Author Topic: Decent screwdrivers  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Decent screwdrivers
« on: March 03, 2023, 05:57:08 PM »
My  screwdrivers have definitely seen better days. Want to replace them  with something good but that will not break the bank... (Got the JIS stuff covered separately)

Any recommendations? I know Halfords spanners and socket sets are recommended regularly one here. Are their screwdrivers of similar quality?

Appreciate any pointers.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Decent screwdrivers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 06:22:37 PM »
Ehyup Tim,

Yeah, nothing wrong with those at all. Likewise have a look at Screwfix or Stoolstation, they have some nice kit, its cheap and is  good quality. Surely there must be something on fleabay that will be affordable and fit the bill?
I generally use electricians screwdrivers where I can as the have the shaft covered in a plastic sheath thus reducing the chance of scratching stuff when I'm not looking/concentrating/being nagged.

Have a look at the sparky stuff they're generally really good and not silly money, even Travis n Jewsons sell rather nice ones too.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 06:56:59 PM »
Thanks Roo

Stuff I have now is technically  electrical spec but cheap shite variety. Good idea re protection from scratching stuff.

I've found US pro stuff quite good with the few bits I have.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 06:58:41 PM »
The halfords generally good  with this set https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/screwdrivers-and-hex-keys/halfords-advanced-8-piece-screwdriver-set-250365.html and presumably covers what you're after ?

These are good too at this price https://www.toolstation.com/wera-kraftform-comfort-screwdriver-set/p72105 with good tip materials.

Or Bahco, but greater cost.

Me and son like the old Stanley, blue Cross head and red flat blade, pick them up at car boot sales but still really good tools and materials to last as long as they do. Not convenient to wait though, but usually only 50p or £1 each  :)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 07:02:44 PM »
I by US-PRO individual sockets and spline tools for jobs I've not got the right thing for, unusually tough especially at the good cost they go at.
One particularly stuck fixing and the tool took far more than I'd reasonably expect, surprisingly good.

I've not tried their screwdrivers though.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 07:27:02 PM »
Got heapsof the stanley blue ones from my sit edays, I'll have a rummage Tim, If I can find the box with all that in I'll bung you a couple up FOC, I'm not using them anymore, The Halfrauds stuff is ace but its a bit dear except their advanced stuff which is what I have mostly.
Got bits of US pro but not much, I agree on its toughness, You'd be hard pressed to knacker it unless you were in fullgorilla mode with scaffold bars as pivots etc.

I bought that 1/4" deive  Bahco socket set you suggested a while ago Nige, nice thing that and really well made. Got it off gumtree with some other bits for a tenner.......Top tip, cheers.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 07:33:40 PM »
Vessel Megadora JIS
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 12:14:09 PM »
Thanks for input chaps just what I wanted. Cheers for the offer Roo, over and above what I was after etc. but don't go out of your way.

I was looking at what US Pro do and many of them have what is called "go through drive". Basically the drive shank extends through the handle and has a square drive for wrench assistance for more torque. Never seen that before but to me it would make if uncomfortable to handle using it normally (most of the time??) Any experience our there?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252293048263?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Y-D8QI12SRu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Wwl4JSf7QJi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 12:48:23 PM »
The "go through" i have seen is flush with the handle top so you can hit it with a hammer, snap on(mega bucks) usually have a hex part below the handle to put a spanner on.
Nearly all old screws need either an impact driver or a clout on the screwdriver to shake them loose.
Dont forget all crosspoint screws on our old stuff is JIS not phillips or pozi.
Ken likes the later used 8mm headed bolts as used on the 250N and later and i must say they made life in the workshop a helluva lot easier

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 02:14:46 PM »
Thanks for input chaps just what I wanted. Cheers for the offer Roo, over and above what I was after etc. but don't go out of your way.

I was looking at what US Pro do and many of them have what is called "go through drive". Basically the drive shank extends through the handle and has a square drive for wrench assistance for more torque. Never seen that before but to me it would make if uncomfortable to handle using it normally (most of the time??) Any experience our there?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252293048263?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Y-D8QI12SRu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Wwl4JSf7QJi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I dont mind that type and don't find them difficult to use, that's if you're not having to do much heavy continuous turning with them. Can be used to tap the top with hammer to clear paint from fixings etc.
For longer "drives" I'm using makita powered driver in construction tasks for example, so longer use handling not so important.

Depends on your ultimate use I guess, if you've got jis for bike stuff, are the screwdrivers for other task?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 02:22:29 PM »
I bought that 1/4" deive  Bahco socket set you suggested a while ago Nige, nice thing that and really well made. Got it off gumtree with some other bits for a tenner.......Top tip, cheers.

Related but something else they do, a "pass through socket set" think originated in studwork etc

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I've got another make (but no longer sold) it allows you to reach down longer bolts etc by being hollow in it's layout. Mine makes an exceptionally good plug spanner for any sized spark plugs generally available, and particularly good on those two centre plugs of these engine. You'd need to check for clearance with this bahco but it looks all but identical to my old make in dimensions.

As noted, not strictly needed, but very useful set to get into some awkward stuff both bike and car.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023, 03:37:18 PM »
Vessel megadora can’t be beaten in my opinion. They are simply awesome.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2023, 03:46:54 PM »
Got to say I disagree with that to some extent James. I'm not saying they aren't very good, I have 2 sets but one of the things I like about my Snap On screwdrivers was the ability to use a spanner to aid in twisting, if the Vessel Megadora had that little feature I'd 100% agree with you, odd they added it to the flat blade but not the JIS screwdrivers. Unfortunately the Snap On whilst having that nice little touch didn't do JIS screwdrivers when I was in the trade. 

My Snap On screwdrivers are now over 40 odd years old and are still going great, I have one with a broken point, crosshead Number 2 but other than that they are still as good as new.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 04:02:10 PM »
Got to say I disagree with that to some extent James. I'm not saying they aren't very good, I have 2 sets but one of the things I like about my Snap On screwdrivers was the ability to use a spanner to aid in twisting, if the Vessel Megadora had that little feature I'd 100% agree with you, odd they added it to the flat blade but not the JIS screwdrivers. Unfortunately the Snap On whilst having that nice little touch didn't do JIS screwdrivers when I was in the trade. 

My Snap On screwdrivers are now over 40 odd years old and are still going great, I have one with a broken point, crosshead Number 2 but other than that they are still as good as new.
Fair comment Ken. I thought the Snapon screwdrivers were an order of magnitude more expensive (I could be wrong, I’m no professional).

My vessel Pozidrive set of screwdrivers have the Hex feature as well - 15 years of use and going strong, albeit I’m a part-timer.

VESSEL Megadora Pozidriv Screwdriver Set of 4 https://amzn.eu/d/932cpZ5

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2023, 04:06:55 PM »
Makes you wonder why Vessel decided not to include the feature on the JIS screwdrivers, I've found it very useful over the years, especially if the grips are all oily. I'd always thread the ring part on though, unlike the pic.

Yeah, Snap On were mega expensive, good warranty though, I've had a few blades replaced over the years.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal