Author Topic: Clutch push rod question ?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch push rod question ?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2023, 12:04:00 PM »
There is one listed on e bay in 3 pieces!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2023, 12:25:43 PM »
They are a 3 section rod on later ones or all one section as Ash has explained. They usually break in two parts as the chain hits it.

Yours is a common problem with the seal cutting in to the rod, which will cause the oil to weep past the seal. Have loads of rods that look the same as yours .

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]  
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2023, 01:55:23 PM »

here ya go ted £12.50 delivered (worth asking for more pics though to see any marks better)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185560330371

Note 323 part no.  ;)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2023, 02:21:00 PM »
They are a 3 section rod on later ones or all one section as Ash has explained. They usually break in two parts as the chain hits it.

Yours is a common problem with the seal cutting in to the rod, which will cause the oil to weep past the seal. Have loads of rods that look the same as yours .

(Attachment Link)

Is it brain fade or did someone  (Graham maybe) get some made as specials?
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2023, 03:35:35 PM »
That's broken Ash, no metal part on one end and it should have metal parts on both ends. The end missing is the end which Ted has all the corrosion on.

There is a modern Honda which uses a push rod of the same diameter but it's slightly longer, I'm looking at using one of those when or should I say IF I can do an hydraulic clutch conversion, however it may be able to be adapted for use as a normal push rod. I'll take some measurements and see. It's also 3 parts, one long rod with 2 metal ends.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Sesman

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2023, 04:01:33 PM »
I wonder if an old british dural push rod could be adapted to work🤔

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2023, 04:08:30 PM »
It's all about the diameter I'd imagine, it needs to be the exact same as the 500 or the seal won't seal.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2023, 04:33:17 PM »

(Attachment Link)

Similar thought from me. Seem to recall "silver" steel used, that's a ground to diameter stock heat treatable steel, and so suitable for something like this if bought in correct diameter. You could heat and quench the ends to harden after shaping them to correct radius.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2023, 04:34:11 PM »
That's broken Ash, no metal part on one end and it should have metal parts on both ends. The end missing is the end which Ted has all the corrosion on.

There is a modern Honda which uses a push rod of the same diameter but it's slightly longer, I'm looking at using one of those when or should I say IF I can do an hydraulic clutch conversion, however it may be able to be adapted for use as a normal push rod. I'll take some measurements and see. It's also 3 parts, one long rod with 2 metal ends.

whoops .. how about this one Ken?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385439436435
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2023, 04:36:50 PM »

(Attachment Link)

Similar thought from me. Seem to recall "silver" steel used, that's a ground to diameter stock heat treatable steel, and so suitable for something like this if bought in correct diameter. You could heat and quench the ends to harden after shaping them to correct radius.

If you want a plain steel one you can use a 5 speed CB450 twin one but for some reason Honda lightened that part on the late 500K0's etc to a composite of alloy and steel combo.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2023, 06:31:17 PM »

whoops .. how about this one Ken?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385439436435

That ones fine Ash.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2023, 07:02:50 PM »

(Attachment Link)

That's what I've been using for about 10 years. Had it made and treated at work. I also have a solid CB450 one, but have never tried it. I do notice that clutch bite point changes from cold to hot and thought it must be different expansion rates of engine and rod,
Modify message
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2023, 11:04:02 AM »
Whats all this then .. DS for 11 quid ??

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB450K2-SUPER-SPORT-1969/part_334320/

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 11:06:00 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2023, 04:03:58 PM »
Pretty sure they would clean up OK...only surface corrosion by the looks of it

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2023, 04:34:32 PM »
That's been on the DS site for a while iirc - unless they have a box of NOS rusted ones.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal