Author Topic: Clutch push rod question ?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch push rod question ?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2023, 05:46:43 PM »
That's been on the DS site for a while iirc - unless they have a box of NOS rusted ones.
They do have a large box of rusty NOS pushrods and the one Ash put a link to is one of them.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2023, 06:26:19 PM »
Depends on how deep the rust corrosion goes Ash. I've bought a couple so I'll let you know.

I wonder if anyone has tried to repair a broken one? a quick 4mm tap down the centre of each piece and you might be able to screw them together.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2023, 07:09:12 PM »
Whats all this then .. DS for 11 quid ??

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB450K2-SUPER-SPORT-1969/part_334320/

Nice to be ignored. I posted the link a couple of days ago.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2023, 07:31:24 PM »
We ignore you all the time Seabeowner  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just joking.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2023, 08:14:08 PM »
Whats all this then .. DS for 11 quid ??

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB450K2-SUPER-SPORT-1969/part_334320/

Nice to be ignored. I posted the link a couple of days ago.

I wasn't ignoring you ..never saw your post. You try to help people on here but it comes back in your face.
Often wonder why I bother .. don't need anything for any of my bikes ..just trying to help others.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2023, 08:20:15 PM »
What strikes me as odd is that Honda do not use the same part number across different models?

I've ordered a pattern part from CSML so I will report back.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2023, 11:47:08 AM »
Part arrived from CSML a couple of days ago it is a brilliant replica - no extra import duty cost me £59.28 including postage & exchange rate etc.

Not cheap but well pleased - its like the original a composite of three sections.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2023, 12:10:56 PM »
Result Ted!
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2023, 05:18:33 PM »
Thought I'd post some results on the DS rusty rods they are selling.

I thought I'd order a few and see if they were able to be reclaimed, I thought 5 would be a good start and they arrived this morning along with some other bits I'd ordered.

However I must warn anyone thinking of doing this, it seems to be pot luck what you get. At first I thought I'd got around 2 decent ones, 2 so so and 1 bad. I took some before and after pics of them so you can see what I recieved, you may be lucky and get a good one or you may be unlucky and get a bad one, whether they sorted them and send me the best ones available I couldn't say, not beyond the realms of possibilities.

I graded them worst to best. Some had one end ok and some had both ends ok.

The important part first. Apologies for poor quality pic. Worst is at the bottom. The important part here are the lines, there are 4 lines on a genuine rod, (and of course I only took a pic with the first 3 in DOH!!) the first 3 sections aren't that important TBH, they are inside the lifter mechanism and so long as that is intact and unbroken the rod will work fine, the important part is the 4th section, that's where the seal sits. You can see rust on the top rod in that section and as it turns out that rod was almost junk. As we'll see later.

Now the end inside the clutch basket and also inside the clutch mushroom, not vitally important this section, it's covered in oil all the time so even a little rust won't go any further, so long as it's intact and the rust has been removed I'd say it's ok. What you can see on that pic is the condition of the alloy part of the rods, some surface staining and corrosion going on but nothing too bad.

So that's before, let's see after. As I said before, it's the 4th section that's important and the top rod is badly corroded, it could possibly be reclaimed, maybe a smear of araldite and smoothing off afterwards could work. Bottom 3 rods are good in that area, the one next to top has some corrosion on the 4th section BUT it's not where the seals sweeps so that is also a good rod. In case you're wondering where exactly the seal sits it's about halfway down the 4th section and it goes inward about 5mm and outwards about 8mm, I think the inward movement is rebound from when the clutch slams shut. The outward is from the clutch lifter action. If you study Teds pic at the start of the thread you can clearly see the amount of sweep involved.

Other end. Only the nearest rod had any significant corrosion but nothing major, doesn't matter as I said, very usable either way.

And finally a pic of them all done, all the alloy corrosion and staining removed and the rods nicely polished up.

So in conclusion, are they worth the money, yes if you get a good one, no if you get a bad one and a maybe if you get a so so one. Took me about 20 mins on each one to get them to that condition but I have the stuff to do that easily, by hand? a couple of hours work I reckon.

Cost of a new genuine rod is around £70-80 or so, some as low as £50 but involve large amounts of postage and possibly import duties.

A copy rod is as Ted says around £50. HOWEVER, Ted was correct in saying they are constructed in pieces (only 2 pieces looking at the pic on CMS) but incorrect in saying they are constructed the same, they are not. The copy rod only has 3 lines not 4 lines like the original, the part where the seal sweeps is actually on the rod not on the steel bonded section. Not sure what the rod is made of but if the seals sitting on alloy it won't wear the same as steel, if the rod is steel are we going to get the expansion (and possible clutch slip) when it gets hot that made Honda make the rod in 3 parts in the first place.

The choice now is yours, take a chance or not.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2023, 09:31:44 PM »
Thought I'd post some results on the DS rusty rods they are selling.

I thought I'd order a few and see if they were able to be reclaimed, I thought 5 would be a good start and they arrived this morning along with some other bits I'd ordered.

However I must warn anyone thinking of doing this, it seems to be pot luck what you get. At first I thought I'd got around 2 decent ones, 2 so so and 1 bad. I took some before and after pics of them so you can see what I recieved, you may be lucky and get a good one or you may be unlucky and get a bad one, whether they sorted them and send me the best ones available I couldn't say, not beyond the realms of possibilities.

I graded them worst to best. Some had one end ok and some had both ends ok.

The important part first. Apologies for poor quality pic. Worst is at the bottom. The important part here are the lines, there are 4 lines on a genuine rod, (and of course I only took a pic with the first 3 in DOH!!) the first 3 sections aren't that important TBH, they are inside the lifter mechanism and so long as that is intact and unbroken the rod will work fine, the important part is the 4th section, that's where the seal sits. You can see rust on the top rod in that section and as it turns out that rod was almost junk. As we'll see later.

Now the end inside the clutch basket and also inside the clutch mushroom, not vitally important this section, it's covered in oil all the time so even a little rust won't go any further, so long as it's intact and the rust has been removed I'd say it's ok. What you can see on that pic is the condition of the alloy part of the rods, some surface staining and corrosion going on but nothing too bad.

So that's before, let's see after. As I said before, it's the 4th section that's important and the top rod is badly corroded, it could possibly be reclaimed, maybe a smear of araldite and smoothing off afterwards could work. Bottom 3 rods are good in that area, the one next to top has some corrosion on the 4th section BUT it's not where the seals sweeps so that is also a good rod. In case you're wondering where exactly the seal sits it's about halfway down the 4th section and it goes inward about 5mm and outwards about 8mm, I think the inward movement is rebound from when the clutch slams shut. The outward is from the clutch lifter action. If you study Teds pic at the start of the thread you can clearly see the amount of sweep involved.

Other end. Only the nearest rod had any significant corrosion but nothing major, doesn't matter as I said, very usable either way.

So in conclusion, are they worth the money, yes if you get a good one, no if you get a bad one and a maybe if you get a so so one. Took me about 20 mins on each one to get them to that condition but I have the stuff to do that easily, by hand? a couple of hours work I reckon.

Cost of a new genuine rod is around £70-80 or so, some as low as £50 but involve large amounts of postage and possibly import duties.

A copy rod is as Ted says around £50. HOWEVER, Ted was correct in saying they are constructed in pieces (only 2 pieces looking at the pic on CMS) but incorrect in saying they are constructed the same, they are not. The copy rod only has 3 lines not 4 lines like the original, the part where the seal sweeps is actually on the rod not on the steel bonded section. Not sure what the rod is made of but if the seals sitting on alloy it won't wear the same as steel, if the rod is steel are we going to get the expansion (and possible clutch slip) when it gets hot that made Honda make the rod in 3 parts in the first place.

The choice now is yours, take a chance or not.

As usual Ken is right in addition I would add that the CSML part "appears" to be in two parts all steel but it might be one piece hard to tell for sure - the finish looks like either hard chrome or even steel tube, it weighs 97 g compared to 45 g against my original.

The original part has four lines but the fourth line looks like a joint where the alloy tube is joined to the steel end it is not a full groove like the first three. I did wonder if the CSML is a copy of the early version?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 12:33:24 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2023, 04:16:00 AM »
Funnily enough Ted the pic CMS uses to show the original rod only has 3 lines, could be a very early version or might not be a 500 rod at all, just a generic pic.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal