or poor compression. Just my first thought. I'm assuming basic stuff like the choke is operating.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.msg1731556.html#msg1731556

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 10:06:41 PM »
Have you checked simple things like jet sizes, clip position on the needle etc. Don’t assume they are correct, people change them to suit the bike and refit old stuff to sell it not thinking to change other stuff back.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Scottish Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 10:18:07 PM »
Ted & Oddjob,
Carbs have been off and fully stripped / rebuilt - all jets checked clean and correct, needles checked (one did have an incorrectly positioned circlip originally, causing #1 cyl to run a little rich). Choke functions correctly, all choke plates synchronised properly, spark is fat - checked each cyl individually, cranking on starter with the other three still fitted and yes, you can really hear the difference in compression so as much as I haven't actually done a compression test, I doubt there's any issue there to be honest and it doesn't produce any smoke on startup or when riding.
I'm 57, been working with bikes and engines in general since I was about 14 - everything checks out, yet first start of the day is horrendous!

Offline SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 10:24:02 PM »
My 1980 650 is an absolute bitch to start when cold but once warmed up is perfect.

I found a way to get it to start first time every time no matter how cold it was and it sits there and idles perfectly.

Choke on full, kill switch off. Throttle open fully, turn over engine a couple of times.
Close throttle, kill switch on, press start button and it fires first time and idles perfectly.

Don’t know if this is the proper way to start it but works for me.
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 11:08:47 PM »
Not sure if it’s of any consequence but have you got good sparks at the plugs? I nipped off the first inch of the old leads and re attached the caps to a bike showing similar symptoms that I dragged out of a barn a couple of years ago, our 400F2.

I had done same as you and found similar results although I never ran it until hot, hot as it was only in the workshop but she was at operating temp. The old leads had just lost the poke and a bit of verdigris had crept up leads causing a crap or weaker spark. If you have the length, it’s a good tip to get a better zap out of the plugs.

Obvs if you’ve already done this then I’m sure somebody that actually knows stuff will be along soon to add something of relevance to your discussion

Hope that’s at least good for thought……
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Scottish Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 11:49:25 PM »
Steve W, I'll try that in the morning and see if it makes any difference, thanks for the tip.

Roo, I have a big fat blue spark at all of the plugs, checked one at a time with the other three still fitted so the electrics were actually loaded up by the starter working against compression. Thanks for the tip about the leads though, I do have a spare set of new, unused coils that I may try (same as these, no idea of quality..  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144813238373).

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 11:54:32 PM »
Yeah sorry about that, I thought the post above was the first post. I’m in a travel lodge on a job and the Wi-Fi is awful. My bad

Just seen the rest of the posts as I went to the van for summut and put my hotspot thingy on and got some decent interweave .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2023, 12:22:25 AM »
How about plug caps, have they been changed. Once had one that failed when it got hot, possible I suppose for the opposite to happen. Or resistance in the caps may be too high at cold but ok when hot as it needs less spark to fire. Similarly resistance may be to low.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2023, 12:35:51 AM »
Have you double checked the fuel level in the float bowls. Could cause a problem.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal