Author Topic: Ceramic coating  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Ceramic coating
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2023, 08:00:02 PM »
It was a wheel paint Phil. It's on a thread somewhere. Odd sounding name.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2023, 08:42:52 PM »
I shall redouble my efforts and report….

Hey Ash, is there the remotest possibility your Honda Britain contact would know. I ask simply as the trend seems to be polish rather than paint the engine covers and I really do prefer the original, authentic look…it’s the traditionalist in me.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2023, 09:05:29 PM »
After looking at over 500 of my posts I've found the comment where someone says what they claim is the colour. He called it 5 wheel silver and was known "back in the day" as the closest match to it at that time. Whether it's still available or called that I can't say.

After searching it appears it may be.

I also spotted this which looks kinda close as well

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/normfest-silver-star-wheel-rim-silver-400ml-nor2893883

Don't forget they need to be lacquered after painting.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2023, 09:21:30 PM »
Good work thanks. I’ll give it a bash and see how it turns out.👍

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2023, 10:39:58 PM »
Heard back from Nathan, got this in an email today Phil, should be pretty easy to get hold of………

The silver was Cerakote Glacier silver code C-7700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2023, 11:22:22 AM »
Perfect, thanks both.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2023, 03:52:51 PM »
Some more parts. Decided to try the powder coating service they offered and was very pleased with the results. Not pictured the seat pan until I've fitted all the rubbers back on etc.

Some more ceramic coating, seat lock and brake splitter done in Satin Black. Speedo done in ALK. Experimented with some tacho dishes done in Satin Black as well, not the best of finishes TBH but it should be far more resistant to scratches than normal spray paint.

And some gloss black powder coating.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2023, 04:30:16 PM »
Minjt! Not bad are they mate, top contact that, well done bud ;)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2023, 05:17:55 PM »
Nice job. I love picking up powder coated parts - they go in looking like cr*p and come out like new (most of the time!!)
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2023, 05:53:40 PM »
Just noticed that the seat lock doesn't actually fit the frame bracket without it distorting, the holes for the screws don't line up properly, it may explain why you see pics of seat locks sitting a odd angles. The front screw sits perfectly, this allows the locating stub on the frame bracket to sit into the hole in the seat lock so it locates in the right place. However when it does that and you tighten the front screw up, the back end of the lock lifts away from the bracket, at first I thought it was the powder coating maybe being too thick but it doesn't feel that thick and it wouldn't allow for the holes being misaligned as well. I may have to alter the bracket to allow the seat lock to sit flat, if I do that I'd need to have the bracket redone after the modding. Bit of a bummer. I also started to put parts back together and have now found that I'm missing 2 of the rubbers for the battery case, 83618-323-000, the ones the battery sits on so it's not shaken too much. Anyone got any spare?

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2023, 06:21:36 PM »
I noticed a similar issue with my seat lock - at the moment I put it down to mine being a KO frame that should have the old style lock.
It's not a neat fit like the 400 was.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2023, 10:11:35 PM »
Ken, please, please start the build. You must have the finest collection of supremely finished parts ever.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2023, 11:46:38 PM »
Nowhere near ready Phil, not even prepped the frame yet. Engine is still in one piece as well. Getting close to starting the frame though.

Still fault finding, I need some welding done as well, found the front footrests hang slightly lower than they should, need a blob of weld on them which I'll grind down until they hang perfectly straight. I'm trying to find all the faults BEFORE I have anything painted, like I'll be drilling out the seat hinge lugs on the frame to accommodate slightly larger pins, the hinge bar has already been done and now coated.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2023, 03:54:05 PM »
More parts collected and 20 new parts dropped off for powder coating. Almost ready to start the frame, maybe this weekend I'll collect it from the lock up and start to prep it.

Parts collected today involve 7 handlebar switch halves, all 4 of the ones I'll be using and some spares, the rest were parts off my 1300. I'll post some pics of the handlebar switch halves when they have been painted with the orange lettering paint.

Dropped off today, CB550 top and CB500 bottom yokes, CB550 speedo/tacho mounting plate, L/H riders footrest, 2 x hero blob plates for riders footrests, 4 x CB500 exhaust hanger plates, CB500 rear engine hanger plate, CB500 number plate holder, seat lock plate after being modified, CB550 electrical plate under L/H side panel, starter motor body, another seat hinge bar and a few 1300 parts as well.

I have a box of bits missing somewhere, can't seem to find it, as usual it will turn up when I'm not looking for it. Not sure what's in it but for sure the engine hanger plates. Luckily I had a spare rear one so I'll get that done.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2023, 04:21:38 PM »
Must be getting close, Ken. You gonna assemble the chassis then move onto the engine?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal